• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, writers are comfortable with stagnation, but that doesn't make it okay. Ash is effectively a new character every generation, a completely blank slate, why they still use the name and image, I don't know. The Pokemon Adventures manga survives just fine with new protagonists, and it's never too late to breathe new life or take healthy risks in an established franchise.

I never said that it was okay. It's just the way it is. The difference with Pokemon Adventures and the anime is that they started having new protagonists with each generation starting with the second generation. Starting that so early, as opposed to sixteen years later, makes the change far less jarring. It worked fine with Pokemon Adventures and if they had started that around either the second or third generation, since Johto was still part of the original series, for the anime, then it probably would have turned out fine. I do think that it's far too late to replace Ash. There's no reason for them to take a huge risk like that with changing an iconic character with some new character. It doesn't matter that Ash is a blank slate each series or that it is stagnant. If the anime is still doing well and more importantly, the merchandise is still selling, then they aren't going to even consider doing that.

Quirky Circuit said:
I want to see a new protagonist, not because of the handling of Ash, I don't care about that, but because they already treat him like someone new anyway. And I think that's lazy, especially since the brand doesn't revolve around him. He ain't the Bruce Wayne of this franchise, he isn't the face on toy boxes or game boxes, or manga. It's always something different, so I say take the risk.

Again, they won't do it, japanese animation is a revolving door, nothing ever really changes with any of their properties. Yoda says it best;

"You must learn to let go-"

I can understand wanting a new protagonist and while he isn't the Bruce Wayne of the franchise, he is still used in most of the merchandise for the anime. I still see Ash figures, although usually only at the start of a series, he's on Pokemon books for younger readers along with his other frineds and I think on clothes as well. He's not the face of the whole franchise like Pikachu is, but he is the face of the anime. Being the protagonist for so long is a significant reason, if not the main reason, that they aren't going to replace him.

It was more of a statement toward the animation crew, they "think it's okay". Obviously they do, because they've stuck with the same protagonist. And it's not jarring if you treated the property as intended; it is for children, and about every three-four years we get a new generation, and therefore a new protagonist, so it isn't jarring as new kids are the priority, and they would have no idea about Ol' Ash Ketchum. I simply don't see it as so significant to keep him around. The kids who grow up will reflect and desire a new protagonist, 'cause they're getting older, and new kids would have someone that's actually new (instead of only sort of) to root for.

And, hey, I see Ash figures on the shelf too. They're peg warmers around here, no kid is buying Ash.

It was more of a statement toward the animation crew, they "think it's okay". Obviously they do, because they've stuck with the same protagonist. And it's not jarring if you treated the property as intended; it is for children, and about every three-four years we get a new generation, and therefore a new protagonist, so it isn't jarring as new kids are the priority, and they would have no idea about Ol' Ash Ketchum. I simply don't see it as so significant to keep him around. The kids who grow up will reflect and desire a new protagonist, 'cause they're getting older, and new kids would have someone that's actually new (instead of only sort of) to root for.

Even with new kids coming in, if it was that easy to replace Ash with absolutely no negative consequences, then I think that they would have done this ages ago. Yeah, new kids come in every few years, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a new protagonist would be well received or that the new protagonist would be any different from Ash. The latter would just make the change virtually pointless. There's just too much of a financial risk for them to try replacing Ash after he has been around for so long.

Quirky Circuit said:
And, hey, I see Ash figures on the shelf too. They're peg warmers around here, no kid is buying Ash.

I don't know how many kids buy Ash figures in my area, but if they weren't selling, then they wouldn't be making new figures of him with every new series.

Personal opinion, but the reason why they haven't replaced Ash for 16 years seems like this

After Kanto
"Looking good! People love Ash after the Orange League! Let's keep him in Johto as well! Sorry, Ethan!"

After Johto
"Hmm, at least the rivalry with Gary was done splendid. We might do better with Ash next time! Oh hey, here's an idea - how about sending him to the next region where tyere's no rival? Now that's an idea!"

After Hoenn
"AG has done wonderfully! Let's keep Ash - and how about a mean rival?"

After Sinnoh
"This is just too good! We love Ash!! He's our money maker! Let's keep him in BW as well"

So yeah - even if they had many chances to do so, they didn't replace Ash because the previous series were done well. They didn't replace Ash at th start of BW because he had done so wonderfully in DP that they didn't want to let him go, that they thought they could pull it off again.

Yep. And they'll keep Ash cuz they obviously think they'll be able to bring back that glory of DP. Yup - not gonna happen, and we'll end up seeing recycled Ash being even more sacrificed.

I don't approve of Ash leaving until he becomes a badass.

That aside, yes and no.

No, because part of me will miss Ash. He's been around for so long, nostalgia, blah, blah, blah. (This was probably mentioned in the last 63 pages, but it would have been so much easier if they started with Jimmy in Johto and so on for each region; changing Ash now would be a bit awkward to me since he's been here for so long).

Yes, because Ash just seems to regress every time he goes to a new region and I'm starting to pity him. Unova hit him the hardest and he's a complete noob again. As the main character, I just think he should stop losing all that he's learned and he needs to win a little more. I feel that Ash can become a Pokemon Master and the series doesn't have to end, obviously because we have protagonists from the games, who can be more than just movie cameos. It's much easier to see a newbie lose their first few battles, but Pikachu losing to a lv5 Snivy is unacceptable even without Electric moves. And it's not like he'd never come back, right? Surely he would. But this endless cycle or not being able to win leagues is getting painful.

The show would just feel weird without Ash. For me, the story is about him and the Pokémon he discovers.

I'm really kinda mixed on this one. I don't know. I do feel like he's been dragged out for too long, yet I will miss him when he leaves...I think it's for the best he is replaced at this point, though. He peaked in competence and in strength in DP (as much as I hated him there). There's really nothing more for him to do unless he manages to become a badass in X and Y, which I don't see happening.

Now TRio, I could go into a page-long rant about why I want them gone, but that's another story for another day. ;)

The show would just feel weird without Ash. For me, the story is about him and the Pokémon he discovers.

Still, the show is titled "Pokemon" not "Ash and Pika". Other long running shows with characters staying in the show for over 15 years (Detective CONAN, DORAEMON, SHIN-CHAN) are specifically titled and therefore, meant to be all about that one single character - thus, they can't be replaced.

Pokemon can do without Ash. It's just the fact the anime will never replace him regardless.

Still, the show is titled "Pokemon" not "Ash and Pika". Other long running shows with characters staying in the show for over 15 years (Detective CONAN, DORAEMON, SHIN-CHAN) are specifically titled and therefore, meant to be all about that one single character - thus, they can't be replaced.

Pokemon can do without Ash. It's just the fact the anime will never replace him regardless.

Ash's name isn't in the title, but considering that every series has been focused on his journey with Pikachu and their friends for over fifteen years and he's still used for marketing purposes for the anime, I don't think it matters. He has been the main character for well over a decade. Ash isn't the face of the whole franchise, but he is one of the two faces used for the anime. Besides that, I don't think that the the anime could do without Ash due to how long he's been around and even the Pokemon Chronicles specials revolved around characters Ash had met during his travels or his friends, so they weren't breaking too far away from him. At this point, I don't think that Ash can be replaced.

Is it considered blasphemy if I call Ash Ketchum the Rodimus Prime of Pokemon...actually no, The Rodimus Prime of NINTENDO as a whole?

Yes because he is selfish and will never be a "Pokemon Master". That sums the anime up.

I understand why this is written but to say he's selfish is a little overboard, don't you think?

I don't think being a pokemon master will justify Ash being on the show or not. He can still be replaced by another boy who loses leagues and is basically a rookie. I guess I'm so used to him that it would seem strange to have him off after all this time. But if they wanted to replace him, then it's the writers decision. I rather not. I rather they have written Best Wishes much better than they did, instead of doing a OS/Johto type series with a depowered Pikachu that just came from busting legendaries and uber pokemon.

Do I think he should be replaced? Yes. He has gotten old, we need something new, fresh and exciting.
Is he going to be replaced? Nope, because he's the icon of this anime along with Pikachu and the writers are afraid of writing him out.

Yes because he is selfish and will never be a "Pokemon Master". That sums the anime up.

I understand why this is written but to say he's selfish is a little overboard, don't you think?

I don't think being a pokemon master will justify Ash being on the show or not. He can still be replaced by another boy who loses leagues and is basically a rookie. I guess I'm so used to him that it would seem strange to have him off after all this time. But if they wanted to replace him, then it's the writers decision. I rather not. I rather they have written Best Wishes much better than they did, instead of doing a OS/Johto type series with a depowered Pikachu that just came from busting legendaries and uber pokemon.

That was Ash's Dream in the very first Episode of Pokemon, "I want to be a Pokemon Master", yet It was also referenced in some Episode of BW.
I've been following Ash since the First Season and up to now, I have yet to see some progress. As for replacing him, we can all say that he should have been replaced a long time ago. If they really wanna replace Ash right now, they need to end his Story first then decide to make a new Protagonist that is NOT a 10 Year Old trainer with a Pikachu again.

And yes I agree they should have written Best Wishes better because It was really disappointing to watch. Stale, nothing really interesting in each Episode. The fact that Pikachu feels underpowered in this Series made me want to stop watching Pokemon all together. Its like they don't care about Pikachu anymore.

That was Ash's Dream in the very first Episode of Pokemon, "I want to be a Pokemon Master", yet It was also referenced in some Episode of BW.
I've been following Ash since the First Season and up to now, I have yet to see some progress. As for replacing him, we can all say that he should have been replaced a long time ago. If they really wanna replace Ash right now, they need to end his Story first then decide to make a new Protagonist that is NOT a 10 Year Old trainer with a Pikachu again.

And yes I agree they should have written Best Wishes better because It was really disappointing to watch. Stale, nothing really interesting in each Episode. The fact that Pikachu feels underpowered in this Series made me want to stop watching Pokemon all together. Its like they don't care about Pikachu anymore.

Ash has been 10 years old for more than 10 years now. It's like each two weeks in the Pokemon Anime is like a year in our time. And Pickachu is so annoying. He's arrogant as well and I think he's worse than Ash. I wish I could just say it but Pikachu is a D- word. Annoying. :(

Last edited:

Ash has been 10 years old for more than 10 years now. It's like each two weeks in the Pokemon Anime is like a year in our time. And Pickachu is so annoying. He's arrogant as well and I think he's worse than Ash. I wish I could just say it but Pikachu is a D- word. Annoying. :(

Yes Pikachu can use a break. However if it wasn't used all the time then maybe things would be different. Also you need to keep in mind that due to Pikachu's popularity, it is the reason why it still exists on this show. I don't see what this has to do with rather it is arrogant or not. It's a pokemon programmed to do what it's trainer tells them to. And I don't think Ash and been arrogant lately. In fact he has been kind. Alittle too kind.

Yeah, his character is boring and pointless now with his regression in the Unova League and he can't move forward in character development anymore

I want Ash to be replaced so bad after his regression in the Unova league, how boring he's gotten, and how much character development he's gotten from the OS to DP just thrown out the window. They're never gonna do it though because it all goes back to Pikachu. Pikachu is the most popular Pokemon and he's basically the mascot for Pokemon and this status just gives the writers a need to constantly market him and remind people he's always there even though nobody is gonna be forgetting about him anytime soon. At this point, especially with how much focus he got over the Unova Pokemon, I'm sick of Pikachu and he AND Ash need a break.

When you think about it Ash to anime is same like Naruto is to Naruto, Luffy to One Piece, Goku to DBZ etc. All of them are driving force of some show, their representatives and getting rid of any of them would reflect badly on marketability of franchise and fandom in general.

Im not speaking to pokemon franchise as whole, but to anime Ash and Pikachu solidified their position so deep over 15 years becoming basically main faces, icons of whole anime with people associating series to them. Whoever you meet who heard about pokemon, most recognizable characters from series are those two being their main promoters.

At one side we have protagonist who is carrying out name of pokemon creator himself(mr. Satoshi Tajiri) being probably way of recognition and on other there is yellow mouse(Pikachu) who is main mascot not only for series but whole pokemon franchise in general.

Take out any of them and you pretty much tarnished series reputation and icons with who fans associate anime with making easier to spread pokemon to younger generations that way and get them hooked on it.

Ash is important to anime just like Pikachu is and having him leave would be very bad move from business standpoint dropping basically main source of profit and bedrock on which series reside.

Popularity and someone recognizabilty always play important factor and i believe most of us in here are underestimating that when easily throwing around hypothesis of "Ash departure not making any difference".

When some character becomes too popular and important in series his departure almost never goes without blast-of.
In retrospective both members of original trio were viewed as crucial asset to anime back than with most fans becoming so attached and used to characters and original group as whole that their leaving was unthinkable. As result of that their exit was anything but well received among fanbase.
When Brock was ditched during Orange Islands that move lifted up a lot of dust among people,and Misty's departure was ten times worse received causing big backlash from international fandom with good portion quitting with anime only because of this finding show lost its value and purpose.

Same applies to Ash but only to much, much larger scale. He became too valuable to anime with most people worldwide being too used to him, millions of fans grew up with his journey and he became pokemon show embodiment.In Ash case complaints would be 100 times bigger.

Some could try to argue how with other companions and Brock second departure didn't raised much of storm, but that's because people became used to supporting cast changes,
Ash is in a whole another league being main promoter of pokemon with whole show being about his journey and quest of becoming pokemon master. He is viewed as un expendable and crucial asset of this show that his departure would only create shock and major disappointment among fandom. New generations would become confused with alternate series and different protagonist with franchise losing established brand, someone with who younger kids can connect anime with becoming turned of from it.

Getting new kid with Pikachu cant work either because Ash and Pikachu are viewed as pair, being pokemon anime themselves. Remove any of them and you lost brand producers established about pokemon. Something which can never die and get replaced.

Realistically either Ash or Pikachu being removed involves too much risk for writers and producers to take, and trying to get rid of someone who steered this show for 15 years is just asking for trouble.

Needless to say introducing new male will change exactly what? We would have basically another Ash clone going through another gym quest as rookie tagging along yellow rodent with him. Sounds familiar?
Now real question is who would like to watch this kind of rerun?

Step toward improvement doesn't lie in replacing main protagonist people because that way writers will just transfer all bad writing and mistakes done with Ash character on next guy repeating same repetitive scenery. But in actually first cleaning up mess they made with current characters digging into past and evaluating what they did wrong, what turned out to be mistake having guidelines and history through which they can act upon and bring back character on right track.

Additionally with Ash there exist potential to take him forward doing sequel to his history and established storyline doing more notable progress toward his dreams, build on his dynamic with other characters, have him mature more as person learning how to be more calm and rational in battles growing forward. Something it cannot be done with new guy who doesn't have any background, developed storyline to degree which wpould allow to take him forward nor established relationship and connections with past adding to his credibility as trainer and allowing to inject more subtle changes to plots which surround him.

By taking look at other shows like Beyblade where accomplished characters like Tyson or Gingka have sequel to their stories after becoming champions in world, or Bakugan where Dan and others grow through complex, more substantial way there is no doubt how wr8twrs could go with Ash forward after winning league for change showing to be just one in line of steps someone need to obtain before becoming pokemon master(as confirmed by E4 Lucian).

Otherwise his whole existence in this show, years of traveling, establishing pokemon teams and all achievements our hero made in past would become pointless if we get rid of him in middle of road before achieving any of his aims. Honestly i would much rather like to follow build up on Ash story taking him forward on bigger, better things than letting all potential to do more go to waste just to watch his clone going through basics all over again. That way story and writer skills can't grow at all just doing repeat of what they done before.

Not to mention if Ash is gone all other older characters(like May,Misty,Dawn,Brock etc) who could offer more developing their stories further would stop existing as well enduing unfinished and forever erased.
Something which doesn't need to be case as long main protagonist is present in pokemon.

Case and point: Ash leaving would be huge mistake and he should remain until anime series regarding pokemon end for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom