• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

LMAO, I've answered this question 10 times already. There is NO risk. New generation of kids watch each saga.
Um...no. There is a risk the show gets top 10 in ratings each week, and markets the toys and games great now. Given the franchise is one of the most popular boy franchises, why would they risk it? And no you didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again. Why should Satoshi be replaced?
The writers can drop Ash for the same reason any other main character has been dropped. And yes, Ash's friends aren't as important as he was, but they were still once in every episode and in the early days, Misty/Brock "seemed" as important to the anime in general, and now they're both gone.
This isn't about Kasumi and Takeshi, it's about Satoshi. Why should he be replaced? It'd be the exact same thing Pikachu, Badges, League Lose, Gym Battles, traveling companions. Rinse and Repeat. What's the point and why take the risk?

And what would happen to those kids stuck in the middle between generation? They spend a few years getting to know Ash and Pikachu, and then boom they replace him.

There is a risk the show gets top 10 in ratings each week, and markets the toys and games great now.

WTF does this have to do with anything? You're saying Ash not being there is going to somehow drop sales of toys/games/anime?

Where in the world do you have any support for this argument? Here is the 20th time I will say this, NEW KIDS will come in with a new generation. This is an endless cycle of new fans, old fans who were around for Ash's "era" will not matter.

WTF does this have to do with anything? You're saying Ash not being there is going to somehow drop sales of toys/games/anime?
The same exact thing happened with other shows like Pokemon. Now answer my question. Because I have answered every single one of yours. What's the point in replacing Satoshi?
Where in the world do you have any support for this argument? Here is the 20th time I will say this, NEW KIDS will come in with a new generation. This is an endless cycle of new fans, old fans who were around for Ash's "era" will not matter.
It's not rocket science to know that the show is going to be marketed the same exact way. The show HAS to be about a trainer going around with a Pikachu(Pikachu's the Mascot) going on adventures, with traveling companions, earning badges, Entering Leagues and foiling evil plans of the Team of the Region. Unless Game Freak's changes the games, that's how it is. So finally I hope you'll answer me. What's the point in replacing Satoshi?

How could ratings decline if new kids replace old ones? The show would remain relatively consistent.

Why would they waste their time to designa new character and a new background story? There is no point! Once again, what about the kids who still grew up with Ash, but aren't old enough that it's expected for them to stop watching?

How could ratings decline if new kids replace old ones? The show would remain relatively consistent.

Ratings would drop because some would be turned off from the show, Satoshi and Pikachu have something called originality. People recognize him and his Pikachu older and new. When you throw in a new guy, your risking yourself and your franchises face. There's no point in replacing him when the show would be the same thing Pikachu, Trainer with Head Strong Shonen Attitude, Gyms, Badges, Friends, Happiness and Friendship Message, League Lose Rinse and Repeat. That's how things would go, and it serves no purpose but, to alienate the audience. Now answer my question, Scott.

"Why should the writers replace Satoshi?

Now please answer my question, why would the writers take the risk and replace them when the ratings are high and the sales are high? What's the point? To please older fans who want "closure" and "an ended story"? No, that's not how it works.

Anyways it is risky but it could lead to more dedicated fans(if we can be more dedicated). Although pikachu is money Ash lost some flaws making him boring (I cared whether the characters were interesting as kid I don't know about you) you can't bring those flaws back cause that would be as much of one more day as BW001 and new flaws could very well back fire so logically Ash should get the boot. And they could easily make something with Pikachu. How about... Pike is a new trainer... who is hotheaded and aggressive (kids love a cool guy with a short fuse) ... he relies on only attacks for battles... but is smart but very stubborn and he meets a girl with a walking Pikachu in the first route or a early forest... who was his best friend before she moved but they decided to travel together and she keeps his anger in check(cue the shipping amv's). ... and they meet a sushi chef*everyone looks at me funny*

Okay you get the idea. The point is although I made lots of stories; I never wrote them down in a professional manner. So if I can create Pike the most easily relate-able character ever imagine what educated payed writers can do.

I don't know who "Pike" is. But, Satoshi has no where near peaked, even he didn't know about Pururiru's "Cursed Body" Ability. Even then, it would be pretty sloppy managing to replace Satoshi because he "peaked". The producers worked hard getting this franchise were it is today, I don't see why they would risk all that just for the sake of doing what older anime fans on the Internet want.

True, it may be interesting to see how things would go down. I just don't see why the writers would even risk there Multi-Million Dollar Merchandising Franchise for the hell of it.

I hope my quote clear things up. What I meant was Satoshi peaked at being interesting. I'm skeptical that anything as awesome Paul will breath life back into Satoshi character. It's easy to create a relate-able character who is different cause I with no experience (besides entertaining myself with unwritten stories) did it just now.

I said this before but you were too busy with Gliscor'd. He lost half of his flaws which is good story telling but leaves him as a less relate-able ideal goody-good. A flawless character is a bad one. He can gain new flaws which suit him but which flaws suit him is hard to define. Yes I admit he still very flawed but the flaws he is left with are more grating than anything. Now I know what you're think "kids don't care!", well by if they followed that logic the show wouldn't be so well built in the first and we wouldn't be obsessed with it!

Well I know you still like him but he can and should leave (IMO of course)

Why would they waste their time to designa new character and a new background story? There is no point! Once again, what about the kids who still grew up with Ash, but aren't old enough that it's expected for them to stop watching?

By that logic why did they introduce May, Dawn, Iris and Cilan?

You think the writers are somehow adverse to bringing in new characters all with different backstories and personalities?

You think the writers are somehow adverse to bringing in new characters all with different backstories and personalities?

The reason Dento, Haruka, Hikari, and Iris came is because they are in the newer respective games, and the only reason they exist is to market the game. But, this isn't about them. Back to Satoshi, why should they replace him?

They brought May and Dawn in because of the introduction of contests. No one in the current team would work as a coordinator. There are no contest halls in Unova so May and Dawn don't help anymore. Unova was supposed to be the fresh start. Going back to travelling with two gym leaders, all new pokemon, almost no old characters. Unova is the closest they'll get to a reboot.

They brought May and Dawn in because of the introduction of contests. No one in the current team would work as a coordinator. There are no contest halls in Unova so May and Dawn don't help anymore. Unova was supposed to be the fresh start. Going back to travelling with two gym leaders, all new pokemon, almost no old characters. Unova is the closest they'll get to a reboot.

Yeah, but they still introduced all these new characters. And every saga has new rivals. And Ash's old pokemon are always replaced by new pokemon.

So its not like introducing a new main character is any difficult. If the writers wanted to keep things 100% the same, the show right now would be exactly the same as it was in Johto.

Is there a problem with that? Don't fix what's not broken.

Yeah, but they still introduced all these new characters. And every saga has new rivals. And Ash's old pokemon are always replaced by new pokemon.

So its not like introducing a new main character is any difficult. If the writers wanted to keep things 100% the same, the show right now would be exactly the same as it was in Johto.
The only reason they do that is to market the new games. That's absolutely it. New game characters, new Pokemon characters. When people see them they want to buy the games that's absolutely it. It's hardly anything new.

Now, why should Satoshi be replaced? Why?

Is there a problem with that? Don't fix what's not broken.

Yet the show continues to change every saga. They obviously like changing things. If they "didn't fix which wasn't broken," the show would have stayed the same way it was in Johto.

Meet Hilbert, a 10 year old from Nuvema Town. One day he got up to get his starter Pokemon from Proffessor Juniper, but when he got there was told she had gone over to his neighbor, Hilda's house with the Pokemon. When he arrives there to his dismay the starter Pokemon have been taken! He storms out of the place and ends up in a clearing. He sees something move within the bushes. To his surprise, an injured Pikachu?! But those are rare in Unova! Now join Hilbert and his new partner as they travel through the Unova region, make new friends Iris and Cilan, battle rivals Bianca, Cheren and Hilda, confront Team Plasma and the mysterious N and find out about Pikachu's past all while trying to conquer the Unova League!

Not that hard to come up with a story. And the designs are already done. And doing this they don't risk ruining what's been established with Ash and friends.

Yet the show continues to change every saga. They obviously like changing things. If they "didn't fix which wasn't broken," the show would have stayed the same way it was in Johto.

Why should they get rid of Satoshi? Answer please.

Why should they get rid of Satoshi? Answer please.

I ANSWER FOR HIM MULTIPLE TIMES. He isn't as interesting and there is lots of potential given the setting for a great character!

I ANSWER FOR HIM MULTIPLE TIMES. He isn't as interesting and there is lots of potential given the setting for a great character!

Sorry, that's not how it works. Like Adamant and Piplup said the producers aren't going to cater to anime nerds on the internet. Especially when the show is doing it's job perfectly and over exceling.

The Pokemon Anime seems to have already etched itself around his story. If Satoshi goes down, he might drag the Anime down with him.​

Their's really no reason whatsoever to replace Satoshi. The Risk, of course, is tremendously high. Sacrificing the millions of people loyal to the show (by deleting the character that is as important to them as it is to the anime) isn't worth pleasing a small ammount of new children that begin to watch the anime each week.

By the way, Gliscor'd, quit stalling. We all know you dont have an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom