• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

Some things to consider...

Closure doesn't have to be desired merely by people who've been watching Ash since 1997. Many people who start watching Ash in, say, BW! also want to see Ash become a master. Or perhaps want/not mind seeing some eventual closure for him.

Also, I don't see why they wouldn't give Ash at least decent closure whenever they'd do so- he's been around for more than a decade, so I don't think the writers would want to just write him off in some minor way.

The former director guy said what he said, but I'm sure the writers would replace Ash come a time that enough kids don't care about him and the writers worry that the newer kids will feel the same way. Or if the writers themselves feel tired of Ash and don't think there'd be a huge popularity loss from replacing him. Although, if they're considering replacing Ash with a guy with a somewhat different personality, they could've either given Ash that personality or a side character with Ash.

Another thing to think... what does Ash's voice actor think about Ash getting replaced? Would she or would she not mind if Ash was replaced? I doubt she'd voice the new guy, even with a different sounding voice.

And what would happen to those kids stuck in the middle between generation? They spend a few years getting to know Ash and Pikachu, and then boom they replace him.

They won't be scarred for life if that were to happen.

Again, this is all coming from someone who wishes Ash left after they stop making generations of Pokemon. I know why they keep him and all that. And I did read the replies made by my post asking about ratings (gotpika said something about it, and someone else responded to me and I read that).

Not saying don't reply to me though.

By the way, Gliscor'd, quit stalling. We all know you dont have an answer.

What exactly are you looking for? I said Ash can be removed because the series isn't about him, its about the Pokemon. Kids who stop watching are replacing by new kids.

Any fan over the age of 10 who stops watching Pokemon because precious Ash is not in it would not even register a "blip" on the shows ratings. Going even further than that, most fans of Kanto are now in their 20's, they're long moved on except for a handful.

What exactly are you looking for? I said Ash can be removed because the series isn't about him, its about the Pokemon. Kids who stop watching are replacing by new kids.

Any fan over the age of 10 who stops watching Pokemon because precious Ash is not in it would not even register a "blip" on the shows ratings. Going even further than that, most fans of Kanto are now in their 20's, they're long moved on except for a handful.

The Pokemon games aren't about Ash, but the various anime series definitely are about Ash. I'm pretty sure that each series has started with saying how this is Ash's journey, although I don't recall if they did that opening narration bit in AG. So, when the series follows around the same character for years on his journey, then I think it's about that particular character. I still don't think that ratings would drop significantly if they did replace Ash. It's possible, but I'm not sure if it would result in a huge lost in ratings. I think that there's a bigger risk marketing wise. Ash has been the main character for fourteen years and I'd imagine that they use Ash and Pikachu for promoting the anime, as well as creating merchandise based around both of them. I don't think that they'd want to take the risk because of how well known Ash is at this point and there's absolutely no financial motivation for the writers to take a risk like that at this point.

Why should he be replaced? What's the point? Things are going great so what's the point?

You keep telling us he can.

Not why he should.

For the same reasons they replaced any other main character. The show could have theoretically went on with the original trio forever. Instead, both Misty and Brock went bye-bye. Then the characters who came in after them also left. And Iris/Cilan will most likely leave when BW ends too.

What could have happened is AG could have been about Brendan and May, then DP could have been about Lucas and Dawn, etc.

But regardless, the series is about the monsters, not the humans. Ash can be dropped for the same reasons any other main character was.

For the same reasons they replaced any other main character. The show could have theoretically went on with the original trio forever. Instead, both Misty and Brock went bye-bye. Then the characters who came in after them also left. And Iris/Cilan will most likely leave when BW ends too.

What could have happened is AG could have been about Brendan and May, then DP could have been about Lucas and Dawn, etc.

But regardless, the series is about the monsters, not the humans. Ash can be dropped for the same reasons any other main character was.

Your not answering why he "should" be replaced. Why should they replace Satoshi, when everything all good?

Your still telling us he can. But why- when everything is going great- should the producers drop the lead character they had for generations? Just because they can?

Please tell us how dropping Satoshi will help the franchise. -_-

Your still telling us he can. But why- when everything is going great- should the producers drop the lead character they had for generations? Just because they can?

Please tell us how dropping Satoshi will help the franchise. -_-

Who said it has to help the franchise? They can drop him and use the male lead of Gen 6.

Why would they want to? Perhaps the writers will feel they're done with his character, the VA may want to retire, or they feel the next gen would benefit working with an all new character.

If the next games don't have Gyms for whatever reason, they may also go with a new character for that reason.

Who said it has to help the franchise? They can drop him and use the male lead of Gen 6.

Why would they want to? Perhaps the writers will feel they're done with his character, the VA may want to retire, or they feel the next gen would benefit working with an all new character.

If the next games don't have Gyms for whatever reason, they may also go with a new character for that reason.

Since that's all assuming things and not actual reasons to replace him. That whole point is cold. The writers aren't going to risk there money just for the hell of it.

The writers aren't going to risk there money just for the hell of it.

How does no Ash risk them money? That makes no sense since older fans don't make up much of the ratings to begin with.

How does no Ash risk them money? That makes no sense since older fans don't make up much of the ratings to begin with.

Did you not read my post? Satoshi has something called originality, he's well known among older fans and younger fans. Nintendo likes it when everyone buys there crap, they use Satoshi for a lot of the toys they make and marketing a lot of the other stuff like bikes, mcdonalds stuff, toys, and merchandise. Take one visit to the "Pokemon Center" stores and you'll see what exactly I mean. Those stores are flooded with people. Now why would the producers risk that? Satoshi is a marketing tool he does his job great why would they risk that? Why should Satoshi be replaced?

What in the world? You think they won't make new merchandize for a new character?

What in the world? You think they won't make new merchandize for a new character?
Thanks for proving me right. Why would they go through the trouble of making a new guy, who will do the exact same thing. Badges, Leagues, friends, Pikachu. When Satoshi already does all that and sells a huge amount of merchandise and advertisies the show greatly? And to boot that the show gets top 10 in ratings every week. This franchise is a gold mine, why should they risk that?

Why go through all the trouble of introducing a new girl to do Contests? Or new travel companions?

Why go through all the trouble of introducing a new girl to do Contests? Or new travel companions?

Because they wanted to introduce Contest to the Anime and market the new games simple as that. Nothing shocking. Now answer my question.

And why can't they make money with a new male protagonist?

And why can't they make money with a new male protagonist?
Because it would be harder to make a new male. Do you know all the work that has to be put into it? Including advertiseing. In the end it would be the same thing Pikachu, Badges, Friends, Adventure, and all the other stuff. So it the end what's the point? Why should Satoshi be replaced? Everything's going great with ratings in the top 10 and the sales are through the roof, so what's the point? Why should they replace Satoshi?

Because it would be harder to make a new male. Do you know all the work that has to be put into it?

LOL, so much work! It'd be similar "work" as into the promotion they did with Dawn back in DP.

Seems like they did this before. Who the hell do you think these people are? These are highly paid professionals, not 15 year old kids working for minimum wage.

LOL, so much work! It'd be similar "work" as into the promotion they did with Dawn back in DP.
This is a main character, not a side character. And like I said, "What's the point". Why should they replace Satoshi? They aren't going to do so just to please Anime fans. What reason should they?
Seems like they did this before. Who the hell do you think these people are? These are highly paid professionals, not 15 year old kids working for minimum wage.
But, Scott What's the point? What's the point? Why should the writers replace Satoshi? I can't think of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom