• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think ash will bring back his old Pokémon in the new series?

Should Ash bring his old Pokémon back for the new series?

• Total voters
The writers may be refusing to acknowledge any continuity outside of episode 1 in order to avoid alienating new viewers. (faulty logic but what can we do?)

I don't think that is the reason. The fact that they put Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard on the key visual kind of points to them not being afraid of acknowledging continuity. Plus, we have seen a couple of call backs already. For example, Pikachu utilization of electroweb was a call back to SM. I think they haven't gone heavy on continuity nodes because they haven't been relevant to the story they have been trying to tell for that particular episode.

Maybe not immediately. I'm guessing at the very earliest, at least 50 episodes in maybe we'll have some return. Give time for the formula to set in, explore all the new characters, introduce more Gen8 stuff, and get into the main storyline. And then maybe they'll let Ash bring back reserves. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like Gen 5 and the reserves (and a familiar character) came back some time in the last two or three arcs.

I only expect continuity with Alola because that was the most recent series and most of the staff are the same as SM. We already have a bit of continuity with Alola including Ash wearing the same t-shirt we saw him wear in SM as well as the Electroball strategy.

I am divided.
In a way, I hope they just want to set something and after that we are gonna have a lot of reserves returning.
However, I cannot shake the feeling this series will be made of viewbait titles that only irritates old fans.

Hope it still does. I love swellow

Actually, if he does evolve his Tailow, I could actually see Ash bringing back his Swellow to compare the two and to even have Ash's Swellow teach Go's Swellow some techniques and tricks it learned from Ash.

The only episode title that alludes to the past is the Ho-Oh one: "The Pledge That We Made That Day!" Even the Pichu one only alluded to the evolution; nothing more, nothing less.

Only if the Ho-Oh title ends up being a red herring (boy, that would be a record) will the "writers are trolls" claim be justified. For the average episode title, stop assuming that any Pokemon is unique and you'll be much better off. I think it's a shame that Movie 2 Lugia and Ash's Bulbasaur weren't referenced, but I didn't expect either one to happen. As for Scott, his inclusion would have added nothing - let's be honest. Dawn and Brock need a better reason to return than a water race; the worst thing to do is treat a character as secondary to their Pokemon.

Last edited:
Actually, if he does evolve his Tailow, I could actually see Ash bringing back his Swellow to compare the two and to even have Ash's Swellow teach Go's Swellow some techniques and tricks it learned from Ash.
Seeing as there was no Bulbasaur in Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden 2.0 or we didn’t get to see Charizard in XY or SM... the chances are next to zero.

That seems like a real reach, no offense. Go seems like a good enough trainer to train his theoretical Swellow on his own without him needing advice from Ash. Even if the writing staff wanted to do the whole 'Ash can give Go advice' angle, they could do so without bringing Ash's Swellow back and just have Ash give Go pointers like a normal person without humble-bragging about his Swellow's achievements specifically.

Last edited:
Though they could do an awesome story ark, like that the pink butterfree got lost or or trapped by a very big pokémon and Ash's searches for him to help him get her again. And then, they both choose to stay.

That’s assuming Go would even train his Tailow, which is a rather huge assumption to make.
He might catch a Swellow later in the same way he caught all the members of various lines in 6.

I do think it's unlikely Ash will bring his Swellow to meet Gou's theroetical one since the reserves still seem to be MIA.

Don't count on it. Some of use were banking on Pidgeot based on that one clip. Didn't happen and Ash used Mr.Mime instead.

I mean, I'd hate to say 'I told you so' but...

In the future I hope to God that the writers/animators/producers/whoever avoid showing any species that Ash has owned in the past in any upcoming episode previews or magazine scans because it never leads to anything good, just weeks of overblown predictions that end up being for nothing.

Most likely no if they're so deadset on this being an episodic series where people can jump in at anytime and not be confused as to what's going on.

So far the only Pokemon belonging to Ash that new viewers are familiar with are Pikachu and Mimey. At this point, if he catches anything else, I expect it just to be popular Pokemon from various regions that he missed out on the first time around so they can take advantage of their popularity.

Last edited:
Most likely no if they're so deadset on this being an episodic series where people can jump in at anytime and not be confused as to what's going on.

So far the only Pokemon belonging to Ash that new viewers are familiar with are Pikachu and Mimey. At this point, if he catches anything else, I expect it just to be popular Pokemon from various regions that he missed out on the first time around so they can take advantage of their popularity.
He could finish Gible line. Bringing an old one back, gaining a power house and finishing an arc

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom