• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think ash will bring back his old Pokémon in the new series?

Should Ash bring his old Pokémon back for the new series?

• Total voters

CometCartoons

Reaction score
Since ash will be traveling through multiple regions instead of just one this time, do you think he’ll bring back some of his old Pokémon? Personally, I hope he does. In the past, Ash left his Pokémon back at Professor Oak’s lab so he can catch new Pokémon and make it more of a challenge for ash in the gym battles and the Pokémon league. But now that ash is the alola’s region first champion, he needs to not connect with any new Pokémon he catches, but also old Pokémon he had. This is either because he either hasn’t brought out all of their potential or he hasn’t done enough because he was too focused on training certain Pokémon or caught them too close to the league. I really hope that they do that for ash’s least popular Pokémon too, like muk, Palpitoad, unfezant, Noivern, Melmetal, etc. They should been on the same level as ash’s regional aces.

1 - What's the purpose of revisiting older regions if the past isn't going to be revisited at all? He needs to rotate his Pokemon and they deserve proper screentime and devleopment, especially the underutilized ones like Gible, Quilava, Totodile .etc.
2 - There's no point in him catching any Pokemon that are not under the Gen 8 label due to redundancy. He may catch an older Pokemon with a Gen 8 evolution or form (like Aipom > Ambipom for Gen 4) but otherwise he should stick to newer mons only.

1 - What's the purpose of revisiting older regions if the past isn't going to be revisited at all? He needs to rotate his Pokemon and they deserve proper screentime and devleopment, especially the underutilized ones like Gible, Quilava, Totodile .etc.
2 - There's no point in him catching any Pokemon that are not under the Gen 8 label due to redundancy. He may catch an older Pokemon with a Gen 8 evolution or form (like Aipom > Ambipom for Gen 4) but otherwise he should stick to newer mons only.
Well he did that for gliscor not ambipom since he gave her to dawn before it evolved.

My mind says yes because it would be the most logical thing, but my gut says no because the writers don't always follow common sense. And to be completely honest I only like maybe 4 or 5 of Ash's reserve Pokemon, so it's not like I'm super eager to see them all again any ways.

I think we will see them only on special events, like in Johto or Hoenn. It would be confusing and overwhelming for non-hardcore fans to see Ash using a new Pokemon every episode, even if we fans would love to see something like that.

The Ivysaur episode will be the key to whether the future of the series will be just vague nostalgia or actual recognition of the past.

I think we will see them only on special events, like in Johto or Hoenn. It would be confusing and overwhelming for non-hardcore fans to see Ash using a new Pokemon every episode, even if we fans would love to see something like that.

The Ivysaur episode will be the key to whether the future of the series will be just vague nostalgia or actual recognition of the past.
Sure but this is ash’s next step to becoming Pokémon master. He won the alola league because he didn’t focus on an ace like his previous journeys so since he’s not staying in a single region this time he should use this opportunity to connect more with his old Pokémon not just new ones otherwise there would be no point in ash traveling around the world. That’s why I believe they have ash use his old Pokémon just not right off the bat.

I think this would be a great opportunity for Ash to mix and match his team using his reserves from across the different regions and a chance for some of his old Pokémon to shine so I’d love for him to.

I don't understand the whole 'Ash should let his old Pokemon shine' logic; they had their chance to be relevant in their respective sagas, so as far as I'm concerned none of Ash's reserve Pokemon are owed anything.

I don't understand the whole 'Ash should let his old Pokemon shine' logic; they had their chance to be relevant in their respective sagas, so as far as I'm concerned none of Ash's reserve Pokemon are owed anything.
Dude there are plenty of Pokémon that could have been developed better on ash’s team. Noivern, Palpitoad, Muk, Gible, etc. There are ton of Pokémon that were handled poorly. This is their chance to fix them.

I think we might be underestimating the intelligence of kids if we don't think they can wrap their heads around Ash having older Pokemon. Oak's lab is shown in every series and it's not giving anyone panic attacks. As far as I've seen, whenever older Pokemon and characters are brought back (BF, Sinnoh League, Brock/Misty in SM) it's pretty much universally loved. Worst case scenario, kids want to watch the older series to see where they came from.

I agree though, the first few episodes will surely give us a good idea on where they stand with that. Ash's Bulbasaur in ep03, his Snorlax in ep05 ect. Personally I'll be keeping an eye out for a brief Serena cameo in the summer camp flashback.

I hope not, since i fear we will only see the fan faves instead of the mons who deserve and need the screentime.
Yeah I don’t want that either. They should do it for ash’s least popular Pokémon to.

I hope so, I mean with a lab like this Ash could technically transfer everybody here for the time being so he could spend more time with them. That sounds like something he would do anyways, and whenever he leaves(Unless this carries to gen 9 like some theorize?) he sends everyone to Oak again as he returns home

I just hope they don't pull another SM, like we only see the Kanto squad or popular Pokemon. And not Pokemon like Kingler, Heracross, Donphan, Johto starters, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie, Noivern, Boldore, Palpitoad.... you get what I'm saying? I love seeing his old Pokemon, but I like it when everyone gets to appear like the classic OS-BW lab episodes that unfortunately don't happen anymore.

I'm not going to hold much hope though

I hope so, I mean with a lab like this Ash could technically transfer everybody here for the time being so he could spend more time with them. That sounds like something he would do anyways, and whenever he leaves(Unless this carries to gen 9 like some theorize?) he sends everyone to Oak again as he returns home

I just hope they don't pull another SM, like we only see the Kanto squad or popular Pokemon. And not Pokemon like Kingler, Heracross, Donphan, Johto starters, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie, Noivern, Boldore, Palpitoad.... you get what I'm saying? I love seeing his old Pokemon, but I like it when everyone gets to appear like the classic OS-BW lab episodes that unfortunately don't happen anymore.

I'm not going to hold much hope though
I know what you mean. They made meltan popular even though on paper it just looks like a blob of metal. So I hope they can better develop ash’s least popular Pokémon.

I voted no. Ash's pokemon already had their share of screentime, and it would be great if the anime took this opportunity to showcase underrepresented pokemon more. I understand there's pokemon that's more popular than others, but if this is going to be a grand tour, why not make this an opportunity to showcase how vast the dex is.

I really hope he will. Some of his Pokémon (like Quilava, Gible, half of his Unova team and even Noivern) either got very little focus or barley did anything relevant, so having them return, get used in battles, get some wins under their belts (and maybe even letting some of them evolve) would be a great way to properly develop/better develop them. Plus, it would be an excellent way to connect with the previous series in a stronger manner than the rest of the post-BW series (which would be great for me, since I do love a proper continuity and references to past episodes/series). And, with the new series being set in the Pokémon world as a whole and not just a single region, they don't have an excuses as for why he couldn't do that.

Also,
I understand there's pokemon that's more popular than others, but if this is going to be a grand tour, why not make this an opportunity to showcase how vast the dex is.

Isn't that something that Go could do? Since, not only is he the "second protagonist" of the series, but also the guy whose goal is to catch 'em all? Why not have him be the one "to showcase how vast the dex is", since it ties into his goals? You don't need Ash to do that.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom