• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think ash will bring back his old Pokémon in the new series?

Should Ash bring his old Pokémon back for the new series?

• Total voters
I really hope he will. Some of his Pokémon (like Quilava, Gible, half of his Unova team and even Noivern) either got very little focus or barley did anything relevant, so having them return, get used in battles, get some wins under their belts (and maybe even letting some of them evolve) would be a great way to properly develop/better develop them. Plus, it would be an excellent way to connect with the previous series in a stronger manner than the rest of the post-BW series (which would be great for me, since I do love a proper continuity and references to past episodes/series). And, with the new series being set in the Pokémon world as a whole and not just a single region, they don't have an excuses as for why he couldn't do that.

Also,

Isn't that something that Go could do? Since, not only is he the "second protagonist" of the series, but also the guy whose goal is to catch 'em all? Why not have him be the one "to showcase how vast the dex is", since it ties into his goals? You don't need Ash to do that.
Come on there’s no way he’s gonna get that many Pokémon.

So if Gou won't "get that many Pokemon", why does anyone think Ash should catch many of them? Ash had dropped the mentality of catching too many and started to focus on smaller teams as his journey progressed. If he catches too many, the captures suffer (Unova Mons are the perfect example of this).

Besides, instead of bringing in new Mons for Ash which would require creating new personalities and arcs for them, it would be far more beneficial (both for the writers, as well as viewers) if his older Mons get more screen time and development (@Pulsaro23's comment takes precedence from here on). The only new Mons Ash should catch are Gen 8 related, whether a new evolution, species or form.
No what I mean don’t think Go will catch so many Pokémon like he claims I feel like that will be a temporary thing like ash did. Plus if ash isn’t going to be traveling just the galar region then he should take the time to improve his worst old Pokémon.

most likely as Ash will visit all regions! And this is not a reboot and continuity. So all his past Pokemon, Alolan classmates and travel companions will re-appear again!

Honestly Ash would be the better one to 'show off' a Pokemon than Go, I suspect most of Go's Pokemon won't get proper characterization on account of his catching a lot. Just Scorbunny, a Galar Pokemon, maybe a Sinnoh one? And the rest are just captures

Just give Ash more than 5 Pokemon, make up for the past two regions. No having an empty space up until the league, only to bring back a Pokemon that went bye-bye. That's old and repetitive, it happened twice in a row! I don't think I could handle a third... and if Ash's homebase is a lab with a yard then it's not like it'd be another BW where we never see certain Pokemon. Use Ash to promote Galar's dex(And anything possible DP remakes/future games could add, like Meltan and Poipole), while Go catches Pokemon from all over

Isn't that something that Go could do? Since, not only is he the "second protagonist" of the series, but also the guy whose goal is to catch 'em all? Why not have him be the one "to showcase how vast the dex is", since it ties into his goals? You don't need Ash to do that.
Yes, Gou can showcase the vast dex, and we won't need to see (specifically) Ash's old pokemon if he does that. Rather, some friendly nods would be great because they won't have to bring in the flashbacks or enter a lengthy backstory of the pokemon.

I think that Ash will find out that all his old Pokémon at he had at Professor Kukui's home and at Professor Oak's Laboratory will be gone forever, because they all will have already opted to fade away from the sight, so that they all vacate to live into another Pokémon paradisiac dimension for their new home world, and they then no longer will make their comeback to him.

Last edited:
Dude there are plenty of Pokémon that could have been developed better on ash’s team. Noivern, Palpitoad, Muk, Gible, etc. There are ton of Pokémon that were handled poorly. This is their chance to fix them.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that several of Ash's Pokemon got f**ked over in the past. I'm just saying that this whole "they deserve redemption" excuse is nonsensical to me, because it implies that the writers should stop promoting the new Pokemon and have Ash focus on older species instead.

And before anyone says it, no, I don't think that Go basically being a second protagonist means that he can handle showcasing Generation 8 Pokemon on his own instead of Ash. Same with Koharu or whatever her name is. I can't imagine the writers dumping all the Galar promo on their backs while they have Ash do the whole nostalgia bit on his own. It just sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

I think that Ash will find out that all his old Pokémon at he had at Professor Kukui's home and at Professor Oak's Laboratory will be gone forever, because they all will have already opted to fade away from the sight, so that they all vacate to live into another Pokémon paradisiac dimension for their new home world, and they then no longer will make their comeback to him.

You literally say this every month despite there being absolutely nothing that supports the basis of this theory. We can be pretty sure that Ash has already visited Oak's lab by the first episode of the new series anyways and there's nothing in any of the preview footage or summary for that episode or beyond that implies that all his other Pokemon just faded away.

I just hope he helps Lillie and Gladion to find their father whenever he goes back to Alola, even if it ends up like the special event of USUM.

I hope that his old Pokémon will show up but I think they probably won't. They have already said that they don't want any countinuity in the series and are planning to make it even more episodic than it already is. I wouldn't be suprised if the anime becomes even more of a filler hell than Johto.

I think the big reason we might see reserves is the advertisement role of the show; with a significant number of Pokémon missing from the latest games having them show up in the show is a way to keep them in people's minds and show them off to younger audiences who might be getting sword/shield as their first Pokémon game.
For instance have Buizel show up, look cool in a battle, and hey, guess what folks? Buizel's in the new D/P remakes/Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield/Pokémon Spear coming out next year! Don't you want to catch one?

I'm not necessarily saying it will go that way. I think whether or not Ash's Bulbasaur appears in episode 3 will be telling.

They're being super tight-lipped about Ash's team which makes it hard to predict anything, I'm hoping the bit about him wanting to be the best battler comes into play soon and we'll find out what kind of battling he'll be doing. Since XY and SM didn't seem too enthusiastic about giving him a full team I'm wondering if they might give him one or two rotating slots.

They're being super tight-lipped about Ash's team which makes it hard to predict anything, I'm hoping the bit about him wanting to be the best battler comes into play soon and we'll find out what kind of battling he'll be doing. Since XY and SM didn't seem too enthusiastic about giving him a full team I'm wondering if they might give him one or two rotating slots.
I just want him have a full team this time be it new or old.

Even with all this world traveling, Galar Pokemon will still be the top priority. He can use old ones when it's appropriate (Bayleef, Heracross, etc. in Johto; Sceptile, Torkoal, etc in Hoeenn; and so forth), but promoting Sword & Shield should still be the main thing (even with all this mobile game nonsense).

Plus, I get the feeling they'll do what they did in SM and give the cast a small number of Pokemon again...
(though I kind of hope I'm wrong)

Current evidence that Ash will use reserves:
  • There are two reasons that Ash dumps and replaces his Pokemon between gens. One is to promote new Pokemon and the other is to nerf Ash so that the new league poses a challenge. This series is meant to highlight Pokemon from every generation so forcing Ash to only use Galar Pokemon wouldn't make sense. Also the writers don't want to nerf Ash this time around and making him train a brand new team from the ground up would accomplish just that. He would all of a sudden be forced to use weaker Pokemon and basically be downgraded in power just a dozen or so episodes into the series. We saw this in Jhoto when he gave up Charizard early on, so it's not completely out of the question. In any case, Ash using fully trained Pokemon in this series would fit with the new veteran status they're pushing on him.
  • Kanto trio, Greninja, Rowlet, and many other of his Pokemon being suspiciously prevalent on posters and merchandise. Many other Pokemon on these posters/merch have since become prominent in the series (Scyther/Piplup/Croagunk) so an appearance in some form or another seems inevitable.
  • This has been slightly disproven, but the writers may wish to refrain from showcasing wild species of Pokemon that Ash owns. As such, episode 3 focuses on Ivysaur instead of Bulbasaur because Ash doesn't have one, but to be fair there were some Bulbasaur in that episode too. That said, I expect them to want to showcase as many starter Pokemon as they can, and I really don't see episodes focusing on wild Turtwig, Chimchar, Froakie, Rowlet etc. Basically some species of Pokemon that Ash has owned might be too important to be featured in this series as randos.
  • It's unlikely there will be enough episodes taking place in Galar to build a full team anyway.
Evidence against:
  • Not one single reference to any of Ash's reserves (not counting Mr. Mime). They've had countless opportunities, most notably when Ash needed to bring a second mon for the tournament but chose Mimey, and the fact that none of them were shown at Oak's lab when Ash stopped by there. They really should have given us something by now.
  • The writers may be refusing to acknowledge any continuity outside of episode 1 in order to avoid alienating new viewers. (faulty logic but what can we do?)
Final thoughts: Ash finding the time to catch 4 Galar Pokemon and add them to his team with Pikachu and Mr. Mime seems very unlikely at this rate. That team also just sounds weird to me and Ash mostly using Galar mon would contradict the "all regions" premise of the show. On the other hand, the complete and clearly intentional avoidance of even the slightest reference to Ash's other reserves is practically confirmation that they won't appear. In summary, I have no clue what's going on.

Last edited:
I've only seen Rowlet alongside Litten rather than Incineroar, so I don't think that one means anything. And it is rather likely that all of the unevolved starters will be showcased eventually (they were the first Pokemon unveiled for this series and they're in the opening), and Ash only has six of those left.

I'm sticking to my prediction that he will be reunited with the Kanto starters judging from the key art of Pallet Town, but I don't know if he will use them permanently.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom