• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash will get a Galar starter in PM2019?

Will Ash get a Galar starter?

• Yes, he'll get Grookey.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Yes, he'll get Sobble.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Yes, he'll get both Grookey and Sobble.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No, Grookey and Sobble will go to someone else.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
There’s a difference since Incineroar was of the same evolutionary line as Litten. Two Incineroar brawling around was probably too similar for the animator’s so they left it for the end as a symbolic evolution.
They probably created their rivalry while thinking about that. If they wanted to showcase it more as Incineroar, they wouldn't create such a rivalry in the first place.

They probably created their rivalry while thinking about that. If they wanted to showcase it more as Incineroar, they wouldn't create such a rivalry in the first place.
Plus when you look at how the narrative played out, it was basically the story of the up and coming rookie who grows over time to eventually become the champion by defeating the previous champ after a series of trials. You don’t really get that kind of symbolic storytelling if they evolve it any sooner than it’s victory.

Plus when you look at how the narrative played out, it was basically the story of the up and coming rookie who grows over time to eventually become the champion by defeating the previous champ after a series of trials. You don’t really get that kind of symbolic storytelling if they evolve it any sooner than it’s victory.
There’s also the symbolism of Torracat gaining the champion belt as the acknowledgment of its victory.

I don't see why they'd give Go two starters before giving Ash even one... unless all of them are meant for Go. It will be a while before the next Galar visit, so why give Ash all these other Pokemon before an obvious choice that is supposedly more important? "They need to promote Grookey regardless" doesn't count as a reason because if Go can get two starters, he can get three. The seed has been planted.

It wouldn't be a shock for Goh to get all three starters, but I don't think it makes it that less likely for Ash to get Grookey, especially when they are handling his team differently in this series.

I voted he's getting Sarunori only since Animedia sorta spoiled that Messon goes to Gou, and I really don't see him catching all the three Galar starters.

I voted he's getting Sarunori only since Animedia sorta spoiled that Messon goes to Gou, and I really don't see him catching all the three Galar starters.
If they gave Go Sobble after barely doing anything with Raboot, it really doesn’t seem like they care about giving Ash any of the starters. Which is a shame since I would’ve loved to see the Galar starters getting to get some cool action with the PWC. Of course for me, given that the Scorbunny and Sobble are my top 2 of the starters this gen, even if they did give Ash Grookey, it’d feel like nothing but a consolation prize at this point.

Honestly, even if I didn't like Grookey as much as I do, I'm pretty sure I'd still think that it fits with Ash the most out the Galar starters. Sobble would have worked for him too, but since Ash does usually tend to get the Grass starter, I think that would have given Grookey a bit of an edge even if they were both still up in the air in terms of who could catch them.

It would actually be better if Gou got Grookey, because it would open the door for Ash to catch more unconvential Pokemon.
That depends on the person's bias and liking/disliking of Grookey line, what an conventional Pokémon is and how they actually handle Grookey. It’s too early to say anything yet since we don’t even know when the thing is making its debut.

That depends on the person's bias and liking/disliking of Grookey line, what an conventional Pokémon is and how they actually handle Grookey. It’s too early to say anything yet since we don’t even know when the thing is making its debut.
I see "conventional Pokemon" as Pokemon archetypes that usually go to Ash, such as the starters or the common early route bird.

I see "conventional Pokemon" as Pokemon archetypes that usually go to Ash, such as the starters or the common early route bird.
All of them have been broken right now so the comment really isn’t meaningful. Ash already has all the old starters that fit him and all the regional birds till Alola. Corviknight isn’t on the merch so Ash is unlikely to get it right now.

All archetypes have been broken.

All of them have been broken right now so the comment really isn’t meaningful. Ash already has all the old starters that fit him and all the regional birds till Alola. Corviknight isn’t on the merch so Ash is unlikely to get it right now.

All archetypes have been broken.
He can catch Corviknight later on. Ash has caught the early route bird in every gen except Gen 7, where Rowlet arguably served as a substitute. Although, out of all the starters he failed to get in the past Popplio is the only one I can't see Ash getting in this saga.

It would actually be better if Gou got Grookey, because it would open the door for Ash to catch more unconvential Pokemon.

Considering that it's pretty likely that he'll be catching more than the usual five or six Pokemon in this series and that could mean that he'll be rotating his Pokemon again, I don't think that having Grookey would prevent Ash from catching more unconvential Pokemon.

he will get sobble via switch with Go for Dragonite... I have a feeling Ash should get all starters this time before the full journey to Galar.

Last edited:
I don't think Ash gets Grookey. Having a current generation starter on his team, limits the amount of slots he can rotate with if he gets more than 5 Pokemon. We basically don't see Dragonite and Gengar all that often already, because Riolu is a thing and the Riolu line is more than likely gonna be a fixed member on the team, rather than a rotational one. Grookey would be the same, meaning Ash only has three slots to rotate Pokemon in and out and i think older generation Pokemon will be rotated more than current generation Pokemon (Like Galarian Farfetch'd), which will limit the amount of rotation slots even more. I think Galar will be the first region Ash doesn't get any starter.

I don't think Ash gets Grookey. Having a current generation starter on his team, limits the amount of slots he can rotate with if he gets more than 5 Pokemon. We basically don't see Dragonite and Gengar all that often already, because Riolu is a thing and the Riolu line is more than likely gonna be a fixed member on the team, rather than a rotational one. Grookey would be the same, meaning Ash only has three slots to rotate Pokemon in and out and i think older generation Pokemon will be rotated more than current generation Pokemon (Like Galarian Farfetch'd), which will limit the amount of rotation slots even more. I think Galar will be the first region Ash doesn't get any starter.
Just my 2 cents considering I have no horse in this race anymore but, giving Ash a Galar starter doesn’t actually limit him at all this series simply by the way that they’ve been doing Pokémon rotation. Unlike in BW when Ash was traveling, due to the existence of Sakuragi Park, Ash is able to rotate his Pokémon much more easily with it even being possible that he isn’t carrying all 6 Pokémon on him at any given time, instead only bringing who he feels is absolutely necessary for his current trip. So at that point, the only slots that are constantly occupied is Pikachu and maybe Riolu.

I think the current team will get a change... riolu to pokemon center for later, gengar or dragonite will get switched with other trainers maybe... Ash got Gengar only because gen 1 Haunter was realesed and he didnt get a dratiny back then, they wanted to show how it would be if Ash had them back then. The actual Galar journey that will come will be like Johto with new characters when Go leaves Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom