• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash will get a Galar starter in PM2019?

Will Ash get a Galar starter?

• Yes, he'll get Grookey.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Yes, he'll get Sobble.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Yes, he'll get both Grookey and Sobble.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No, Grookey and Sobble will go to someone else.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
There's growing stronger and there's going toe to toe with / defeating much more experienced E4/Champion level Pokémon with brute force.
Literally the only ones who did that were Charizard, Pikachu and Greninja and that comes from Charizard training in the Charicific Valley, Pikachu being with Ash from the start and Greninja being given its own original super form. Kukui meanwhile was strong, being the strongest in Alola, but he’s not exactly E4/Champion tier.

I want Ash to get Sobble but now that he's getting Riolu I have major doubts that he'll get Sobble since then he'd have two blue Pokemon at the same time on his team.

I want Ash to get Sobble but now that he's getting Riolu I have major doubts that he'll get Sobble since then he'd have two blue Pokemon at the same time on his team.
I don't think that's a factor; Hawlucha and Talonflame were both red feathered birds with white/grey bellies in XY, for instance.

I don't think that's a factor; Hawlucha and Talonflame were both red feathered birds with white/grey bellies in XY, for instance.
Adding onto this, OG Ash had a Squirtle and a Lapras, both blue and share the water typing. So yeah, I don't think color is a factor.

My prediction is Grookey for Ash and Sobble for Koharu. Grookey is an easygoing Pokemon with cool powers that could make decent battles, and when it fully evolves it could become "the brute" of Ash's team for this series. Sobble with Ash would be hard to handle, as Inteleon is an special attacker like the rest of his team and they would have to devote a lot of time to its personality changes throughout its evolutions, whereas with Koharu it would remain as a secondary mascot and would get a simpler development of not crying all the time.

As much as I prefer Grookey, I can’t really see Ash obtaining one. It just doesn’t seem to fit in (but then again, neither did Turtwig, Roggenrola or Hawlucha), and Sobble seems a little more likely to be a Gligar/Goomy of sorts: the tiny wimp that becomes a badass.

But I don’t want him to get one unless the writers have a long term plan for it. If it’s going to sit around doing nothing like Shaymin, Sandy and Meltan did, or become background padding like most of Go’s collection, I’d rather they went to CotDs and got one or two decent episodes on their own.

In Litten's case, it was already pretty much established that the thing wanted to grow stronger, and had specifically set sights on a champion level Pokémon as a rival [...] Chimchar and Froakie were not your standard starter Pokemon in the way that they were equipped with a something special factor, Chimchar's Blaze, and Froakie's Battle Bond.
Litten's main rival was Kukui's Incineroar, so it had to eventually defeat it [...] Both Chimchar and Froakie were extra special and Ash was able to bring out more of their strength
These are one of the main reasons I don't want Ash to catch starters anymore - I'm afraid they will get special treatment like powerful form or rivalry with strong Pokémon. I don't like when the show downplays experience in favour of special power and Pokémon than spend years training with supposedly strong trainers get outperformed by Pokémon that recently began their journey.
I think it'd be easier to accept it if they only performed good because of Ash's out-of-the-box tactics, not their own strength.

I have to say, I really want Ash to get Sobble. I fear if Gou or Koharu gets one, it won't get a lot of screen time. Gou would probably leave it at the lab and Koharu isn't traveling with the boys (she might at some point, but we don't know yet). So I feel like Sobble wouldn't get much screen time being with those two.

I want the best for my precious little water baby and I think it being with someone like Ash would be best for it, plus I think it would get a lot more screen time being with Ash.

These are one of the main reasons I don't want Ash to catch starters anymore - I'm afraid they will get special treatment like powerful form or rivalry with strong Pokémon. I don't like when the show downplays experience in favour of special power and Pokémon than spend years training with supposedly strong trainers get outperformed by Pokémon that recently began their journey.
I think it'd be easier to accept it if they only performed good because of Ash's out-of-the-box tactics, not their own strength.

I don't think that the show downplays experience. Ash defeats more experienced trainers all the time simply because most of the Gym Leaders are older than he is and it often does come down to his bond with his Pokemon or his unexpected tactics allowing Ash to win. Having more experience doesn't mean that a trainer is unbeatable. It's also kind of hard to see fully evolved Pokemon like Infernape or Greninja as Pokemon that just recently begun their journey, especially when time in general within the anime is weird. Even by their respective Leagues, Infernape and Greninja went through multiple Gym battles to develop their strength, so they were far from inexperienced just because they hadn't been through multiple reasons or Ash didn't age while training them.

I can kind of understand the issue of a starter getting a more powerful form, but getting a rival isn't really a problem. Infernape kind of had a rivalry with Paul's Electrive and it still struggled to defeat it. Same with Ash's Torracat. It lasted long enough just to avoid making its last battle with Professor Kukui's Incineroar not be a draw. Even with Infernape and Greninja's special powers, it took time for them to control all of that power and it came down to Ash being able to deepen his connection with both of them that allowed for them to take full control of their powers.

Except, as SM showed, such a thing isn’t even unique just to the starters as Lycanroc was given just as much attention as starters in past regions, even being given a unique form that had never been seen before in the form of dusk form and a rivalry with Gladion’s Lycanroc. The prospect of one of Ash’s Pokémon getting pushed is something that’s gonna happen regardless of if it’s a starter or not but the fact that Ash is the face of the anime, it’s more marketable to give him a starter since he allows them to shine much brighter compared to other cast members sans May and Dawn. One could say that Muskie and Chespin were completely wasted by being given to Brock and Clement due to neither getting to do anything that stood out from any other Pokémon.

I don't think that the show downplays experience. Ash defeats more experienced trainers all the time simply because most of the Gym Leaders are older than he is and it often does come down to his bond with his Pokemon or his unexpected tactics allowing Ash to win. Having more experience doesn't mean that a trainer is unbeatable. It's also kind of hard to see fully evolved Pokemon like Infernape or Greninja as Pokemon that just recently begun their journey, especially when time in general within the anime is weird. Even by their respective Leagues, Infernape and Greninja went through multiple Gym battles to develop their strength, so they were far from inexperienced just because they hadn't been through multiple reasons or Ash didn't age while training them.
I tend to assume that it's also partly that Ash is incredibly dedicated to training. Up until Sun and Moon he didn't take a single break from traveling, battling, and training. He learns about a new challenge and hurls himself right at it. I can buy the idea he's actually got more experience than even much older trainers who are more casual about it.

Except, as SM showed, such a thing isn’t even unique just to the starters as Lycanroc was given just as much attention as starters in past regions, even being given a unique form that had never been seen before in the form of dusk form and a rivalry with Gladion’s Lycanroc. The prospect of one of Ash’s Pokémon getting pushed is something that’s gonna happen regardless of if it’s a starter or not but the fact that Ash is the face of the anime, it’s more marketable to give him a starter since he allows them to shine much brighter compared to other cast members sans May and Dawn. One could say that Muskie and Chespin were completely wasted by being given to Brock and Clement due to neither getting to do anything that stood out from any other Pokémon.
I think there's decent odds Lucario gets the heavy push in this series. It's a Pokémon that gets shown off a lot and coming in as newly hatched makes it the obvious choice of his current party for an arc about growing stronger.

I don't think color is a factor, since it has happened in the past.

Sinnoh: Kanto: Squirtle and Lapras
Johto: Bulbasaur and Chikorita, Totodile and Heracross
Hoenn: Didn't share a color pattern
Sinnoh: Gliscor and Gible (Granted, they weren't on the team at the same time, but he still got them)
Unova: Oshawott and Palpitoad, Snivy and Leavanny - post league Pignite and Charizard

So yeah, its not a factor. Especially if you take in mind that while the Pokemon i have listed share colors, some of them are darker toned (Heracross is darker blue than Totodile is for example). Considering Sobble's color pattern is Light blue, as opposed to the Darker blue for Riolu, i don't see the issue here.

I think after journeys they will make it strict a Pokemon Sword and shield anime taking aniation style and new journey begins there.

Sobble would be great with a lot of potential with U-turn that new scale shot move and other options Grookey could be Ash power house with evolution and the grassy surge and grassy glide move

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom