• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think gen VI will finally end the curse of the plushie?

Master Cyrus

Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score
You know where they shoehorn cute pokemon that refuse to evolve into every situation possible and battle more than anyone else. Did I forget the part where they need infinite amounrs of exp to level up compared to a normal pokemon.

Piplup Bulbasaur and Pikachu dont coint because we saw the first 2 try to evolve onscreen and Pikachu is the mascot so one free pass.

It all depend on the writer & other anime stuff of Pokemon !
Are they try to create the best Pokemon series they can Or Are they just going to advertise and sell Plushie !!!
Its for them to decide .

I seriously doubt it. Pokemon that were treated like this is other generations, such as with Piplup, were really popular, so I don't see them changing that policy for a new generation, especially when promoting the merchandise through their characters is the main purpose of the series to begin with.

Unless Japan suddenly starts to hate cute things as a whole, it's doubtful they'll ever get rid of cute Pokémon from the spotlight.

The next girl is almost bound to get another cute pokemon that tags along out of its Pokeball.

It really makes you realize what a miracle it was that the writers had May's Torchic evolve rather than staying like that for all of AG.

This is not a question that we can answer atm. All we know of Gen VI are the three starter pokemon and the two legendary mascots. Anything else, including any possible female leads that may replace Iris, as well as the types of pokemon that she will get if this were the case, is speculation for now.

More likely than not, there will be at least one pokemon other than Ash's Pikachu that will not evolve in a Gen 6 anime.

The next girl is almost bound to get another cute pokemon that tags along out of its Pokeball.

It really makes you realize what a miracle it was that the writers had May's Torchic evolve rather than staying like that for all of AG.

Because it was weak and wimpy.

Arguably this already happened back in AG, where very few Pokemon remained in their base forms (and from those that did, only Skitty was particularly marketable). The lucrative merchandising success that was Dawn's Piplup definitely influenced the way starters were presented in BW though. Whether that will continue into the new Generation, I can't say.

Arguably this already happened back in AG, where very few Pokemon remained in their base forms (and from those that did, only Skitty was particularly marketable). The lucrative merchandising success that was Dawn's Piplup definitely influenced the way starters were presented in BW though. Whether that will continue into the new Generation, I can't say.

Did it really though? Other than Buneary, pretty much Dawn's all other pokemon evolved that could of. Granted I guess this is why Brock's Happiny didn't evolve till the very end though.

Piplup is without question, the second most marketed Pokemon after Pikachu. It's not just a matter of the number of unevolved Pokemon, but how heavily marketed they are. DP was where the whoring out of secondary mascot Pokemon really took off, and BW followed suit.

I just hope the new series tones it down a bit.

So far I've seen, no. Best Wishes! is a monster in making Ash's Unova starters (especially Oshawott) "marketable enough".

And it's a matter of time when Chespin is going to be forced in our throads like Piplup/Oshawott.

I don't think so. Cutesy sells. And as a company, their aim is to sell.

And they have an excuse for keeping the pokémon all chibi and plushie-ish and unevolved. The "win with you and your pokémon's bond and not just strength" thing.

Most likely not, considering the franchise seems to dislike "badass" and "ugly" Pokemon, in Best Wishes, the Unova Starters, especially Oshawott, have been shown 10x more than any other Gen 5 Pokemon (even their evolutions, as well as the legendaries), and were basically shoved down our throats as much as possible. Did Nintendo, at some point, forget that there are OTHER Pokemon in the generation than just the starters alone? Yeah, it seems like they forgot now, with everyone else being pushed to the side just to make more room for Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott (and sometimes Axew) alone.

The main reason for this is because "cute" sells more than "badass" or anything else. There are plenty of other "cute" Pokemon in Gen 6, such as Cottonee, Zorua, Minccino, and Mienfoo, they just seem to think that only the starters are cuter than everything else. Yeah, we get it Nintendo, Oshawott is cute, but so is Mienfoo.

Pikachu is reasonable though since he's the franchise mascot, but every other "plushie" can be toned down just a bit or more to at least make room for the rest of the Gen 5 Pokemon, considering we're in the last 9 months of the generation with X/Y being recently announced. This is something I hope they do in Gen 6 is tone down the prescense of the "plushies" and make at least SOME room for the other Gen 6 Pokemon (even the cute ones that aren't the starter trio).

Either way, in Gen 6, expect a lot of Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie more than any other Gen 6 Pokemon, I can guarantee that.

I doubt it. There will always be at least one 'cute' Pokemon in order to sell things. Only problem I have is that what the writers consider cute and what most people actually consider cute are apparently two very different things...

Either way, in Gen 6, expect a lot of Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie more than any other Gen 6 Pokemon, I can guarantee that.

Now I think that this is the next "cute" pokemon that may be fall into the piplup/pikachu/oshawott thing of promoting.

They probably won't, and you know what? I'm totally fine with it. Evolution has never meant anything much, and doesn't need to mean anything much, to how strong a Pokemon is, and pure strength has never been the most important thing in this show anyway. If staying unevolved suits a Pokemon's character more than evolving does, then so be it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom