• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I haven't been following this anime super closely as of late, but it seems like every time I view a topic for the latest episodes, people continue to mention how annoying Goh's Grookey is. People keep bringing up how it keeps causing trouble and it (and Goh for that matter) doesn't face any punishment or repercussions. Not to mention, from what I understand, Grookey still hasn't used an actual battle move.

The impression I'm getting is that this Grookey is the worst part of these episodes and it got me thinking: is Goh's Grookey the worst starter Pokemon owned by a main character? I'm not talking about random CotD's, let's exclude those. I'm talking about characters like Ash, Goh, and Clemont. I guess you can say characters from the main cast. I've included a poll because I'm curious to see what the general consensus is for Goh's Grookey on this site. I'm also allowing users to change their vote if what someone says persuades you to do so.

There were other annoying critters, but at least they were involved in battles or served some kind of function. Piplup's role was eventually settled on as a "Pokémon Contest" entrant, which ironically, in a way, sort of justified its behavior given the stereotype of "beauty contest entrant". And Chespin and Oshawott at least battled, even though Oshawott was largely a coward and preferred fighting below its weight class.

Grookey... doesn't contribute, and yet is often the source of conflict in many episodes. So it is "the load" of the group. It's quite baffling how a creature that does so little for his entourage yet causes so much misery is kept around and treated endearingly. However, this ultimately is an indictment of Goh as a trainer, sadly.

Lemme just repeat what I said in the worst gagmon thread:

"...Honestly can't believe im asking for this but if they could just rush through Grookey's evolutions and have him banished to off screen land that'd be awesome actually

I am seriously getting tired of everyone EXCEPT Grookey being blamed for GROOKEY'S antics

Say what you will about Oshawott, but at least he got karma for his shit

Grookey never learns from his antics because he's a Karma Houdini

I thought Sobble could be annoying at times but at least he was well behaved, and didn't cause problems for everyone else (at least not intentionally).
Yeah his crying gag was bad but at least he started getting better about that and it went away after awhile

Grookey on the other hand, it's gags are getting progressively worse as the show goes on"

Remember when people called Goh a Psychopath?
I never took that seriously

GROOKEY on the other hand? I'm legitimately starting to wonder if this monkey really is one.

And to answer your question. No it STILL hasn't used a move

Piplup, Chespin, and Oshawott could be just as obnoxious, sometimes, but at least they did stuff, right? Actually I don't remember Chespin too well but Piplup and Oshawott were ginormous brats.
Chespin and Oshawott's personalities were so similar they might as well have been twins, so much so sometimes I like to refer to Chespin as "Chesawott." So in theory, Chespin too was kind of a brat. More of a glutton than a brat, but still.

Chespin wasn't even that bad. I loved Clemont's Chespin. He still had the gluttony Oshawott did, but he didn't constantly cause problems for everyone...like Grookey. He also did have some nice battle moments. Also, I think Chespin at least had a nice dynamic with Pancham going, which I found adorable.

Grookey though....Grookey is an absolute nuisance. First off, yeah, I'm still irritated they didn't give Grookey to Ash. It would have been better for Grookey if they did. The problem with Grookey is he's an absolute out of control karma whodini. He's cause numerous problems, like the Spiritomb and Falinks incidents. All Grookey does is run around hitting things with a stick. There are never any consequences for Grookey and Goh even seems to act like he's this perfect child that can do no wrong. He even blamed Ash once for something Grookey caused. Grookey is one of the worst Pokemon I've ever seen owned by a main character. Grookey hasn't even used a single move yet. How is it that you take about 50 to debut a new generation's starter, then never have it use a move? So yeah, Grookey is probably one of the worst starters ever in the anime. Its a shame the Grookey line has been used so poorly.

This is not okay at all. Grookey is basically abusing an innocent pokemon and it's treated like a joke that we're supposed to find funny. Grookey doesn't receive comeuppance and it's not abusing a character who in a cartoonish sense "deserved" it. What the heck did this pokemon DO to Grookey that it looks so damn gleeful as it pounds on its head with a stick? Like, holy crap, that scene literally made Grookey look sadistic for a moment.

And, bear with me please, but...why is any of this necessary? At this point, Grookey is just being used as a plot device to kick-start the plot when the writers can't think of anything. It makes plots come off as horribly contrived when Grookey is the one to start it off...ugh, now I'm beginning to think I should take another break from this show...

This is not okay at all. Grookey is basically abusing an innocent pokemon and it's treated like a joke that we're supposed to find funny. Grookey doesn't receive comeuppance and it's not abusing a character who in a cartoonish sense "deserved" it. What the heck did this pokemon DO to Grookey that it looks so damn gleeful as it pounds on its head with a stick? Like, holy crap, that scene literally made Grookey look sadistic for a moment.

And, bear with me please, but...why is any of this necessary? At this point, Grookey is just being used as a plot device to kick-start the plot when the writers can't think of anything. It makes plots come off as horribly contrived when Grookey is the one to start it off...ugh, now I'm beginning to think I should take another break from this show...
That little sh*t is one day going to piss off the wrong Pokémon and there'll be a funeral when it does.

I dont say this in a mean way or anything but I'd like to see the rascal troll some Ursaring. I think this would be pretty funny to watch if a bit nerve-wracking considering how mean the bears can be.

That little sh*t is one day going to piss off the wrong Pokémon and there'll be a funeral when it does.

I dont say this in a mean way or anything but I'd like to see the rascal troll some Ursaring. I think this would be pretty funny to watch if a bit nerve-wracking considering how mean the bears can be.
You are so right. And let's make it one better. Let's have it try to mess with a Tyranitar or some other powerful Pokémon that is known for having a temper, that is also trained by a strong Trainer, possibly even a player character from one of the other generations (my personal choices would be for the Trainer to be either Leaf or Hilda). I want to see what happens to it when it angers one of those Pokémon. I'd love to see said Pokémon clobber Grookey and their Trainer just watch and not really give a reaction and if/when Goh and/or Ash try to tell them to rein in their Pokémon, they reply that it was Grookey that started it and that that they have to control the little brat because next time, they'll let said Pokémon eat it. And I'd immediately have them go over, pick up Grookey and put it in front of their annoyed Pokémon and tell them, "see this little brat? If he bothers you again, you get to eat/kill him." And the Pokémon then grins as it focuses on Grookey, daring it to do anything further to annoy them as said Trainer unceremoniously drops. That would be a dream come true.

Yes. All the thing does is hit innocent pokemon and cause trouble without getting in trouble. There seriously needs to be an episode where someone calls Goh out for Grookey's misbehavior and he has to make the choice to step up to be a better trainer or be forced to release it for causing too much trouble.

Yes. All the thing does is hit innocent pokemon and cause trouble without getting in trouble. There seriously needs to be an episode where someone calls Goh out for Grookey's misbehavior and he has to make the choice to step up to be a better trainer or be forced to release it for causing too much trouble.

Koharu did call Goh out on Grookey's behavior in JN069, remember? Except Goh then became defensive and blamed her Eevee instead, which was definitely a sign of things to come.

Grookey literally contributes nothing to the show. It's not funny, it's not cute, it has no dynamic with other Pokemon except maybe Chloe's Eevee, it doesn't use moves.
How can the writers even physically be so tactless regardless Grookey? What is even going on behind the scenes, in the writing room? What's going on in their heads?

Grookey used to be my favorite Galar starter... Then it appeared in the anime, and now I don't have a favorite Galar starter. I don't even mind Goh getting it, it's the execution that sucks.

Lemme just repeat what I said in the worst gagmon thread:

"...Honestly can't believe im asking for this but if they could just rush through Grookey's evolutions and have him banished to off screen land that'd be awesome actually

I am seriously getting tired of everyone EXCEPT Grookey being blamed for GROOKEY'S antics

Say what you will about Oshawott, but at least he got karma for his shit

Grookey never learns from his antics because he's a Karma Houdini

I thought Sobble could be annoying at times but at least he was well behaved, and didn't cause problems for everyone else (at least not intentionally).
Yeah his crying gag was bad but at least he started getting better about that and it went away after awhile

Grookey on the other hand, it's gags are getting progressively worse as the show goes on"

Remember when people called Goh a Psychopath?
I never took that seriously

GROOKEY on the other hand? I'm legitimately starting to wonder if this monkey really is one.

And to answer your question. No it STILL hasn't used a move
I’m at a lose-lose on that one. It evolving would basically be another annoying thing since it would be the writers giving Go yet another ‘first in anime history’ where not only would it be the first time we had all 3 fully evolved starters in the main cast but under a single owner as well. The sheer amount of writers pet is bad enough without that. On the other hand if it doesn’t, the writers are gonna shove that annoying gag down our throats until the end of Journeys because God forbid Go actually have to act like a trainer for once and get his Pokémon under control. It’s like asking if the audience wants the red paper or the blue paper with no ability to choose neither.

I’m at a lose-lose on that one. It evolving would basically be another annoying thing since it would be the writers giving Go yet another ‘first in anime history’ where not only would it be the first time we had all 3 fully evolved starters in the main cast but under a single owner as well. The sheer amount of writers pet is bad enough without that. On the other hand if it doesn’t, the writers are gonna shove that annoying gag down our throats until the end of Journeys because God forbid Go actually have to act like a trainer for once and get his Pokémon under control. It’s like asking if the audience wants the red paper or the blue paper with no ability to choose neither.
Grookey(and Goh) have done absolutely nothing to even deserve an evolution. Grookey's out of control behavior has never been addressed and Goh has done nothing about it. Grookey has yet to even use a single move. An evolution will feel very forced and unearned. And I thought Sobble's were bad. Grookey's would feel like a slap to the face. And yeah, Goh doesn't deserve to be the first protagonist to have all 3 fully evolved starters.

Koharu did call Goh out on Grookey's behavior in JN069, remember? Except Goh then became defensive and blamed her Eevee instead, which was definitely a sign of things to come.
Further demonstrating his immaturity and inexperience.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom