• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

Mochii ✎꒦꒷✩‧₊˚

Alola, Primarina! (✿ノ◡ヮ◡)ノ*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
rowlet was the worst. who wants a pokemon that does nothing but sleep
Didn't expect people to hate on Rowlet here, but must agree that he is useless sometimes :confused: . Man, this is the first time I criticize my fav. Pokemon.

Btw this thread is talking abt Grookey right? So guess I'll give my opinions:
I think Grookey aren't a bad Pokemon, but its representation in JN makes it the most-hated starter in the anime.
I agree that it is so useless and its the worst troublemaker (worse than TR lmaoo). I didn't even use a single move (other than the move y'all mentioned above), didn't do anything helpful and it caused so many troubles that it turns many episodes into fillers.
If I'm in the JN production crew, I'd like to tell the writer to give Grookey to someone else (like Ash, or Chloe, or anyone that is suitable) or let Goh release Grookey. Or just make an episode that Goh criticizing Grookey for its misbehavior and battle with it.
In all the series I've ever watched before, JN literally makes me disappointed and quit to continue it...

Last edited:

CharizardFan7

Though I'm also a Blaziken fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Didn't expect people to hate on Rowlet here, but must agree that he is useless sometimes :confused: . Man, this is the first time I criticize my fav. Pokemon.

Btw this thread is talking abt Grookey right? So guess I'll give my opinions:
I think Grookey aren't a bad Pokemon, but its representation in JN makes it the most-hated starter in the anime.
I agree that it is so useless and its the worst troublemaker (worse than TR lmaoo). I didn't even use a single move (other than the move y'all mentioned above), didn't do anything helpful and it caused so many troubles that it turns many episodes into fillers.
If I'm in the JN production crew, I'd like to tell the writer to give Grookey to someone else (like Ash, or Chloe, or anyone that is suitable) or let Goh release Grookey. Or just make an episode that Goh criticizing Grookey for its misbehavior and battle with it.
In all the series I've ever watched before, JN literally makes me disappointed and quit to continue it...
Hey, I like Rowlet as much as the next guy, in fact it's one of my favorite Pokemon, (I happen to love birds, owls in particular,) and my second-favorite Grass type Starter after Treecko. It's just.....Ash's Rowlet was.......not great. The sleeping gag was done to death, and the Everstone thing was garbage.

As for Grookey, I think I just......don't care anymore. It's development has been so bad it's laughable, and showcases Goh's inexperience as a trainer quite well. (And how bad the writers of this series can be sometimes, LOL.) I think at this point, I just try to pretend Grookey doesn't exist and leave it at that. We'll see what this upcoming Thwackey encounter episode does for it, but at this point it's probably too little, too late.

SlyGecko

Lover of lizard Pokemon
Reaction score

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
YIKES! You know Grookey's definitely the worst when people have started a #NOMOREGROOKEY Hashtag

https://twitter.com/rajawtheflatass/status/1505953721347366915?t=_HhPk8jFKBZw9CgemGLl6A&s=19

I also realized, that there's literally no reason given for WHY Grookey has to stay on Goh's shoulders all the time.

Scorbunny and Sobble actually had justified reasons to stay with Goh at all times

With Scorbunny that was Goh's 1st partner so it makes sense

With Sobble it also made sense because it was prone to crying and making all the other Pokemon in the Lab also cry. (Plus Scyther would've killed it if it had stayed behind)

With Grookey, it's always with Goh for no other reason other than the fact that it's a Starter of the (at the time) current region

Last edited:

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
With Grookey, it's always with Goh for no other reason other than the fact that it's a Starter of the (at the time) current region
Consider: it's also cuz they sure as hell want the ''cutie pie who can conviniently make problems appear as the narrative asks" front and center 24/7.

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Consider: it's also cuz they sure as hell want the ''cutie pie who can conviniently make problems appear as the narrative asks" front and center 24/7.
If nothing else, Grookey really taught me something..

The amount of Screentime a Pokemon gets is not an equivalent to actual character development.

Case in point. Look at the amount of screentime Grookey gets. Does it have development tho?

It's still the same Grookey we met back in JN59. Nothing substantial has happened to it since.

Compared that with Cinderace who has definitely goe through a lot despite it's lack of screentime. The Cinderace in JN103 isn't the same character we met in JN04

Gligarman

Unova! Represent!!
Reaction score
Leave my boy Grookey alone!!! He ain't hurting nobody!
[Some-Stuffs]_Pocket_Monsters_(2019)_101_(1080p)_[7FD758B4].mkv_snapshot_12.35_[2022.03.12_00....jpg

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
So, Grookey is still useless. After how many episodes, it's only done one move, once.

I know there have been starters that never evolved or amounted to much, but Grookey just takes the cake in terms of uselessness.
And that one time Grookey used a move wasn't even in battle.

Kurolegacy

Reaction score
So, Grookey is still useless. After how many episodes, it's only done one move, once.

I know there have been starters that never evolved or amounted to much, but Grookey just takes the cake in terms of uselessness.
It still amazes me how they gave it an episode with Eevee to teach it to be responsible only for none of that to actually stick. What was even the point?

CharizardFan7

Though I'm also a Blaziken fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him

It might even be the most useless Pokemon in the anime ever. And here I thought Togepi was useless back in the day. At least Togepi did stuff sometimes. Hell, Grookey might even be more useless than Lana's Eevee Sandy. That's.......yikes.

Top Bottom