• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
I really don't know what you mean by this.
Jessie caught her Yanmega by throwing a Poke Ball at it when it was weakened by another Trainer trying to get. I was jokingly suggesting that if people were going to push the Goh stole Grookey narrative, then it's karma TR lost Grookey to him.

Jessie caught her Yanmega by throwing a Poke Ball at it when it was weakened by another Trainer trying to get. I was jokingly suggesting that if people were going to push the Goh stole Grookey narrative, then it's karma TR lost Grookey to him.
The TRio are bad guys it makes sense that they would catch a wild pokemon someone else already weaken.

I get this logic of trying to demonize a literal child as somehow being worse than a criminal organization that poaches Pokemon on a week-to-week basis
1. Well no one on these forums is doing the demonising, so I don’t know why you expect people here to explain that logic because… no one is demonising a child here in the first place.
2. TRio =/= Team Rocket the criminal organisation. It’s pretty clear the former isn’t the "poaching mafia" kind of people.

You’re just heavily misrepresenting the essence of people's question that was "Why does Grookey prefer Trainer 1 over Trainer 2 for almost no reason? (Background knowledge: Trainer 1 has a history of the stars almost literally aligning for him to get a Pokémon)."

It’s just my opinion but applying the concept of "They got it because of Karma" to fictional characters is plain weird. No one is sitting here keeping score from across different series.

I think one of the biggest issues with Grookey that we don't see a lot in any of the other starters, albeit in varying degrees, is that Grookey is yet to do anything. Like, it's been here for what? A year at least? And is yet to do literally anything.

All of the other starters, as sucesfully done or not, did something in their time. Grookey has nothing going on for it besides it's annoying gag. It doesn't battles, doesn't does Constests/Showcases, it doesn't even helps Goh out at all, and to top it all off it's not even funny. It's arguably one of the most useless Pokémon in the history of the anime.

I think that that monkey's reason to be is create conflicts to solve.

Though; fixing a problem you caused, directly or by neglect, is morally questionable....

That is why I think that Gou had so much presence in the Ghost Train episode.
His gremlin caused the main problem and he actively took part on solving it.

I think that that monkey's reason to be is create conflicts to solve.

Though; fixing a problem you caused, directly or by neglect, is morally questionable....

That is why I think that Gou had so much presence in the Ghost Train episode.
His gremlin caused the main problem and he actively took part on solving it.
At that point the writers are being just as lazy as pre-BW where they used TRio to be the source of an episode’s conflict/resolution. You’d think after all these years that the writers would stop using such crutches.

I’m at a lose-lose on that one. It evolving would basically be another annoying thing since it would be the writers giving Go yet another ‘first in anime history’ where not only would it be the first time we had all 3 fully evolved starters in the main cast but under a single owner as well. The sheer amount of writers pet is bad enough without that. On the other hand if it doesn’t, the writers are gonna shove that annoying gag down our throats until the end of Journeys because God forbid Go actually have to act like a trainer for once and get his Pokémon under control. It’s like asking if the audience wants the red paper or the blue paper with no ability to choose neither.
I'll know for sure if will Grookey evolve based on whether or not his screentime starts to dissipate in the future.

The first and possibly foremost early sign that Sobble's evolution was coming was it's sudden lack of screentime and no longer being on Goh's shoulder once the Darkest Day Arc arrived
(In retrospect that should've raised some flags.... :unsure: )

I think once it evolves it should at least finally start doing something or if not, it'll just go to off-screen land with the other Starters

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom