• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
So I want to do some TV trope work for Grookey's debut episode, and to do that I want to get a read on the community feel on it. So...the whole 'Goh stole Grookey' bit...would you say that is more because Team Rocket isn't shown to be particularly bad towards Grookey (AKA they are unintentionally sympathetic) or that something Goh or Grookey do make them less sympathetic than intended (the opposite)

What would you say is the source of the issues with the scenario that Journeys went with?

So...the whole 'Goh stole Grookey' bit...would you say that is more because Team Rocket isn't shown to be particularly bad towards Grookey (AKA they are unintentionally sympathetic) or that something Goh or Grookey do make them less sympathetic than intended (the opposite)

What would you say is the source of the issues with the scenario that Journeys went with?
I'd say the former probably.

The way Goh caught Grookey wouldn't be so controversial if we shown why being with TR is so bad for Grookey.

The irony being that when TR actually did want Goh to catch a Pokemon, Goh ignores it and TR ends up catching it (Morpeko) lol

Did Ash and co, prior to this, ever end up in a situation where one of the Rocket mons ended up with them for a while and they returned it without issue? I swear that's happened before....

EDIT: Taking a glance back at the episode

A: Team Rocket didn't ever really treat Grookey badly. While at the base Grookey was free roaming and was only yelled at for doing mischevous things akin to others reactions (and also Morpeko Hangry stuff was being messed with)

B: Ash was pretty accepting of Grookey as Team Rocket's Pokemon until Grookey wanted to go with Goh instead.

C: The Rotomdex made the 'don't be a thief' bit, something Team Rocket also pointed out at the second meet up.

So the entire episode's morality seems to hinge on 'do you buy that Goh and Grookey got that close that quickly'. And I wouldn't say the episode did a terrible job at that as much as...not as good as it could have been.

Last edited:
Did Ash and co, prior to this, ever end up in a situation where one of the Rocket mons ended up with them for a while and they returned it without issue? I swear that's happened before....
Nope.

Closest I can recall is Meowth, Ekans and Koffing getting lost with Pikachu and the Kanto Starters

Nope.

Closest I can recall is Meowth, Ekans and Koffing getting lost with Pikachu and the Kanto Starters

So the thief meme is here, on L.T.Z's video, and I think Japanese twitter too. Any other places spring to mind?

Looking to make a solid entry on the topic to avoid issues.

So I want to do some TV trope work for Grookey's debut episode, and to do that I want to get a read on the community feel on it. So...the whole 'Goh stole Grookey' bit...would you say that is more because Team Rocket isn't shown to be particularly bad towards Grookey (AKA they are unintentionally sympathetic) or that something Goh or Grookey do make them less sympathetic than intended (the opposite)

If I were to say... kinda a bit of both, but pending towards the first option to me.

Like, why is that Grookey just decided to stay with Goh? What exactly were the differences between the two parties that made Grookey prefer Goh over the TRio? Cuz we didn't really saw them bonding in that ep. And it's so... bizarre in a way because the ep really wants you to think they have a ''dEeP bOnD'' but it didn't troubled itself in actually showing it to us. Just yet another instance of their ''tell don't show'' philosophy.

Also, as @Rainbow-Rain put it: the way the capture itself happened was also way too controversial for it's own good.

So the thief meme is here, on L.T.Z's video, and I think Japanese twitter too. Any other places spring to mind?

Looking to make a solid entry on the topic to avoid issues.
I think some people on US twitter and BR twitter said that too, most likely than not, inspired by JP twitter.

I'd honestly be willing to forgive that if not for the terrible way they've been handled.

It's borderline comedic
Goh's starters might just be the worst trio of starters in the entire Pokemon anime (in the way they were written/handled.)

Goh's starters might just be the worst trio of starters in the entire Pokemon anime (in the way they were written/handled.)
Well that’s what happens when you give all three starters to someone who’s entire narrative hinges on nothing more than catching Pokémon to capture Mew. There’s really nothing in his narrative to build a connected narrative to his Pokémon and give them something to do. Even with Project Mew, it comes up so infrequently and leaves nothing for him to do between tasks that would tie into it, that it does nothing to alleviate this problem.

While Cinderace has suffered since evolution IMO I like how he was handled and Sobble is much more salvageable than Grookey.

Cinderace has problems similar to Primarina in that post Evo it too out if focus. The other two are more akin to Mudkip or Chespin

granted DOAWK's community is much more toxic than this community has, has ever, and hopefully will ever be,
I'm sorry for taking this off-topic, but what? Does DOAWK even have a decently sized online community anymore? And what's so toxic about it?

Cinderace has been out of focus for so long, It almost very easy to forget that he was Goh's first capture and Pikachu equivalent

His last major focus episode was "Almost Pikachu Crisis" which was over a year ago and that was just a silly filler episode to boot (tho still more entertaining than anything Grookey has done)

40 votes in and it's almost unanimous (currently 35-5 in favor of "Yes"), which is a shame because I love Grookey as a Pokemon. Hopefully it'll be better once it inevitably evolves.
Same. Grookey is a cute Pokemon, but they handled Grookey poorly in the anime.

40 votes in and it's almost unanimous (currently 35-5 in favor of "Yes"), which is a shame because I love Grookey as a Pokemon. Hopefully it'll be better once it inevitably evolves.
Blame the writers for that one. They really screwed up with Grookey.

No because Ash’s Rowlet exists.
Not really. Rowlet got a decent story and at least tried to be competent. And it wasn’t actively malicious. Also Rowlet and Melmetal were actually cute together, unlike whatever puke-inducing "cuteness" they’re going for with Grookey. Grookey and Go reminds of those irresponsible small dog owners who let their dog display actively aggressive behaviour because "Oh it’s so cute! It’s so small and cute it could never hurt a fly! Small cute dog trying to be a tough guy!" And never actually train it to let go of the bad and harmful behaviour.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom