• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
That doesn't make Grookey look better in fact that makes Goh look just as bad because instead of owning up to what Grookey does and teaching him that its wrong to do those things. He instead blames everyone else for any wrong doing his Grookey does.
Prime example: When Grookey angered the Falinks by hitting them, the Falinks attacked Ash and Goh. Pikachu defended them and Goh entirely blames Ash for everyone being separated when it wouldn't have happened if Grookey wasn't hitting Falinks to begin with.

Prime example: When Grookey angered the Falinks by hitting them, the Falinks attacked Ash and Goh. Pikachu defended them and Goh entirely blames Ash for everyone being separated when it wouldn't have happened if Grookey wasn't hitting Falinks to begin with.
Did the show paint Goh in the right for that?

Did the show paint Goh in the right for that?
Maybe not necessarily in the right, per say, but Goh didn't suffer any sort of consequence by throwing Ash under the bus.

They just completely gloss over Goh blaming Ash for something he knows wasn't his fault, but Grookey's. Also, Goh never reprimends the monkey.

Maybe not necessarily in the right, per say, but Goh didn't suffer any sort of consequence by throwing Ash under the bus.

They just completely gloss over Goh blaming Ash for something he knows wasn't his fault, but Grookey's. Also, Goh never reprimends the monkey.
And then to add insult to injury, Go is then rewarded in the end by getting the capture. You shouldn’t get rewarded for an issue that your side caused.

And then to add insult to injury, Go is then rewarded in the end by getting the capture. You shouldn’t get rewarded for an issue that your side caused.
Yeah, but remember: Goh is the golden child, and the baby deserves a treat every time he goes out, according to the writers, that is.

Yes, Grookey did just jump on a Drakloak and started beating the poor thing while it was asleep if I recall.
And the worst part is that the ep tried sooo hard to make it seem like a super funny thing, with the background music and all.

"See kids???? Animal abuse is funny, as long as you're cute and belong to the perfect golden child Goh!!!"

It's almost like if the monkey, or Gou, does something that can be considered wrong; the anime will go out of its way to find ways to justify or paint it as fair/right.

But if another character does the same thing, then the narrative will make someone chastise or call them out. Even Gou.

It's hypocritical, or Protagonist-Centered Morality.

Honestly I am neutral because while it can be annoying, in the end how it acts is similar to an immature child that just sadly lacks disiplin
however I'm sure once it evolves, (similar scorbunny and Soble), it will go through a personality shift just like they did when they evolved

No? The Drakloak put Grookey on its head because its Dreepy went missing.

I'm not absolving Grookey, but this makes it sound far worse than it actually was.
Did it? I actually didn't watch the whole episode (I stopped watching it after the short and disappointing debut of Galarian Corsola; that ticked me off), so I don't really know why Grookey was on that Drakloak in the first place.

well team rockets always doing things like that i havent ever heard anyone complaining about them
Last time I checked Grookey wasn’t blasted off every episode or starved like TR for its reactions.
it dosent blame others for what it does. goh does that for him
A Pokémon and it’s trainer are both involved in how a Pokémon is received. That just shows Grookey is in bad hands which worsens the issue.

I swear Grookey is the very first case I've ever seen of people wanting a Pokémon to evolve solely just to get rid of him..

Usually people want a Pokémon to either stay as is because of cuteness or to evolve it's because they find their Final Stage to be cooler

Grookey is the first case I've seen where people want him to Evolve, not because they're excited to have a Rillaboom on the cast or anything, but because they just want Grookey to go away :bulbaFacepalm:

Last edited:
I swear Grookey is the very first case I've ever seen of people wanting a Pokémon to evolve solely just to get rid of him..

Usually people want a Pokémon to either stay as is because of cuteness or to evolve it's because they find their Final Stage to be cooler

Grookey is the first case I've seen where people want to him to Evolve, not because they're excited to have a Rillaboom on the cast or anything, but because they just want Grookey to go away :bulbaFacepalm:
If this is not the proof that Grookey was/is writen in an awful away and the writers completely failed it, Idk what it is, frankly.

If this is not the proof that Grookey was/is writen in an awful away and the writers completely failed it, Idk what it is, frankly.
Seriously the only other instance I've seen people even remotely react like this towards a Starter in the anime was maybe Oshawott

Admittedly Oshawott was kinda annoying but at least he did shit even without the need for Evolution

Grookey is the first case I've seen where people want him to Evolve, not because they're excited to have a Rillaboom on the cast or anything, but because they just want Grookey to go away :bulbaFacepalm:
It’s honestly a lose/lose at this point. Either we end up stuck with the monkey until Go goes away or Go breaks another trend and becomes the first main character to have all 3 evolved starter. And honestly, it’s a pick your own poison cuz I don’t know which is worse.

It’s honestly a lose/lose at this point. Either we end up stuck with the monkey until Go goes away or Go breaks another trend and becomes the first main character to have all 3 evolved starter. And honestly, it’s a pick your own poison cuz I don’t know which is worse.
Either option is an horrible one, I would rather drop and pretend Journeys never existed.

In the case of the second prospect......
Will the Galar Trio be the starters with the worst representation in the anime?

Either option is an horrible one, I would rather drop and pretend Journeys never existed.

In the case of the second prospect......
Will the Galar Trio be the starters with the worst representation in the anime?
I shudder to think how Gen 9 will be handled

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom