• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
rowlet was the worst. who wants a pokemon that does nothing but sleep
Didn't expect people to hate on Rowlet here, but must agree that he is useless sometimes :confused: . Man, this is the first time I criticize my fav. Pokemon.

Btw this thread is talking abt Grookey right? So guess I'll give my opinions:
I think Grookey aren't a bad Pokemon, but its representation in JN makes it the most-hated starter in the anime.
I agree that it is so useless and its the worst troublemaker (worse than TR lmaoo). I didn't even use a single move (other than the move y'all mentioned above), didn't do anything helpful and it caused so many troubles that it turns many episodes into fillers.
If I'm in the JN production crew, I'd like to tell the writer to give Grookey to someone else (like Ash, or Chloe, or anyone that is suitable) or let Goh release Grookey. Or just make an episode that Goh criticizing Grookey for its misbehavior and battle with it.
In all the series I've ever watched before, JN literally makes me disappointed and quit to continue it...

Last edited:
Didn't expect people to hate on Rowlet here, but must agree that he is useless sometimes :confused: . Man, this is the first time I criticize my fav. Pokemon.

Btw this thread is talking abt Grookey right? So guess I'll give my opinions:
I think Grookey aren't a bad Pokemon, but its representation in JN makes it the most-hated starter in the anime.
I agree that it is so useless and its the worst troublemaker (worse than TR lmaoo). I didn't even use a single move (other than the move y'all mentioned above), didn't do anything helpful and it caused so many troubles that it turns many episodes into fillers.
If I'm in the JN production crew, I'd like to tell the writer to give Grookey to someone else (like Ash, or Chloe, or anyone that is suitable) or let Goh release Grookey. Or just make an episode that Goh criticizing Grookey for its misbehavior and battle with it.
In all the series I've ever watched before, JN literally makes me disappointed and quit to continue it...
Hey, I like Rowlet as much as the next guy, in fact it's one of my favorite Pokemon, (I happen to love birds, owls in particular,) and my second-favorite Grass type Starter after Treecko. It's just.....Ash's Rowlet was.......not great. The sleeping gag was done to death, and the Everstone thing was garbage.

As for Grookey, I think I just......don't care anymore. It's development has been so bad it's laughable, and showcases Goh's inexperience as a trainer quite well. (And how bad the writers of this series can be sometimes, LOL.) I think at this point, I just try to pretend Grookey doesn't exist and leave it at that. We'll see what this upcoming Thwackey encounter episode does for it, but at this point it's probably too little, too late.

YIKES! You know Grookey's definitely the worst when people have started a #NOMOREGROOKEY Hashtag

https://twitter.com/rajawtheflatass/status/1505953721347366915?t=_HhPk8jFKBZw9CgemGLl6A&s=19

I also realized, that there's literally no reason given for WHY Grookey has to stay on Goh's shoulders all the time.

Scorbunny and Sobble actually had justified reasons to stay with Goh at all times

With Scorbunny that was Goh's 1st partner so it makes sense

With Sobble it also made sense because it was prone to crying and making all the other Pokemon in the Lab also cry. (Plus Scyther would've killed it if it had stayed behind)

With Grookey, it's always with Goh for no other reason other than the fact that it's a Starter of the (at the time) current region

Last edited:
With Grookey, it's always with Goh for no other reason other than the fact that it's a Starter of the (at the time) current region
Consider: it's also cuz they sure as hell want the ''cutie pie who can conviniently make problems appear as the narrative asks" front and center 24/7.

Consider: it's also cuz they sure as hell want the ''cutie pie who can conviniently make problems appear as the narrative asks" front and center 24/7.
If nothing else, Grookey really taught me something..

The amount of Screentime a Pokemon gets is not an equivalent to actual character development.

Case in point. Look at the amount of screentime Grookey gets. Does it have development tho?

It's still the same Grookey we met back in JN59. Nothing substantial has happened to it since.

Compared that with Cinderace who has definitely goe through a lot despite it's lack of screentime. The Cinderace in JN103 isn't the same character we met in JN04

Leave my boy Grookey alone!!! He ain't hurting nobody!
[Some-Stuffs]_Pocket_Monsters_(2019)_101_(1080p)_[7FD758B4].mkv_snapshot_12.35_[2022.03.12_00....jpg

So, Grookey is still useless. After how many episodes, it's only done one move, once.

I know there have been starters that never evolved or amounted to much, but Grookey just takes the cake in terms of uselessness.
And that one time Grookey used a move wasn't even in battle.

So, Grookey is still useless. After how many episodes, it's only done one move, once.

I know there have been starters that never evolved or amounted to much, but Grookey just takes the cake in terms of uselessness.
It still amazes me how they gave it an episode with Eevee to teach it to be responsible only for none of that to actually stick. What was even the point?

It might even be the most useless Pokemon in the anime ever. And here I thought Togepi was useless back in the day. At least Togepi did stuff sometimes. Hell, Grookey might even be more useless than Lana's Eevee Sandy. That's.......yikes.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom