• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Grass/Dark is the worst type combination?

How would you rank Grass/Dark?

• The worst type combination

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • One of the worst

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Not even remotely bad

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

PageEmperor

Reaction score
Yes, I know you are all tired of me complaining about how unusable this type combination is, but I can’t help it. What do you all think of this worthless typing?

Isn't Ice/Bug and Bug/Grass worse? At least Dark/Grass is 4x weak to arguably the worst offensive type in the game, meanwhile the other two are weak to some of the best offensive types like Fire.

I don't find Grass/Dark that bad since there's only four of them. While Bug/Grass has six, and the Pokemon with that combination are even worse off like Dry Skin Parasect. So, I don't think Grass/Dark is the worst.

Eh, it’s far from the worst, just kinda mid. It has a lot of weaknesses, but its x4 weakness is not a very common attacking type. Its STABs have solid neutral coverage too. I think a fast glass cannon could use it quite well.

considering that’s the likely typing of Sprigatito’s final evo and the comments of it apparently being the OP starter of this generation, this type combo might actually get a chance to shine

Nah, it's not the worst. Grass/Ice and Grass/Psychic have more weaknesses (seven total, with 4x weakness to Fire and Bug, respectively) while Grass/Bug is both terrible defensively and offensively (plus it has two 4x weaknesses as others have said). And Rock/Ice is pretty abysmal, too, as it has two 4x weaknesses to some of the strongest types in the game, thought at least it's got a decent offensive typing. So I don't think Grass/Dark is the worst. It's not great but it's not terrible, either.

Echoing what some have said above already. Grass/Dark isn't an ideal typing — but I don't think it's too bad, let alone one of the worst.

Defensively, I believe it more than makes up for that 4× Bug weakness with its full immunity to the Psychic type. Offensively, its Dark typing gives it some great STAB moves; like Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Throat Chop and Night Slash, to name a few.
Meanwhile, stuff like Bug/Grass and Grass/Ice are vulnerable to very common and powerful types, and in my experience they often struggle to hit hard before they're down.

Honestly, the way I see it, it's in a weird position where combining the pretty-good Dark type and the not-amazing Grass type simply cancel each other out and create something that's just... fine.

Gotta echo what other folks said. Grass/Dark is far from the worst typing, and it has some useful perks like immunity to spore attacks and Prankster-based moves. Speaking of those perks, they are fairly recent additions, so who knows if Grass and Dark will get something to make them worthwhile when combo’d.

Besides, Zarude has that typing and it is a fairly decent Pokémon in competitive, too. Stats and abilities can do wonders to help a “bad” typing.

Grass/dark combination is bad but to me Rock/Ground, Bug/grass and ice/rock combinations are the most risky.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom