• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think it's bad manners to not cover your mouth when yawning?

Blast

☆彡
Reaction score
This has been bugging me lately. A lot of the people I know yawn extensively with their uncovered mouths wide open, but no one seems to mind. I tried asking them and they told me they sometimes cover their mouths, even though they don't care when they don't. Personally, I was raised to always cover my mouth with my hand when letting out a big yawn since it would be considered rude and gross by others. To this day, I still cover my mouth no matter what.

Do you cover your mouth? Does it depend on the situation? I'm curious about many different opinions about this seemingly simple, yet delicate subject.

It depends for me, when I'm at home and around my brother and parents I don't cover my mouth when yawning since they don't mind. But if I'm with my friends, at work, or extended family then yes I do cover my mouth since I'll feel rude if I don't.

I don't normally cover my yawns. Usually when I do though, I notice that I tend to fist my hands and then cover it up with my fist.

From my experience, I haven't been called out for it being rude ever and I never call anyone out on it. I guess it's a very normal thing for people I'm around with and that it's not that big of a deal.

I normally cover my mouth when I yawn, especially in public, but it doesn't bother me at all when others do not cover their mouths. The most that'll happen is that I'll yawn again because they're so contagious for some reason.

Wow. I never obscure my yawns. I thought that only happens in children's shows with sleepy puppets.

I don't think I'll ever start. The world deserves to see the beauty that is my inner mouth.
yrTEWkV.jpg

Last edited:
When around my mom and brother, I am a little relaxed. But otherwise, I always make it a habit to cover my mouth while yawning.

I have read somewhere that yawns are pretty catchy. If you see someone yawning then you feel the urge to yawn too. Maybe that's why people cover their mouths while yawning. Not sure though.

I don't see it as rude at all and wouldn't give it much thought to see someone yawn while talking to me or listening to someone, though I do cover my own yawns as a habit.

I usually cover my mouth while yawning, though occasionally I might slip. As far as my opinion goes, I don't usually mind people yawning uncovered. Though, I usually look away from people yawning because of their apparent infectious nature. :D

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom