• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think it's wrong?

Is is wrong to hack a Pokémon which WILL NOT have an unfair advantage against legits?

• Yes.

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • No.

Votes: 106 54.9%

• Total voters
Can I just say the hypothetical bit in the OP wasn't anything I'd done. I only have one definitely hacked Pokémon- the Gastly my friend gave me- and I do try to complete the Pokédex all on my own, I have the means to hack a Darkrai, and I really, really want a Darkrai, but hey? I'm trying to complete Shadow of Almia (you... can get Darkrai in that... right?).

As for me, I don't really mind of people hack legit Pokemon. If you're into competitive battling and use Shoddy, you'll know what I mean. Battling with "perfect" Pokemon makes competitive battling challenging and more fun since there's a standard to how powerful each Pokemon is. However, getting a "perfect" Pokemon via traditional methods in the game is exhausting and not worth the time, so hacking legitimate Pokemon is fair and doesn't give you an unfair advantage when battling.

But the "perfect Pokémon" point is void because those DO have an advantage over regular, traditionally caught/bred and trained Pokémon. Thus, it is an unfair advantage.

If you want the "perfect Pokémon", do the work and earn it. >|

But the "perfect Pokémon" point is void because those DO have an advantage over regular, traditionally caught/bred and trained Pokémon. Thus, it is an unfair advantage.

If you want the "perfect Pokémon", do the work and earn it. >|

i have to disagree.
unless the hacked pokemon has stats that are through the roof, then usually the one that is TRAINED to level 99 has the advantage. the player knows that pokemon inside and out and probably has some good tactics to go along with it that had been developed throughout the entirety of the game. just because a pokemon has really good moves doesnt mean it will win.
the hacked pokemon that are insanely high and maxed out are usually recognizeable in an instant. if you meet someone who has these, dont fight them; its that simple.
its the same concept when you happen across someone playing Gears of War or Modern Warfare with hacks on; you kick them or you avoid them.

i think this is an interesting post; it kind of sounds like the community is split in half on this one.
half really love hacks, the other half doesnt. lol

I think it's more like half HATE hacks, about 5 people love them and the rest tolerate them.

The problem is the hypothetical situation you gave isn't the norm, nor do I understand the point in completing a Pokedex with hacked Pokemon. When people hack they're generally hacking Pokemon with amazing stats so they don't have to spend time breeding/ev training/getting tms or whatever. It can be seen as unfair from the standpoint of people who actually spend time training their Pokemon to battle.

Personally, I've never hacked nor do I intend to. I also don't like to dedicate my time to raising Pokemon with perfect IVs or anything, especially if you're going up against hacked teams on WI-FI. I prefer using Netbattle or Shoddy if I feel like battling competitively, because everyone has equal access to the same Pokemon and most people are at least above average in skill level.

Is it "wrong"? I don't jump on the moral bandwagon because I don't really see any sort of ethical issues in videogames, but I understand the perspective of people who work really hard to raise their Pokemon. I'd feel a little cheated too if people were building the same team in minutes. Though I'm sure there is a personal feeling of accomplishment knowing how hard you worked for your team. Call me neutral on the issue.

The problem is the hypothetical situation you gave isn't the norm, nor do I understand the point in completing a Pokedex with hacked Pokemon. When people hack they're generally hacking Pokemon with amazing stats so they don't have to spend time breeding/ev training/getting tms or whatever.

i used to be a breeder, but now use a pokesav. i trade with others that want all kinds of different hacked pokemon.
i know quite a bit of people that asked for hacks from me just to complete the dex.
they were often common pokemon that were in versions they didnt have, or beginning pokemon that were shiny, which are practically impossible to get legitimately. (the majority that were asked for were shiny pokemon with unaltered stats)
very rarely have i gotten someone who asked for stats changes on the pokemon i can make; and i never have altered stats.

I believe that it's wrong to hack a Pokemon that could be obtained fairly with a little elbow grease (I chased Mesprit for months before I finally bagged it). Actually, I think that any hacks that could be replaced with a little hard work are unfair. However, hacking would be excusable if the Pokemon could not be obtained through ordinary methods (say, if a person was Canadian and couldn't make it to an event-that would be me) and the person was unable to trade for it, although since event Pokemon like aren't necessary to fill the Pokedex, it's iffy. I would say that if somebody needs a Pokemon only found in another version of the game and was unable to trade for it (through GTS or otherwise, it would be permissible but not desirable. I personally would avoid hacks unless there was no other option to obtain the Pokemon, for fairness' sake as well as to avoid the glitches from the cheat cards.

Like I said before, I don't instantly create pokemon battle-ready. I train them/get the TMs and HeartScales myself. I only hack to create the base, something that may take months of work to do. Months I don't have. What that means is that I create the unevolved Pokemon with any nature, IVs, and egg moves that I need. The training is done by me and me alone.

^ I don't think there's anyone who doesn't understand that. The breeding is the hard part btw. Training is a peice of piss.

Just break it down simply guys.

Hacking a legit Pokemon. They just cancel out to a "meh" IMO. Do you see what I mean?

Just break it down simply guys.

Hacking a legit Pokemon. They just cancel out to a "meh" IMO. Do you see what I mean?

Hacking a legit pokemon? Wait, I'm kind of confused. So, are you saying that if I accidentally forget Dragon Claw on my Salamence, and I don't have a TM, that it's not fair to get 99 of them so I can undo a mistake?

Yeah, that may be a huge cheat to some people, but still. The game is meant for enjoyment, if I do not find enjoyment in only getting one TM of something, or if I don't find joy in breeding, then why is it wrong to hack so I can actually have fun?

I mean, I'm not going to buy a game for $30, play it, and say I don't like it and keep it in a safe spot. I'm going to have fun with it. This is my situation too; I find little fun in completing the Pokedex, or completing the Battle Frontier.

Video games don't give me a sense of accomplishment when I beat them. I basically just say, "Well, that was fun. Time to do something else." And I drop the controller, turn of the system, and do something else.

I don't think so. As long as the pokemon is no better than what you could have done yourself, and as long as there are no unfair advantages, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Some people just don't have the time to EV train and level grind and breed for perfect IVs and all that. I mean, if you get it just right, it's a really time consuming process. Some people do have a full schedule including school and work and sometimes more, and don't have as much time to play pokemon as the rest of you.

It's just an issue of convenience. Like I said before, if there are no unfair advantages or anything, then it shouldn't be a problem.

It's bad game design where people would rather pay money to not play the game. Hacking Pokemon is not good because everyone does not have the option of using flawless Pokemon with the best possible moves.

Say I wanted Arceus but I couldn't go to the event (I couldn't). I could just hack for Arceus itself, plopped straight into my box with whatever moves and super-stats that I wanted. Or, I could hack for the Azure Flute and actually experience the battle and be forced to hone my strategy.

Say I wanted Arceus but I couldn't go to the event (I couldn't). I could just hack for Arceus itself, plopped straight into my box with whatever moves and super-stats that I wanted. Or, I could hack for the Azure Flute and actually experience the battle and be forced to hone my strategy.

So your saying you wouldn't want to use something to its fullest?

Ok, I want a Lupunny with Switcheroo. I can just make a Lv 1 Buneary with Switcheroo, with random IV's and the right moves, but instead I would make a Lupunny and Linoone to breed it. It's suppose to make things easier; not take away some steps from doing something.

By "using something to its fullest" do you mean the hack cards? I meant that I, personally, would find it more satisfying to capture the Pokemon myself instead of having pop into existence in my PC box, but that's just me. I wouldn't condemn anyone who did hack Arceus directly into their box, if they couldn't get it through regular means (trading, GTS, event). I personally find a lot of fun in the chase, but not everyone does.

I think it's still wrong, you should try to get to Pokémon yourself. It's kinda useless to hack a Pokémon just because you want to complete your dex. It won't be legit so it doesn't really count.. I'm not against cloning though..

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom