• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think it's wrong?

Is is wrong to hack a Pokémon which WILL NOT have an unfair advantage against legits?

• Yes.

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • No.

Votes: 106 54.9%

• Total voters
Lets expand it a little then. They have many friends at school who wish to battle and compare Pokédex, however no one has any of the previous games, or Wi-fi (and yes, it happens, every Pokéfan I know personally cannot access the GTS or trade/battle online.), they all ether have Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, so cannot obtain Bulbasaur, or a fair few other Pokémon, and lets say they can't buy the games because they cannot find them in shops (I can't find ANY GBA games in my shops...).
If the only games available at all to you and your friends (Anywhere, right? This is what you going with?) are DPPt, hacking for a Bulbasaur is giving yourself an unfair advantage since your friends can't have a Bulbasaur. So you can hack yourself one, but you couldn't use it against your friends. This makes it kind of a "Why do it then?"

The pokes in DPPt are the ones GF decided you could play with. If you can't get the rest, tough luck. Plenty of games change rosters or character/monster lists between iterations. Why is Pokemon different?

insomniac said:
It all comes down to how good of a player you are then anything else. People who use the FEAR strategy use a lvl 1 Pokemon but can end up sweeping teams with it...should that be unfair too? I mean there Pokemon is 99 levels BELOW the opposing ones and yet they are sweeping...so yeah it's all about how good your strategy is and how you use your Pokemon. I've seen UU's take out Ubers, etc etc..it's all because the player using the "inferior" Pokemon was more experienced.
This is one big non-sequitor. Playing the game fairly with strategy is unfair? And it justifies cheating? Try harder.

insomniac said:
Also you said the majority of players don't use hacks, I'd like to see that proof.
READING COMPREHENSION, PLEASE. This isn't what I said. I said most people are casuals, i.e., people who don't compete competively or know anything about EV's or IV's. The majority of players are kids (being the target demographic afterall).

After looking at your response, I've decided you're a lazy bum. Save your 30 dollars, go buy another game you don't have to put effort into. How good are you at Wii Sports?

After looking at your response, I've decided you're a lazy bum. Save your 30 dollars, go buy another game you don't have to put effort into. How good are you at Wii Sports?

Just bumping in here, but, what if you're someone like me and have 500+ hours on a game (and oh trust me, I have 500+ on Diamond and I think 400+ on Platinum, and much more on my old Emerald and Crystal, and did have on Ruby before I restarted)? I mean, that's no lazy. My friend has about the same time as me, 500+ hours, and he spends a lot of time hacking shinies, however training them like you would a normal Pokémon.

Hacking doesn't necessarily mean you're lazy, perhaps sometimes just bored because you've done almost everything there is to do in the game, and my friend has completed the national dex with all-legit Pokémon (bar Arceus as we in England haven't had an Arceus event yet!), won every contest (I think), and got shit loads of berries, and a fair few level 100's.

I myself, however, despite having over 500+ hours on some games... well... I just jump from one Pokémon to the next, training and breeding for a good nature. I just thing one day "I'll train a Blissey!" and the next week I'll say "I shall train a Houndoom!" and then the next... well, god knows, it could be a Butterfree. As said, I don't hack, myself, the only Pokémon I have I know is hacked is my friends Gastly.

But, yeah. Just saying and all, just 'cause someone hacks doesn't mean you can automatically pull out the "YOU'RE LAZY" card, especially if you have 300+ hours on the game.

(I'm not sure if you were saying "People who hack are lazy" or not, but yeah this message applies to anyone who's about to type in "All hackers are lazy sods")

If someone is unfortunate enough not to have any Poke-playing friends around with whom they could swap creatures with and such, then I see no problem with them uploading a Poke or two to their game. I guess it's a bit less reasonable now, given the whole wifi worldwide connection thing, but then I guess it's not too different right? They still have to put in the work to make them good.

I'm not personally for it, but I don't necessarily hold it against those who do.

It's not right. Plain and simple. Although competitively it is equal, preparation is not. All us trainers that do not use legal hacks spend a long time breeding and RNG'ing for the perfect Pokemon and hand train them. These hackers can just make these Pokemon in an instant. It's rather depressing :(

These hackers can just make these Pokemon in an instant. It's rather depressing :(

Yes, but what if they just made a Pokémon, level 1? No SUPA AWEZOME stats, just the usual stats a Pokémon would have with it's nature. If they didn't choose anything the Pokémon was received with, they just hacked a Pokémon. Random'd the nature, random'd the attacks, random'd the stats...

Just trying to provoke discussion.

Nope. But I think it'd be wrong to hack an über pokémon with unrealistic stats, impossible skills or movesets or something like that, because those would be unfair in WiFi battles.

What do you people think of hacking event items or pokemon? I'm asking because I'll pretty much have to use Action Replay for several items, as I got my JP!Platinum only last summer when all but one event had ended. I'm living in a PAL area, so I couldn't participate in the local Oak's Letter etc. events because they're PAL only - and so I missed out on at least Shaymin and Darkrai. Since I live in a remote corner of the PAL area, store distributions are rare - and I doubt I could participate due to having a game from another region.

I can't even trade online for the legendaries, because I don't collect shinies or do that IV training stuff which people seem to really want in return for event item pokemon. *sigh* Besides, I wouldn't even feel good trading a Pochama for someone's Shaymin. The other's a breedable pokemon and thus not that hard to get, the other can't be caught in the game without an event and definitely not bred.

i use pokesav to make lvl 5 pokemans, then beat whichever game im playing (currently hgss) and beat the game with them. once i beat it, i trade them to my other version, then restart and choose new pokemans and do it all over again. im just goin in pokedex order, makes me use pokemon i never would have normally used and gives me something to do, since i dont like pokelathon, and one too many gliscor/crawdaunt quick claw guillotines make me hate battle tower :mad:

i do agree that makin WonderTomb's and playing online is wrong, and would get you banned on other consoles.....but i dont battle online sooo.......also, instead of Spiritomb with wonder guard, why dont people get like a ohko pokeman and give it no guard?

100% OHKO's?

or do they already?

No, if the stats are legit, the moves are legit the moves are legit and everything about it could be naturally obtained in-game no matter how hard, its fine. Some people use Pokesav to get shinies or pokerus or their dream team. I'm fine with that, if you dont go all hacker and give pokemon abilities they shouldn't have or moves that they cant learn then why should I care? If you didn't tell me, I probably wouldn't know. However, some people really are sticklers. For Example:

I worked super hard to design an amazing rain team, and it was pretty good, I won quite a few battles on shoddy with it and since I'm not that great of a Shoddy battler it was quite impressive for me. I worked a long time designing it and working out the tweaks with my good friend who is a far better competitive battler (though he wont admit it). We battled for ages and there were some things that made the team fall apart such as the most annoying quagsire and the odd shedinja but for the most part it rocked. So, once I figured out that there is a CD and instruction booklet in my ARDS pack that I got a year prior I figured out how to use pokesav. (Yes I know, I'm an idiot for not figuring out that there was more stuff in the box, and even more of an idiot for keeping the box for a year since I thought it was empty but that's besides the point), so I made my rain team in pokesav and transferred it to my pearl game and then traded it over to platinum. I didn't want to risk my AR ruining my platinum file and I was going to restart pearl that day anyways.

So I traded it over, put them on battle Revolution and kicked some butt in Wifi. I won 11 matches and lost 1. The only way you could tell it was hacked is, stupid me again, I have Crobat my rain lead in a cherish ball -_-. Their stats are all legit, and because I have a real shiny buizel my hacked Floatzel is shiny as well. They're all perfectly sound stat wise so why should there be a problem? Well, whenever I battle my friend, I know I cant use the team. Why? He's extremely competitive even though he doesn't even know what EVs and IVs are and wouldn't even think twice about using supporting moves unless I told him he should, if he lost and found out I was using hacked pokemon he would nag me about it for eons and blame his loss on that. And because he is so insufferably stubborn he wouldn't hear any other argument.

So, because of that, I dont use it to own people and I breed for good pokemon, plus I somehow broke my ARDS -_- and I dont want to buy a new one.

So, that's my story. Not that you, the reader, care... at all...So personally, I dont have a problem with it as long as stats are legit, cause if I would see it on shoddy why should I not see it in the game? If you want to hack for good IVs why should I be upset over it if that's how the competition goes? Those that do, I think, need to rethink their side but, that's just me. However, if you want me to battle your hacked rain team where your team all has a 999 attack/999 sp. atk stat because you hacked, sorry but I'll turn you down. IMO, anyways...

This is all about your own opinion and view on the games. As for me, I don't think it's wrong one bit. If there is no other way to obtain the Pokemon, then I think it's okay to simply cheat to gain it.

I originally said I wouldn't cheat, but after recently obtaining an action replay, I do. Why??? One simple word:profit! You see, I bought a used diamond for twenty bucks, got an Action Replay as a gift, and then hacked every pokemon and item. You know how much I got? 50 bucks! I've done this about three different times and it's all worth it. I'll admit, I don't hack for my own use, just so that I can make some extra cash. In fact, it's because of this that I was able to buy soul silver for myself. So in a way,it's still wrong, but I don't use it for my own personal gain.

I don't think it's wrong when you're doing it for breeding or completing a Pokedex (I had to do it when I started my first game, Pearl, because I didn't play any of the games before so it would be nearly impossible to get certain Pokemon). But I don't do it when I need certain Natures or Abilities because I like getting them on my own without the help of an AR code.

I'm totally okay with it. As long as it doesn't give you an unfair advantage and it could be feasibly obtained in a legitimate manner, then... who really cares?
I do agree that it's more fun to get them legitimately, though.

Yes. It's fine to "hack" pokemon that for all intents and purposes are legit

I used sendpkm to get the event legendaries (arceus, shaymin etc.) that I would never otherwise get on diamond, and the legendaries from other games.

That being said, I never actually use the legendaries, I just want the ability to have a full pokedex.

That being said, I did actually get a Manaphy egg over wifi. So that is 100% legit as is the Phione i bred.

Last edited:
This is what I'm going to throw out.

Back when I first got Diamond, I wanted an Eevee so I can get an Umbreon but didn't really have the time to find one (or I didn't know there was a free one, I'm not sure). So someone was gonna "trade" me an Eevee. It turns out, he gave me 995 of all the items. I was pissed at first because I didn't want all of them.

Looking back, I'm sure as hell glad he gave me them. My friends and I played in school in the union room and we'd do normal battles. There's no level 100 option. Do you REALLY think that I'd be able to take 6 Pokemon and train them up to level 100 from scratch after the game is over? I don't think I have a single level 100 in Platinum because I don't have the items and I don't battle with it, yet I have over 70 hours on it.

Is there anything bad about my Pokemon? If they're EV trained legitimately and don't have hacked stats, how am I supposed to battle people if I don't have rare candies? I could do level 100 battle, but that's just a hassle and I can't do that locally.

For those who disagree, let me ask you this. Is it wrong to cheat to unloack all of the songs in the original Guitar Hero games because you didn't have the time to play through them one by one and didn't want to be burdened with songs you hate? It doesn't change your skill level, it just gives you more options without having to go by a questionable system.

All hackers are lazy sods

Thank you and good night.

If you have to Hack the pokemon for your online teams( and I don't care if you only hack to make it have the nature you want. Run up and down Cycling road with five eggs and a Magmar like everyone else) then why not just play on Shoddy? And the whole shiny thing? Personally I think all the shiny sprites suck and can't see why everyone wants them so bad, but I digress. Hacking is still cheating and therefore is wrong.

Yes, because it´s like giving up...everyone starts without cheats, but if the game it´s hard some people to resort to work hard and some resort to gamesharks... also it´s common cheating to get an ultimate play, but then it´s so easy... and pointless if you don´t get advantages like use them on a contest or something,but that is just bad...

I can see where some of you saying it's okay if it's just for personal benefit are coming from, but I just see it as an unfair, cheap way to get around the hard work some of us put into the games. This one kid I met laughed at me for only having around 250 Pokemon in my Pokedex, then showed me his full dex proudly. I was impressed and asked him how long it took, he said it took two minutes with a GameShark, then tried to steal my cart and give me every freaking Pokemon to "help" me.

I only see hacking as justifiable if it is to access hidden events or scenarios to gain access to new knowledge. Otherwise, it's just a cheap way out that gets you imaginary bragging rights and pisses of players who earn their way through the game.

I don't like people hacking, if I have to put in days worth of effort to get an Elekid on Pokewalker I feel others should have to as well, but if it's something unobtainable, say only an Event, I don't mind them using Pokesav and event files to download the event Pokemon onto their game as long as it is the same one given out at the event and not modified in any way.

The problem is, even if you use an external device in that way, it will mark your game. I know people who got thrown out of the VGC for hacking a TM. Also, using it in that way is like a gate-way drug. Eventually you'll grow curious about the other aspects. So I'm going to say Yes, it is wrong. Because it defeats the whole aspect of catching/raising your own Pokémon, and can lead you into the darker sides.

As for Pokésaving Pokémon rather than raising them...it's lazy. Only time I've ever cheated in the 4th Generation was pal parking a hacked Celebi, which I then released, so I had it in my Pokédex to GTS for legit ones.

The only time I ever use unofficial methods to obtain a Pokemon is for event giveaways, and only because I have no choice. Canada never gets any events, and I can't always drive across the border or to NYC at the times they're being held. The way I do it is indistinguishable from a real event download, though, right down to the Wonder Card. Plus I only collect event Pokemon in my PC as opposed to using them, so I don't see a big problem with it.

I've filled 5 Pokedexes so far (Ruby, FireRed, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum) completely legitimately by catching what I could in the games and trading for the rest (I did have to buy a used LeafGreen cart for this, but I managed to borrow a Sapphire for the 1 Pokemon I needed from it). Thanks to Bulbapedia as a reference sometimes, when I wanted to know exactly where to catch something in a few cases.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom