• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Journeys is Ash's Swan Song?

maybe that's why Goh was introduced so he can take over...

but nah, we've been saying this for damn near 2 decades now, Ash isn't going anywhere long-term or permanently

maybe that's why Goh was introduced so he can take over...

but nah, we've been saying this for damn near 2 decades now, Ash isn't going anywhere long-term or permanently
Things can change. The anime now is nothing like it used to, but I don't know if they would be able to make Gou interesting enough to make him the focal character of the series.

the new chacter would be needet to be more science and knowledge type, maybe a girl... but the solution of giving Ash new friends and travel companions and catching new pokemon every generation fullfilled a specific goal, to show how long it takes to become a very good trainer...
now what could cause him to start with only one pokemon from the start? a big loss? maybe this world tournament will take him to Galar and let go go his path seperately? Have a feeling ash gets a full line to evolve Rillaboom...

Sadly Ash's story isn't something that builds upon itself each region/season and even more sadly, the anime is somewhat there just to promote the games (I really wish it was more it's own entity and we could have the same travel companions each region).

If anything we'll probably just get another reset and see him looking at Pokemon he previously caught as if he's never seen one before.

Of course not. People make topics about this like every other month but by now shouldn't it be obvious that the anime isn't going to end in the near future? I bet most of us will be in retirement homes before the show ends. And as for Ash being replaced that's not going to happen either since he's too iconic to get rid of.

I don't think they're replacing him outright. But the fact that Goh has been catching more Pokémon than Ash--something no other main character has ever done-- suggests to me that they are in the process of de-emphasizing him as the main character. Goh, not Ash, is the active protagonist of the Journeys anime. It is his goals, his dreams, that drive the plot. Ash is still present, but he takes a backseat role compared to Goh-- the veteran Trainer who has already competed in several Pokémon Leagues showing the newcomer the ropes.
That's where I see Ash heading. Already we've had one episode where Ash doesn't appear at all that revolves entirely around Goh. I don't see Ash being "retired" from the show, not the way other main characters were. But he's not going to be the driving force of the plot the way he used to be. He'll be a mentor figure, passing on his skills to Goh.

I don't think they're replacing him outright. But the fact that Goh has been catching more Pokémon than Ash--something no other main character has ever done-- suggests to me that they are in the process of de-emphasizing him as the main character. Goh, not Ash, is the active protagonist of the Journeys anime. It is his goals, his dreams, that drive the plot. Ash is still present, but he takes a backseat role compared to Goh-- the veteran Trainer who has already competed in several Pokémon Leagues showing the newcomer the ropes.
That's where I see Ash heading. Already we've had one episode where Ash doesn't appear at all that revolves entirely around Goh. I don't see Ash being "retired" from the show, not the way other main characters were. But he's not going to be the driving force of the plot the way he used to be. He'll be a mentor figure, passing on his skills to Goh.

I don't really see how Ash isn't an active protagonist of Journeys. Goh is catching more Pokemon, but often times his captures aren't really the main focus of an episode and I think at least part of the reason he is catching more Pokemon than any other main character is because that is his entire goal. Not to mention Ash's goal of getting through the World Championship to defeat Leon has gotten plenty of focus too. The notion that Ash takes a backseat role compared to Goh just sounds strange to me. I don't even think that was the case prior to Ash entering the World Championship. Based on what I've seen and heard of Journeys, I don't really get the impression that they're de-emphasizing Ash as the main character.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom