• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that May should have gotten some Johto specials?

Cilan

Reaction score
I know I'm late with this since May's been off the show for years, but I always wondered why she was the only past character that never got a special (well, Max too, but he doesn't have a pokemon.) Misty and Brock got Chronicles episodes, and with Brock he got that DP special, Dawn got a special, and even Tracey was involved with a lot of the Chronicle specials. I just wished that May could have got her own special either before or after she came back in DP, whether it be a contest or her competing in the Johto Grand Festival.

Considering how bad Dawn's 1 special turned out to be, maybe its a blessing in disguise they didn't make any.

Considering how bad Dawn's 1 special turned out to be, maybe its a blessing in disguise they didn't make any.

While you could say that on the whole the writers seem to hold may In greater respect so they could have made it better. Or they can take the easy way out and use Harley.

Her being in Twinleaf Town (and still being in the region she'd just competed in) are factors that made it predictable. May's probably would've been 10x better because it could've been a contest or Grand Festival episode. Plus, Dawn's rivals all went their separate ways, whereas May, Drew, Harley, and Solidad all stayed together; it would've been interesting to see their interactions since we last saw them in BF.

do i think may deserves a special? what would daniel bryan would say in the beginning of the year? a yeah i remember YES YES YES YES YES

It would have been nice if we found out how she did in the Johto Grand Festival, whether it be a special or with maybe Ash + co watching it on TV before Dawn's Grand Festival.

I would have liked a handful of specials involving Haruka and her Jotho journies at the beginning of DP, similar to what Kasumi got back in AG. Just like Kasumi's departure Haruka's last few episodes left the audience with lots of questions about the new adventures of the past female maincharacters and Kasumi's episode did work pretty well, at least in my eyes.
Seeing Haruka with Jotho Pokémon, throwing in a few Jotho character cameos ( Kurt who opens the GS ball in the background of one episodes, only to be sucked in, never to be seen again, would have been awesome :p ), seeing more of Harley and the other rivals and, of course, seeing her Pokémon evolve and so on.

The difference to Kasumi's quest is nothing you can ignore though. Kasumi's dream can be kinda fullfilled in a stationary workplace like the gym. Seeing her getting accustomed to her new job, making badges, battling challengers and just living together with her crazy sisters served as a good closure to Kasumi's character even without Kasumi accomplishing her dream.
But Haruka is a traveler. She has training sessions, takes part in contests and eventually the GF plus she has 3 rivals the writers would have to work with. Writing anything that gives the character an ending that feels like a true ending to the character is not easy when you have only a handful of specials to work with, especially if you don't want to show her winning a GF.
This may be the reason why, in retrospect, I think that a few specials for Haruka wouldn't work as well as they did for Kasumi.
It is pretty sad to me that we haven't even heard a single word about her ever since she returned to Jotho in DP, especially when you could have at least shown her watching Hikari's GF. Hikari could have mentioned Haruka in some way during her departure in BW, but Hikari didn't mention anything interesting bar Takeshi during her comeback.

To cut a long story short, I would have liked a few specials when Haruka was gone just for a few months but looking back I doubt I would have enjoyed them as much as Kasumi's.

It was better than nothing though.

Yeah, I totally agree that May should have gotten some kind of special, even Max should have. It would have been great to see May going to Johto alone, she was definitely robbed of that extra screentime. Even Misty who is treated like dirt by the writers got the Chronicles episodes.

you know what i been thinking, its to late for a johto special, but not for a shinno special

Definitely, and if chronicles didn't stopped airing im sure May would get some coverage on her Johto adventures. Her leaving after Wallace Cup left many things open and unanswered about her future growth as coordinator, how far she came in Johto Grand Festival, to what region sh headed afterwards etc.

It definitely had potential to make interesting storyline out of it, and seeing some of her rivals again in action like Drew and Harley would be highly appreciated too. Judging by huge improvement she made as coordinator when returning in DP having already 3 ribbons and bunch of evolved pokemon like Venusaur, Wartortle and Glaceon i wouldn't be surprised if she even went all the way winning GF without us even knowing. And we will probably be left in dark on that regard unfortunately, unless she appears again.

The difference to Kasumi's quest is nothing you can ignore though. Kasumi's dream can be kinda fullfilled in a stationary workplace like the gym. Seeing her getting accustomed to her new job, making badges, battling challengers and just living together with her crazy sisters served as a good closure to Kasumi's character even without Kasumi accomplishing her dream.

That wasn't proper closure if you ask me since she didn't come to realization how to become water master and many things about her past and motivations were left unexplored .
Unlike its case with others with Misty writers left things rather undefined, taking over gym out of necessity and sisters incompetence being used as plotline to remove character from cast, not being set what are future plans regarding her own dreams leaving story open.

Not to mention for her dream staying at gym simply doesn't cut it, since its required to travel learning things you cant at one place to go on higher level as mono trainer(like Wallace did), enter tournaments as Whirl Cup showed and explore new pokemon and regions.

Last edited:
Probably. Usually a pleasure when they show what's going on other parts of Pokeworld and that there's life outside of Ash.

May is the forgotten middle child. Misty was the first and dawn had the Most marketability due to piplup. All may has going for her is better writing and that's not enough nowadays

May is the best written female character in the show. She definitely deserves it, but that doesn't mean it would be best for the show.

At this point i guess only chance to ever find out anything about May Johto adventures is through another set of chronicles being made. Pity they got cancelled because first set was liked by many people with several intriguing characters getting chance to shine in them.
Its always good getting some update and info about companions who are no longer part of main cast and to see how their story is progressed and what they have been up to.

It would also satisfy many fans giving to us side story where for a change Ash isn't main center of attention, capitalizing on popularity of others increasing fans interest. Older characters are definitely capable of pulling in different demographic(older fanbase)along with target audience bringing more profit.

And May is among most popular characters in this show, being widely accepted definitely deserving some follow up after departure and recognition.

I always wandered if she formed new rivalries with other characters during her Johto adventures, and perhaps in that case we might have saw more of her Venusaur and Wartortle from who we didn't got much chance to shine during cameo appearance.

But eh i suppose it wasn't in cards, maybe if she appears for RS remakes we find out at least how she fared at Johto Grand Festival.

May is the best written female character in the show. She definitely deserves it, but that doesn't mean it would be best for the show.

To be honest all main girls have their ups and downs. I definitely enjoyed more in May contest arc, though Dawn got more fleshing out and focus in that field. On other hand in character sense i feel May changed more as person better reflecting her growth as coordinator, and while Misty didn't got proper treatment in goal sense her growth as character was more believable than Dawns imo.

With Iris ill stay restrained until her run is over.

May is the forgotten middle child. Misty was the first and dawn had the Most marketability due to piplup. All may has going for her is better writing and that's not enough nowadays

Actually that would be better than what's going on now. May was very well written. She wasn't too out there and wasn't too in the background that you didn't think she didn't existed.

Actually that would be better than what's going on now. May was very well written. She wasn't too out there and wasn't too in the background that you didn't think she didn't existed.

Well duh, even when Misty was at her worst, ie those filler eps in Johto where all she did was say HI I'm misty and hold Togepi she was better than Iris

Well duh, even when Misty was at her worst, ie those filler eps in Johto where all she did was say HI I'm misty and hold Togepi she was better than Iris

was, is and will be if they keep iris like that

Guys, this topic is about May and whether or now she shoudl have gotten specials. Remember to keep complains or general debates on other characters in their respective debate threads.

I would have liked to see some specials with May in Johto. She was my favorite female lead and she had a really fun personality. Not to mention she would still have her rivals like Drew and Harley to bounce off with, so it could have been entertaining. Plus, it would have been nice to see how she did in those Johto Contests as well as in the Johto Grand Festival. Though, I would have settled for just mentioning how far she got in that Grand Festival either at the end of DP or before Dawn left, but seeing it in a special would have been way better.

I think a SHITLOAD of old characters have to have some sort of episode, personally.

at least Tracey got a cameo on the opening of Rival Destinies (or so i've heard), simmilar to how he, Misty, May and Gary got one in high touch. But, I'd really like to see a HUGE FUCKING REUNION SPECIAL (although, as The Fighting Misty said, because they fucked up Dawn's episode, it's probably a blessing in disguise that the creators consider old characters dead.)

I want to know how well Brock is doing with studying to be a Pokemon doctor. I want to see Misty in the Pokemon World Tournament, explaining to Ash that ALL the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova gym leaders are battling to become the best. I wanna see Gary show up with a shitload of fossil pokemon, and he and Ash attempt to PWN ALL THE GYM LEADERS in a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ARK, (only for some Tobihax to win, or even better, CYNTHIA!) I wanna see how May and Dawn are going, perhaps they both have to battle in the Johto grand festival again, and they tie, and they go to Unova to show Ash their accomplishments and cheer him on in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ARK! Dawn would go all fangirl on Gary again, Brock owns all the Unova leaders with his kickass Chansey, Ash would kick Trip and Gary's asses again, only to lose to Cynthia or Misty (fuck having some random beat Ash!)

But, I'm not a writer on the show, so the only way I could see this creation made would be to write a shitty fanfic about it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom