• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that Ohmori is off to a good start (as a core series director)?

Yeah, sure, let's try to make repetition interesting. Brilliant idea.

Ehh, I can kind of understand it. I mean, if it were me, I would have just razed the existing roster altogether and created new encounter tables with Pokémon from newer generations and had those be available from the beginning, but it’s clear that GF fall firmly on the other side of the Remake Revision Philosophy Debate. And while I have my own allegiance in that debate, I don’t think there’s a necessarily right or wrong side in it. If I look at it from the other end, which wants the remakes to be more faithful to the originals, then I do think the DexNav is a clever workaround. I would basically never use a Nincada in Ruby, but in Omega Ruby, when I was able to grind for one with Night Slash early on, that’s a different story.

Last edited:
Yeah, sure, let's try to make repetition interesting. Brilliant idea.
i mean....were they wrong though? like, i always see it floated for SM that it's so annoying that virtually every route has the same encounter table of Rattata/Yungoos and Pikipek. and yet, i almost never see anyone saying that about ORAS despite the fact that it has a similar problem.

for them it clearly was a means to an end.

Not really. festival plaza was an inferior copy of join avenue. Bottlecaps are too hard to get. The common complaints about Zinnia's character are justified. He goes from making the most convenient method of obtaining hidden abilities to the least. No battle facility/not enough rematches in either of his games. His use of rng is inconvenient see pokepelago, festival plaza and mirage spots. Sun and Moon are a little too cut scene heavy especially at the start even compared to other Pokemon games.

And here's a big one there isn't high enough level stuff to battle in sun and Moon post game.

@Bolt the Cat; what dexnav comment?

I don't have the best opinion of Ohmori. His first games could've been so much better had he not been so out of touch with modern gamers. ORAS had some questionable changes and omissions, while SM was just way too obssessed with Kanto. I'd also have to question why Gen 7 Pokemon were hidden behind low encounter rates.

@Bolt the Cat; what dexnav comment?
I'm guessing Bolt the Cat meant this interview. Essentially, Dexnav wasn’t included because they felt it wasn't necessary for SM's dex variety.

Last edited:
He has lots of good storytelling potential. I just hope he understands that more content in the postgame is a good thing.

Ok, for one thing, you've gotta remember that even though he's the director, that doesn't mean he had complete control over everything, and a good proportion of stuff he might not have been too involved with. So while I have plenty of complaints about SM, I'm hesitant to really put so much of the blame on Ohmori himself, since it's really not clear how much of it was him, and how much of it was the rest of the team.
It feels likely that a lot of the story direction would likely have come from him, and I enjoyed the heavier focus on story and characters, so I'm willing to give him a bit of credit there. But I'm still hesitant to really praise or condemn him for most other stuff, since there's really no way to tell how much of it actually came from him.

I still think Masuda's work on BW has yet to be topped, but hey; Ohmori still did a solid job with Gen VII (much better than XY-era Masuda), even if it seems like USUM is gonna be massively superior to SuMo.

I could definitely do without all the Gen I pandering, though.

Last edited:
Spent half an hour failing to get a weak armor Onix. It ran away after I bumped into a corner. Fuck stealth. Ohmori get your shit together. Yeah we don't know how much of it was his fault but he failed to meet the bar of previous auxillary games.

It is I called it the most convenient method for a reason. But stealth is irksome. I was just mad.

Let’s just make this simple.
No.
ORAS was decent, but SM was so bad... I’ve never played the original RSE but people like them better then ORAS.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom