• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that Ohmori is off to a good start (as a core series director)?

Reaction score
His games thus far being ORAS and SM, the latter of which is his first wholly original game.

I don't really like either of them, but I definitely think that he is doing well in some way. Trying to break conventions and play with new ideas. Particularly in SM, with more emphasis on world building and culture, the Trials and Totem Bosses in the place of Gyms, etc. Wanting to 'build a new game from scratch', as he once put it in interviews. It's respectable. While the uptick in story isn't really for me, and inconsistency with gameplay features is immensely annoying...I do like the creativity in Ohmori's direction so far, and I think there's definitely potential.

I'm not really sure what quality he's bringing to the table that is uniquely his own. I don't get the feeling that Pokémon games are generally very auteur affairs, and Masuda has still had a lot of input on both ORAS and SM. So it's kind of a negligible difference to me.

If his personal contribution is the increased story content, then cool, I guess, but he's got some kinks to work out. ORAS provided an existing framework upon which to improve the story, which I think he did well with, but when left to his own devices with SM, it was Melemele cutscenes galore and no auto-save before the post-Champion half-hour epilogue and Tapu Koko battle. As a first-time mistake I can let that slide, but it needs to be handled better in his next attempt.

Overall, he gives me the impression of being under Masuda's influence and not really breaking away from it, but I appreciate the (probably temporary) departure from gyms and toning down the "end of the world" trope for SM. That said, as a Lost fan I have to say that something went wrong with Alola's design apart from Poni Island.

Still waiting for a young director who grew up with the series.

Yeah, I can't tell any kind of difference between Masuda's direction and Ohmori's direction, I'm not even sure there is any. I'm still waiting for someone to break away from this "we only make games for casual players" direction before I can declare any change in direction to be a positive one.

I used to like Ohmori, but I'm not sure I still do.

Iwao gives me good vibes though. Hopefully the guy redeems Alola in my eyes.

Considering both ORAS and SuMo have been my least favorite games I don't really like him or the direction they've been taking the series for a while now.
I hated ORAS (but I did not really care for RS in the first place so I don't know if it that was really the reason) and absolutely despise SuMo (my least played games, I finished the story and didn't touch it ever since, went back to XY and Gen 4/5 games)

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I really liked both ORAS and SM. I’m just not sure how much of what I liked in them was Ohmori’s specific input, so I don’t know how much credit I should give him in an evaluation of his contributions.

Not at all. He is putting to much emphasis on story instead of having an adventure and catching Pokemon

I don't mind story just put it in my fave the whole game without a break

like the way of animation but come on give us gyms, battles and a proper league in future for the anime and games.

Hope they fix some things like the move dragontail in the anime.

The way SM is going resembles a little Johto and Kanto, but as I said above we would need more a goal, more changes to pokemons and movesets in the case of Ash and the rest of the current Alolan cast.

like the way of animation but come on give us gyms, battles and a proper league in future for the anime and games.

Hope they fix some things like the move dragontail in the anime.

The way SM is going resembles a little Johto and Kanto, but as I said above we would need more a goal, more changes to pokemons and movesets in the case of Ash and the rest of the current Alolan cast.

Ohmori has nothing to do with the anime. This thread is about the games.

I need to see how USUM and Pokemon Switch comes out. Since my first game was Emerald I wasn't too thrilled with what the ORAS remakes produced, like I felt like a Hoenn vibe was missing somehow. On the other hand, Sun and Moon is really high up in my top 10 favorite games list, because of unique features. I think we need to see how the next few games would go.

After his DexNav comment, I've lost some respect. But maybe USUM will restore some of it.

Oh, the Dexnav comment is definitely leaving me questioning his sanity. Never mind that what people like about the Dexnav is the accessibility of HAs, Egg Moves, and shinies, if his whole point was to improve Hoenn's Pokemon variety then why did he lock the actual expansions to post game? That literally defeats the entire purpose. Even by his own logic it's completely insane.

actually it was locked until after Groudon or Kyogre

Which pretty much was post game because that's when you got the National Dex. At any rate, having to trudge through tons of Zigzagoons in the main game to fully utilize the mechanic that fixes the problem of too many Zigzagoons is groundbreakingly nonsensical.

Oh, the Dexnav comment is definitely leaving me questioning his sanity. Never mind that what people like about the Dexnav is the accessibility of HAs, Egg Moves, and shinies, if his whole point was to improve Hoenn's Pokemon variety then why did he lock the actual expansions to post game? That literally defeats the entire purpose. Even by his own logic it's completely insane.

Strictly speaking, the quote (at least as translated) isn’t saying that the DexNav was supposed to improve variety, but rather to make encountering the same stuff as in the originals more interesting. Let’s read a clearer version of more-or-less the same quote, from the ORAS guidebook interview:

> Ohmori: You were able to meet a lot of different Pokémon in the Kalos region, which was the setting of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Now that our players have experienced that once, we needed to add some new idea to Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. These games are set in the Hoenn region, and the different varieties of wild Pokémon that live there are limited when compared to the Kalos region. These new encounters were what we needed to help turn this weakness into a strength. Since the information that you can learn about wild Pokémon gradually increases each time that you encounter a Pokémon of the same species, the encounters themselves become more fun. You’ll meet plenty of Pokémon like Zigzagoon and Poochyena, but thanks to that, those Pokémon might be hiding some amazing skills. We’ve designed these encounters with Pokémon in the field in the hope that our players will want to meet the various different Pokémon and learn more about them.

So the point wasn’t to improve Hoenn’s variety. It was to take Hoenn’s existing roster and find a way to make it more enticing within its own confines.

After his DexNav comment, I've lost some respect. But maybe USUM will restore some of it.
after that quote I dislike him even more. He is clearly out of touch with the fans who actually play the game, which he should care about because we are the consumers of their product.

Strictly speaking, the quote (at least as translated) isn’t saying that the DexNav was supposed to improve variety, but rather to make encountering the same stuff as in the originals more interesting. Let’s read a clearer version of more-or-less the same quote, from the ORAS guidebook interview:

> Ohmori: You were able to meet a lot of different Pokémon in the Kalos region, which was the setting of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Now that our players have experienced that once, we needed to add some new idea to Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. These games are set in the Hoenn region, and the different varieties of wild Pokémon that live there are limited when compared to the Kalos region. These new encounters were what we needed to help turn this weakness into a strength. Since the information that you can learn about wild Pokémon gradually increases each time that you encounter a Pokémon of the same species, the encounters themselves become more fun. You’ll meet plenty of Pokémon like Zigzagoon and Poochyena, but thanks to that, those Pokémon might be hiding some amazing skills. We’ve designed these encounters with Pokémon in the field in the hope that our players will want to meet the various different Pokémon and learn more about them.

So the point wasn’t to improve Hoenn’s variety. It was to take Hoenn’s existing roster and find a way to make it more enticing within its own confines.

Yeah, sure, let's try to make repetition interesting. Brilliant idea.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom