• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that Pikachu brings a lot to the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Child of the Atom
Reaction score
This is the general thread to discuss Pikachu.

Pikachu, as well as Ash, have both been there from the very beginning. Do you feel that Pikachu still brings a lot to the Animé as a character? Or do you feel that he has grown stale over the years?

Last edited:
In the first season Pikachu actually had a personality and was entertaining. Ever since...Johto really, its been just there. Its battles usually take up screentime away from others and it never really does much of anything interesting anymore.

I agree with Gliscor'd in that its mainly just there to look cute and have the rare episode where we see one of its plots rehashed (Raichu comes to mind). I'd say it was down there with some of the birds in the personality part in Sinnoh.

Last edited:
No - cuz Pikachu is a pokemon version of Ash. Just like Ash, Pikachu kept getting reset every start of the region. And I'm kinda getting sick of Thunderbolt and Quick Attack.

The only part I guess he's shown character development was when he fought against Electivire families, or Raichus. OR a whole pack of Spearows.

Well, indeed, Pika isn't the most interesting character, and I may agree that his oversaturation may have something to do with it. I will also agree that most of his development took place in the earlier sagas, but I will also say that is the most development he ever needed, other than the upgrade he got alongside Ash as being the experienced one of the team in AG, but arguably, he already had this upgrade in Johto as well. Past AG, though, that is where he starts to run thin. Mostly because he didn't learn any new moves past Volt Tackle for a very long time. He went all of DP without something to make it more interesting. However, I wouldn't say Pika is as borked as Ash is in BW. If the "losing his power" running gag since AG is supposed to signify a reset, then I don't see it too well. Pika has always been as powerful as he was before, but it seems the writers love to make Pika seem a little more mortal now than ever. I felt it in the middle of DP, which made the battle with Raichu more significant for me. There would have been no shame in allowing Pika to evolve, he had earned it, and I felt he had reached the limit of his ability as a Pikachu. Since Pika is the mascot, they couldn't let that happen. Now in BW, it's as if Pika suddenly became the writers' punching bag, and even though he learned a new move at last, it hasn't helped him much at all. Well, to be fair, I guess the above does mean that he has received some development, but I still wouldn't say he's too interesting of a character, he's now supposed to be like Ash, an audience surrogate, except that I believe that Pika is more adequate than Ash is right now for that.

Not these days, no. I often forget he's even there, but that's a good thing, really. Back in the Kanto days, when he would hog most of the limelight and have an important roles in most battles, I couldn't stand him. These days, his character is rather bland and his power is annoyingly inconsistent, but if nothing else, it's good to have a familiar presence in the show.

Pikachu is one of my favourite Pokemon.

But even I get annoyed with having it be there looking cute and not doing anything creative or funny like he did back in Kanto.

When he does get the spotlight and chance to show his personality...he is just a mini Ash. Goodie-goodie Pika-stu. <.<

What happened to the Pikachu that choked on food? Made random faces and expressions in the background while serious stuff was going on in the foreground? The Pikachu that actually had it's disagreements with Ash and pointed out things he didn't really notice?

Nothing doin nowadays for the rat, as others have said. The value for the rat diminishes gen after gen

Ash should have captured the regional Cute Electric-type(s) every region...

Anime = Pikachu, godly.

Games = Pikachu, utter trash.

Not anymore, no.

I was never that big of a Pikachu fan but especially now in Best Wishes the only time he seems relevant is when someone from Unova fangirls over seeing a Kanto pokemon. The only two times I actually enjoyed Pikachu's presence in BW was the Elesa battle when he was acting like a spoiled little brat, and when Nyasu joined the twerps for a bit and Pikachu didn't trust him. Most of the time he just seems like an annoying background character, there but not really...doing anything. I agree with what's already been said about the over saturation. Pikachu was much more entertaining in Kanto, but he was also fresh and new then.

I wish Satoshi would ditch him and focus on his team as a whole, but I know it will NEVER happen ;P

Not anymore. Now it just takes up time from Ash's other pokemon.

Pikachu added stuff early on not so much in anymore but it is a good battling machine (and I rather dislike people using that term negatively because that's all I want out of a Pokemon really). It is useful to the plot because it is a pokemon Ash has that is powerful and Ash being powerful is an important plot point.

Besides his connection with Satoshi, his role as cool brother within main characters' Pokémon[besides Mimirol's crush on him, which really didn't do anything for me becuase it didn't do anything for plot besides her debut and Phione episode(damn, if it weren't for its/his luck charm, Urara would have won! Totally!) and only helped to cement the fact she is girly; but including Pochama, becuase he and Pikachu had a pretty good bro relationship, espically during the last episodes and final episode of D/P series], the occasional comedy relief(be it slapstick or more absurd things like infamous ketchup scene), the occasional legendary battle(which brings out lovely controversies for our forums that will be debated for years and years to come), he really doesn't do anything for me, because I am pretty sure that is the extent of his character and pretty much anything he does really(well, okay, he had a relationship with Elekible that actually developed into something pretty cool over episodes, specifically Tobari City arc, but that is all I can think of).

I have to say however I like his battles, mostly because of some interesting tactics writers can bring out to make him a relevant powerhouse(which they kinda have to, becuase you know, it is still a goddamn Pikachu), or just interesting battles due to his capabilities, be it his ability Static(Denji battle) or his moveset which allows him to battle with either head on charging, with his tail, through long range or with all of his body. These are completely useless abilities in a 2D turn based game, but in a 3D world without turn based moves these are invaluable for quick counterattacks and better animated and cool looking battles.

So I think he brings quite a lot to show, but certainly not to the extent of being irreplacable besides his relationship with Satoshi(though for that one could argue by pointing out Goukazaru who got more screentime and focus concerning his relationship with Satoshi but not only their relationship was actually relevant to Shinji's character and Goukazaru's own character, they weren't as close buddies as with Pikachu and couldn't be because it was not like Goukazaru and Satoshi had entire 4 year generations worth of memories.)

Wow this is probably the most contrived thing I wrote on this forum besides my episode riffs. I am really starting to think I might be thinking way too much about a show about time travelling forest fairies, Dragon Ball referencing rodents with rainbow flatulance, foxes that turn into ten/eleven year old girls and boys, and campy sociopaths with alive, masochist voodoo dolls.

Not much nowadays, I like when he showed his naughty nature, show his bro/veteran side to other pokemon, try to call the others using similar sounds to their real names (e.g. Pikapi/Satoshi, Pikachupi/Kasumi)... But eeek, idk, I don't see it being explored as much as I think it should be D: I do agree his role as Ash's powerhouse/best friend (oh, and mr token of cuteness) is important but sometimes I feel that writers think this is the only thing he can do...

Also, I really wish his impersonation gag thing could be brought back to the anime
Pikachu+-+Mizugorou.JPG

or am I the only one who love these scenes? xD

Its more like it takes everything away from the show. There are so many pokes that could have had more screen-time rather than ash's rodent, like ash's torkoal.

It was cute in the beginning but now its there just for the sake of it. (The writers can't remove it, can they?)

@Hellion
Can i suggest a poll for this thread?

Not really. At least not anymore. Just seems like it is there to be cute and nothing more to me.

Not much nowadays, I like when he showed his naughty nature, show his bro/veteran side to other pokemon, try to call the others using similar sounds to their real names (e.g. Pikapi/Satoshi, Pikachupi/Kasumi)... But eeek, idk, I don't see it being explored as much as I think it should be D: I do agree his role as Ash's powerhouse/best friend (oh, and mr token of cuteness) is important but sometimes I feel that writers think this is the only thing he can do...

Also, I really wish his impersonation gag thing could be brought back to the anime
Pikachu+-+Mizugorou.JPG

or am I the only one who love these scenes? xD

SO I HERD U LEIK PIKACHUZ AND MUDKIPZ?

Anyhoo... Pikachu is like Cadillac for GM. he is very reconizable on a global scale and has been around since the begining. Pikachu is god like with his power but he has made many fails during his time such as getting rid of Volt tackle and being de tuned from level 98,023,393 to around level 23 each season. he does seem to be the brains of the group and does seem to be the most competent. he could do more but at least he hasnt hit rock bottom yet in terms of in show preformance. so yea he does bring a bit to the show but it has been focused away from him over the years

They could do alot more with Pikachu in my opinion. Give him a rival, or so sort of unique relationship with another teammate. Re-introducing his personality quirks would be a big plus as well.

Another thing that would be cool would be to introduce some sort of small plot arc that forces Pikachu to learn more than speed + power. The Pikachu species can learn more than just attacks - Light Screen, Agility, Double Team, Charge, Charge Beam. More interesting moves include Substitute (ninja Pika?) or Magnet Rise (flying Pika?). A support move could really add some creativity to his battles. But even without those moves, Ash's Pikachu hasn't used Counter Shield or activated Static recently - even those would bring some freshness and sense of growth.

What I would like to see is Pikachu having a saga-long rival like Paul to Ash (or Electrivire to Infernape). Have Pikachu be forced to learn new tactics not seen before in the anime to overcome his own limited size and power. I personally want to wish that Pikachu still has more to offer - being a small athlete myself, I always like seeing the smaller guy use unique tactics to win. Since Pikachu refuses to evolve, he reflects that better than others like Snivy who simply are just underleveled.

I have absolutely nothing against Pikachu.
He doesn't annoys me. He's not the attention youknowwhat he used to be in the original anymore. And he still participates in battles and episodes with relevant roles. Considering they need to use the human protagonists since they're easier to understand and to feel familiarilized to, I think Pikachu does well enough for a pokemon character...

If anyone matured through the series (in terms of attitude, not 'level' as that doesn't matters in the anime) it's him. So I think he's fine the way he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom