• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the show?

HumanDawn

Living the rich life
Reaction score
Do you ever think that marketing has ever affected the writing of the show?

The decisions? The quality? The originality? Evolutions? Screen time of characters? The plot?

Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

so damn much. whystuff never evolves most times, why they never seem to let Anyone reach their goals, why there were 2 movies for the 14th film when they could have used one, why they are showing other Gym leaders despite ash already having 8 badges....

the list goes on.

It may be even worse then how WB used to effect their DC films.

Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

Definitely. The list is far too long. The anime is one big advertisement for all things Pokémon.

One big example is Ash's Pikachu. He's arguably Ash's strongest, but why isn't he a Raichu? Because that would be marketing suicide.

Last edited:

I think it mainly affects Pokemon that never evolved that otherwise should of, like Piplup and now (sadly) Oshawott.

Definitely. The list is far too long. The anime is one big advertisement for all things Pokémon.

Exactly, and it's a rather poor advertisement for Pokemon merchandise at that too, the writers barely put any effort in the anime to make it creative, and instead, half-ass it and poorly stitch it together in order to sell the latest merchandise. Compare that to a franchise like Star Wars or Transformers, in which the writers and producers try their hardest to be creative with the franchises, and can do it successfully by telling a great story, while still being able to sell the merchandise for said franchises, the Pokemon anime just rushes everything to completion so they can sell merchandise.

I can go on for hours listing all the major and minor problems of the Pokemon anime, but this by far has to be one of the anime's BIGGEST problems is the marketing.

One big example is Ash's Pikachu. He's arguably Ash's strongest, but why isn't he a Raichu? Because that would be marketing suicide.
so damn much. whystuff never evolves most times, why they never seem to let Anyone reach their goals, why there were 2 movies for the 14th film when they could have used one, why they are showing other Gym leaders despite ash already having 8 badges....

the list goes on.
I think it mainly affects Pokemon that never evolved that otherwise should of, like Piplup and now (sadly) Oshawott.
Sadly, it's true, with a total of 649 different Pokemon, it would be hard to market them all at once, the main problem is that they only ever market, at most, 5-6 Pokemon 90% of the time, which are usually Pikachu, the base forms of the current generations starters (and never their evolutions unless their name is "Charizard"), and the current generations legendaries (or whatever Pokemon is starring in the latest movie *cough*Lucario and Zoroark*cough*), and that's it, while all the rest of the Pokemon are pushed to the side like they're nothing. While I understand that there are so many Pokemon that they can't get them all, but the thing is that they only market the most BASIC of Pokemon and pretend the rest don't even exist, to the point where 75% of all the Pokemon species each only make a SINGLE appearance in ONE episode, and then are never seen or mentioned again.

This is also the reason why the Pokemon in the anime rarely, if ever evolve, because they think it will ruin their marketing, though it kind of ruins the entire point of the franchise is to catch and evolve Pokemon.

For why they never seem to let anyone reach their goals, I heard somewhere that if Ash or any of his friends achieved their goals, the show would automatically end, hence why Ash always loses the leagues, tournaments, and all that. Well, let me ask you this: What lesson is that teaching the viewers? Not only are Ash's losses at tournaments showing a bad example to viewers who dream of succeeding in their future goals, but it also makes players of the Pokemon games look bad, all so they can make more money.

I can go on for hours about this subject...

Not really, because it was never good to begin with.

Exactly, and it's a rather poor advertisement for Pokemon merchandise at that too, the writers barely put any effort in the anime to make it creative, and instead, half-ass it and poorly stitch it together in order to sell the latest merchandise. Compare that to a franchise like Star Wars or Transformers, in which the writers and producers try their hardest to be creative with the franchises, and can do it successfully by telling a great story, while still being able to sell the merchandise for said franchises, the Pokemon anime just rushes everything to completion so they can sell merchandise.

I can go on for hours listing all the major and minor problems of the Pokemon anime, but this by far has to be one of the anime's BIGGEST problems is the marketing.

the list goes on.
Sadly, it's true, with a total of 649 different Pokemon, it would be hard to market them all at once, the main problem is that they only ever market, at most, 5-6 Pokemon 90% of the time, which are usually Pikachu, the base forms of the current generations starters (and never their evolutions unless their name is "Charizard"), and the current generations legendaries (or whatever Pokemon is starring in the latest movie *cough*Lucario and Zoroark*cough*), and that's it, while all the rest of the Pokemon are pushed to the side like they're nothing. While I understand that there are so many Pokemon that they can't get them all, but the thing is that they only market the most BASIC of Pokemon and pretend the rest don't even exist, to the point where 75% of all the Pokemon species each only make a SINGLE appearance in ONE episode, and then are never seen or mentioned again.

This is also the reason why the Pokemon in the anime rarely, if ever evolve, because they think it will ruin their marketing, though it kind of ruins the entire point of the franchise is to catch and evolve Pokemon.

For why they never seem to let anyone reach their goals, I heard somewhere that if Ash or any of his friends achieved their goals, the show would automatically end, hence why Ash always loses the leagues, tournaments, and all that. Well, let me ask you this: What lesson is that teaching the viewers? Not only are Ash's losses at tournaments showing a bad example to viewers who dream of succeeding in their future goals, but it also makes players of the Pokemon games look bad, all so they can make more money.

I can go on for hours about this subject...

So Ash's goal to become a "Pokemon Master" is NOTHING. If the Anime Directors continue doing this attitude of repeating the same stuff over and over, I might as well stop watching It. What's the point of watching If the damn thing will never move forward?

Ash starts a Journey > Travels around for 8 Badges > Pokemon League > Then lose > Go back to Pallet > Travel to a new Region > Collect 8 Gym Badges > Pokemon League > Then Lose > Go back to Pallet > CYCLE REPEATS!

They make so much money, yet, they are too lazy to develop a better storyline for Pokemon. They just constantly recycle the same thing.

(and never their evolutions unless their name is "Charizard")

lol what? We had an entire 3 quarters based on a Hikozaru-Moukazaru-Goukazaru storyline with 4 gym starrings and a rival storyline at the expense of another starter, Dodaitoise, who never got a win in its final form excluding the Rockets. The opinion that Charizard was the only final form to get attention is a wrong one in my opinion, and Jukain to a lesser degree says "Hi."

In my opinion marketing does affect the show. Goukazaru is a massive example of a Pokémon that dominates most of the saga to be marketed.

but it also makes players of the Pokemon games look bad, all so they can make more money.

You'll have to explain that one, I'm afraid. I don't quite follow how Ash's failure to win at tournaments reflects poorly upon actual flesh-and-blood players of the Pokemon games. Where do they come into it?

To answer the original question, yes, the anime has never exactly been noted for its artistic integrity.

Biggest example? Pikachu. And all those other cute Pokemon, like Jigglypuff and Pichu. They clog up the marketing, and so it drives away non-we who think Pokemon is just a kids' show.

I agree. Though I think comparing the Pokemon franchise to Star Wars' is a but unfair, since the latter is aimed mostly at older people. I'm not in the know to know if Transformers is toy merchandise marketing is "done right"; how about Yugioh as well? The 80's (and 90's) had a load of crappy shows to shove their wares in kids faces. XD

It would be nice if the Pokemon anime took more time to focus on a good story than formulaic episodes going on for years and years.

So Ash's goal to become a "Pokemon Master" is NOTHING. If the Anime Directors continue doing this attitude of repeating the same stuff over and over, I might as well stop watching It. What's the point of watching If the damn thing will never move forward?

Ash starts a Journey > Travels around for 8 Badges > Pokemon League > Then lose > Go back to Pallet > Travel to a new Region > Collect 8 Gym Badges > Pokemon League > Then Lose > Go back to Pallet > CYCLE REPEATS!

They make so much money, yet, they are too lazy to develop a better storyline for Pokemon. They just constantly recycle the same thing.

I'm not kidding, one of the actual producers of the Pokemon anime came out and said that if Ash succeed, it would automatically mean the end of the anime, don't ask me why, as even I have no idea where they got that logic at all.

I agree. Though I think comparing the Pokemon franchise to Star Wars' is a but unfair, since the latter is aimed mostly at older people. I'm not in the know to know if Transformers is toy merchandise marketing is "done right"; how about Yugioh as well? The 80's (and 90's) had a load of crappy shows to shove their wares in kids faces. XD

It would be nice if the Pokemon anime took more time to focus on a good story than formulaic episodes going on for years and years.

I agree with you, the writers are capable of writing great stories, they just don't put enough effort into them, and I do know of the infamous merchandise driven nature of 80's and 90's kids shows, and while that has phased out, or at least it's not as "in your face" as it used to be, it seems that the Pokemon anime still shares those "in your face" beliefs.

Though I have to admit, if you want marketing to work best, you got to make the product creative...

I'm not kidding, one of the actual producers of the Pokemon anime came out and said that if Ash succeed, it would automatically mean the end of the anime, don't ask me why, as even I have no idea where they got that logic at all.

I guess they are afraid to end the anime.
I would want another producer for Pokemon because the current one just sucks. And I think I should just read the Pokemon Mangas (If I ever find one) so I can stop watching the anime. I heard Its tons better than the anime.

I mean there are TONS of flaws with the current Anime and the producers have yet to address them. They just continue doing the same repetitive things over and over.

Not really, because it was never good to begin with.

I don't quite understand how that works. The writing for Pokemon has never been ground-breaking material, but I don't see how the quality of the writing means that the marketing couldn't have affected it.

Anyway, I do think that the marketing has affected the writing in the series. It clearly causes some Pokemon to get more attention than others depending on how marketable they are or prevent them from evolving because they're mascots. To be fair, this isn't uncommon for a toyetic series. I think that this happens with pretty much every merchandise-driven show in some format or another, so it isn't like Pokemon is the only one guilty of having the marketing affect how the writing of the show goes.

I was under the impression that the marketing was the driving force behind the anime, so... definitely.

I would want another producer for Pokemon because the current one just sucks. And I think I should just read the Pokemon Mangas (If I ever find one) so I can stop watching the anime. I heard Its tons better than the anime.

I mean there are TONS of flaws with the current Anime and the producers have yet to address them. They just continue doing the same repetitive things over and over.

Exactly, I mean, I know many ways they can improve the anime, but they just keep making the same mistakes in an endless cycle, and more importantly, I don't even thing they even notice what they are doing wrong.

I think if they tried different things, they could not only improve the series, but also market it better, the anime is pretty much in a dark age currently, and it's not doing anything to get out of the ditch it has dug itself into.

Exactly, I mean, I know many ways they can improve the anime, but they just keep making the same mistakes in an endless cycle, and more importantly, I don't even thing they even notice what they are doing wrong.

I think if they tried different things, they could not only improve the series, but also market it better, the anime is pretty much in a dark age currently, and it's not doing anything to get out of the ditch it has dug itself into.

At least they made Jessie, James, and Mewoth more serious. Gotta give them credit for that. But still isn't enough to improve the anime.

I've heard that Best Wishes (Or Black and White) have low ratings in Japan and USA?

If you guys are gonna turn this into a general "The anime is shit, let's say how bad it is!" thread then I'm locking it. Answer and discuss the orignal question or don't post at all.

So out of curiosity, are there any incidences where we actually have confirmation that the marketing department has had an effect on the show?

No. The Marketing Department doesn't affect the writing department.

The Marketing department is the writing department.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom