• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the New series is a continuation from the Sun & Moon series or a reboot from the main TV anime?

Do you think that the New series is a continuation or a reboot?

• Total voters

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm just wanting to know whether you think might be a continuation from the Sun & Moon series or a reboot from the main TV anime? Please let me know? Please let me know once you've voted, thanks.;)

Its a continuation.

A full reboot in this case is far, far to late, since it flushes 23 years of anime Ash, Team Rocket and their Pokemon down the toilet.
Not to mention it makes the Alola League win, and all the opportunities that open up with it, completely pointless and wasted potential.

A full reboot in this case is far, far to late, since it flushes 23 years of anime Ash, Team Rocket and their Pokemon down the toilet.
I don't think it is a reboot either, but I don't agree this is far, far too late for a reboot. It is NEVER late to change things, just like it wasn't too late to replace Gyms for Alola or just like it isn't too late to change the traditional journey formula in the animé, and such.

We have to wait for more information, because all we know is that he will be travelling around the world looking for Pokémon. "M20 Ash" is already doing that, but it wouldn't be strange if "Original Ash" does it after Alola. If when the trailers come Ash looks excited when visiting a place, M20 Ash would be sadly confirmed, but if he doesn't then we should assume he's the original.

I think he'll be the Original Ash, but at the cost that the series won't be as continuity-heavy as some fans are expecting.

Soft reboot with them cherry picking and choosing past events to bring up as they need to.

Between them going to all regions and partially promoting Masters, they're bound to bring up past events, though remember it differently from more studious fans.
Like how they got some things wrong with Clair in her BW appearances, or how Ash and Steven didn't know each other in XY (though there was little reason for them too anyway).
Please repeat to yourself "it's just a kids' show, I should really just relax", and just roll with it.

It's gotta be a continuation especially with the way Rica Matsumoto has been talking about it.

It's presumably just a continuation of the main anime, although unlike other people I don't expect that many references to old characters since the writers have proven that they don't care that much about continuity unless they have something major to promote like remakes. Having a saga with all the regions doesn't make me any less cynical about what to expect.

It's presumably just a continuation of the main anime, although unlike other people I don't expect that many references to old characters since the writers have proven that they don't care that much about continuity unless they have something major to promote like remakes. Having a saga with all the regions doesn't make me any less cynical about what to expect.
If it's confirmed to be a continuation, I'm fairly positive we will at least be seeing past travelling companions. Keep in mind there's no real precedent for Ash returning to previous regions, so the writer's previous actions don't mean much.

There are just two examples of Ash returning to Kanto (obviously not including series ends). Battle Frontier, where Misty was featured as a traveling companion for a few episodes until they reached Cerulean City, and of course SM, where Ash was immediately greeted by Brock and Misty after getting off the plane. So technically speaking, he's never returned to a region WITHOUT meeting old friends. In my eyes, it's nearly impossible for Ash to returning to a previous region without older characters being featured. There would be a Mamoswine-sized elephant in the room when Ash returns to region/towns he's already been to, but somehow magically forgets that he's been there before with past friends. He can't acknowledge that he's been to a region before without at least reminiscing a little bit.

Ash: Oh yeah, Sinnoh! That brings me back!
Gou: Really? What was your adventure in Sinnoh like?
Ash: ...I can't...remember.
Gou: ...

And if for whatever reason these previous companions don't travel with Ash in the new series (May seems unlikely to appear based on her VA), they will still be tributed by being featured for just a few episodes, or at the very least flashbacks.

Edit: Actually I've compared the new series to Battle Frontier in the past. A series that promotes some part of the franchise that isn't a "core game", but is still connected to the series that came before it. So on the topic of Misty returning in that series, it only made sense for her to appear for a few episodes because May was still there. However, now there is conveniently an open slot for a female companion, so I'd say the writing is on the wall.

Last edited:
I find it highly illogical that they would reboot right after Ash won his first league anyways.
I disagree. A reboot is needed to lower expectations that now Ash will win every single future league, which is not what the show is about. And let's say that they did want a reboot - would they make Ash lose right before it? That would be beyond cruel. Some would argue that the Alola League isn't a proper finale, but Ash is also likely to win against the equivalent of a Champion.

I don't think they'd introduce a co-star if all they wanted was to make Ash win some version of the World Tournament. Likewise, a reboot would remove any obligations to acknowledge the past in Kanto-Alola, allowing the writers to be eclectic with references as in Movie 20. Ash wouldn't need to act as glorified tour guide.

I disagree. A reboot is needed to lower expectations that now Ash will win every single future league, which is not what the show is about. And let's say that they did want a reboot - would they make Ash lose right before it? That would be beyond cruel.

I don't think they'd introduce a co-star if all they wanted was to make Ash win some version of the World Tournament. Likewise, a reboot would remove any obligations to acknowledge the past in Kanto-Alola, allowing the writers to be eclectic with references as in Movie 20. Ash wouldn't need to act as glorified tour guide.
Would a reboot really give them more freedom? If anything, they would just be locked into another badge quest for 20 years, but if they're going for longevity I suppose that works. In terms of writing freedom, they can do a lot more if they acknowledge that Ash has already been through every region and collected the badges. They could let him reenter leagues, or even tell stories unrelated to the league. Let's face it, if they take Ash's badges away, he's going to have to collect them again, and that would take too much time. Even M20 shows Ash collecting badges. They COULD create a time-skip/montage-heavy series that runs for 3 years, but I don't think the Origins style would suit a long form series. A reboot would also undermine the statements that Ash's story could continue after winning a league, as well as anger fans if he doesn't win the next one.

I don't believe the writers have ever felt that they didn't have freedom just because of the events that came before. They're more than happy to slide past events under the rug if it doesn't fit in the story they are trying to tell. So what could possibly compel them to reboot now? They've always just done whatever they want, and never let the existing canon get in the way of their creativity, plot-holes or not.

If anything, I'd like to see M20 Ash continue with the films. Have a sort of reboot for every region. I love M20, but I think it works best as a movie.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom