• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the New series is a continuation from the Sun & Moon series or a reboot from the main TV anime?

Do you think that the New series is a continuation or a reboot?

• Total voters
I disagree. A reboot is needed to lower expectations that now Ash will win every single future league, which is not what the show is about. And let's say that they did want a reboot - would they make Ash lose right before it? That would be beyond cruel. Some would argue that the Alola League isn't a proper finale, but Ash is also likely to win against the equivalent of a Champion.
Wrong, wrong and wrong. First of all, "lowering expectations" right after the internet exploded in praise of Ash's victory is a terrible idea and pretty much shooting oneself in the foot. The entire point of the Alola win would be rendered useless, it would have been better to not have him win at all if they were going to reboot. If anything, the Alola win acts as a springboard to take him one step closer to his penultimate goal (being a proper Champion).

I don't think they'd introduce a co-star if all they wanted was to make Ash win some version of the World Tournament. Likewise, a reboot would remove any obligations to acknowledge the past in Kanto-Alola, allowing the writers to be eclectic with references as in Movie 20. Ash wouldn't need to act as glorified tour guide.
Rebooting would pretty much render everything for the last 22 years redundant, even if they took a different path to his story, most of it will remain similar and hence bore people. It worked in the movies because they were a small snippet, "What if?" featurette. They didn't continue the AU version for M22 anyways.
Technically, all the female companions were co-stars though only Dawn and Serena actually felt like it because of the writing. Having a two-man party or a parallel storyline allows them to explore PoVs for both new viewers (Gou) or older ones (Ash) with each having a specific set. A reboot pretty much makes them both similar in a way and hence rendering it pointless. Also, a two-man party (if they travel together) means that older companions can factor into the third party slot, something a reboot doesn't allow. Nowhere does it say that Ash has to be a tour guide either.

Rebooting would pretty much render everything for the last 22 years redundant, even if they took a different path to his story, most of it will remain similar and hence bore people. It worked in the movies because they were a small snippet, "What if?" featurette. They didn't continue the AU version for M22 anyways.

I do wonder if they might go with ambiguous continuity that could be interpreted as a continuation of either Original Ash or M20 Ash (whose adventures ended up being conveniently almost the same as Original Ash's). Cherry picking from the past like Sammy mentioned.

Fingers crossed it's a continuation.

I want a proper reboot, with culmination of Ash's/Red's story in Kanto, not the same "multiple regions with the same main character" BS again.

Continuation from Sun & Moon series!

Soft reboot with them cherry picking and choosing past events to bring up as they need to.

Between them going to all regions and partially promoting Masters, they're bound to bring up past events, though remember it differently from more studious fans.
Like how they got some things wrong with Clair in her BW appearances, or how Ash and Steven didn't know each other in XY (though there was little reason for them too anyway).
Please repeat to yourself "it's just a kids' show, I should really just relax", and just roll with it.

It's NOT a reboot then, if they bring even a little thing from the past it's absolutely not a reboot, no "if", "soft" or whatever...

People were jumping on the "Ash is being written out" bandwagon despite no indication of that happening. Now that he's confirmed, there's those who insist the series is a reboot. Most of this whole thing is beginning to come across as some desperate Ash hate circlejerk if I'll be brutally honest here...

He ain't perfect, far from it, but I'll take him over most incarnations of everyone's favourite mute God-King-Emperor: Mr. Primary Colour.

Looks like a continuation to me, and rebooting would waste the storytelling opportunities from revisiting regions or dealing with Ash winning the Alola League.

Why does everyone assume every series is a reboot anyway?
As I recall, back when AG was announced there was a rumor flying around about it being one, too. That Ash would be starting anew in Littleroot Town and that Jessie and James would be members of Aqua/Magma (I think the rumor was one would be in each Team? Don't remember what if anything the theory said about Meowth). Of course there was a meta reason for that theory since there was no Gen 1/2 to Gen 3 transfer.

As I recall, back when AG was announced there was a rumor flying around about it being one, too. That Ash would be starting anew in Littleroot Town and that Jessie and James would be members of Aqua/Magma (I think the rumor was one would be in each Team? Don't remember what if anything the theory said about Meowth). Of course there was a meta reason for that theory since there was no Gen 1/2 to Gen 3 transfer.

I remember that rumor too, although I don't recall the part about Team Rocket being members of Team Aqua and Magma. I think that seeing a main cast without Misty threw fans off at the time. AG being the second series was also a factor considering fans weren't used to Ash getting a new outfit and new team at the start of every series like we are now. Still, in retrospect, that was a pretty weird conclusion to jump to.

As for this new series, I'm sure that it will be a continuation. I really don't see much of a point for a reboot, but especially so after the Alola League victory. If anything, it would make the victory more moot and potentially meaningless if they were just going to start over from scratch.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom