• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the Pokemon Anime is more of an ad for the games than an anime?

John Understands

Somalian Anarchy Leader!
Reaction score
What I mean is, do you think that the Pokemon Anime, as it is now, or earlier, more than mere advertising for the Pokemon Games more than an actual anime. Listen, I know that is what the anime is designed for, to make kids buy the games since 1998, but it was a bit uninteresting during DP and it seemed more like advertsing than an actual anime? In BW, that was upped a bit, but do you think this?

I think this may get closed...

Really? I thought DP was where it started to become more than advertisement. As a whole, though, that would require me defining what an anime is to me, and I don't really have a set of requirements to that regard. For the most part, the anime has been little more than a vehicle to loosely mirror the games and show off pokemon. It has it's moments, but you may have to sift through a lot of blandness to find it.

that WAS it's original intention. while it has briefly veered away with the orange islands, it generally sticks to the games and GF's desires intentionally. Why do you think ash couldn't just pwn kids with his charizard in the johto/other reigons? because they want to advertise the pokemon of a new generation.

for those reasons, i do believe that they are.

If they were an advertisement, why don't they include the actual game characters? Where's Brendan? Where's Lucas? Where's Hilbert and Hilda?

WHERE'S TEAM PLASMA AND N????

In my opinion, the anime was always an advertisement for the games. It's just that certain seasons are better at disguising it, and therefore have better attempts at overaching plots.

Of course, I think that was the basic and intial plot of the creation of the Anime.

Naturally, the introduction of some game characters (Lyra), scanning Pokemon a bit too many times (my cousin remembers every Pokemon that appeared in the OS, and what they did and their description- sort of creepy, but true), showing what Pokemon battles are like and how fun they are (also how serious and emotional they are too- it's not all a walk in the park, kids), showing off different objects (Seven feathers- though it may help if they demostrated it, no?) and several other things.
However, as others said, some series are/were better at making it less obvious. Then again, some are better at subtleness, such as a BW Preview had Iris say at the every end, something about to remember or be sure to play Pokemon. Some may have subminimal messaging, however I'm not too sure if there is anything.

It is an advertisement but that's not to say that it can't be good. Anime like Gundam were made to advertise model robots and look at how great the show is. It has quality. But I guess the writers and producers for the Pokemon Anime go with quantity rather than quality most of the time. I'm not expecting anything spectacular (though that would help a lot) but still...

Do you think that the Pokemon Anime is more of an ad for the games than an anime?

Well duh! If this wasn't the case then Ash would have won a league by now. But they are catering to whenever a new game comes out. Do you realize that if Black and White didn't come out, that we would be stuck in a Sinnoh Frontier special or a Hoenn remake of some sort? It's called advertisement. If the kids play the games, then they hope to see some of the things from the game on the anime.

Well of course, it's a common thing for some video game-based media, but Pokemon takes it up to eleven. The only Pokemon-related thing they haven't advertised in the anime yet is the Smash Bros. games, which I really wish they should do so I can see a few Nintendo icons making special crossover appearances.

It's the most ironic ad for something EVER. It's supposed to advertise the GAMES. Yet the fact that it strays away from them so much is beyond stupid.

Well duh! If this wasn't the case then Ash would have won a league by now. But they are catering to whenever a new game comes out. Do you realize that if Black and White didn't come out, that we would be stuck in a Sinnoh Frontier special or a Hoenn remake of some sort? It's called advertisement. If the kids play the games, then they hope to see some of the things from the game on the anime.

This isn't the shipping thread, you know.

Anyways, yeah, even though the anime is supposed to advertise and promote the games, but keeping Ash is unnesscary. Tobias was just a thing pulled into the writers just so Ash can lose and make his journey continue on. It's about time they just either let him go and replace him with someone else.

This isn't the shipping thread, you know.

Anyways, yeah, even though the anime is supposed to advertise and promote the games, but keeping Ash is unnesscary. Tobias was just a thing pulled into the writers just so Ash can lose and make his journey continue on. It's about time they just either let him go and replace him with someone else.

I didn't mention anything about shipping. It's about Pokemon and other technicalities that goes on.

Do I think the sky is blue?

Yes. The anime mainly serves as an advertisement for the games. Hence why y'know, all series after the original have been named after the games in some way (Advanced Generation = Gameboy Advance - the console the third gen games were on, Diamond and Pearl, Best Wishes having the same acronym as Black and White and the name being a pun on Isshu).

Not to mention the Johto trainer mini-arc that aired in Japan around the HeartGold/SoulSilver release period, the Ranger specials that coincide with the Ranger game releases, the Japanese Battle Frontier opening adopting a brief scene to advertise the first Mystery Dungeon games, etc.

well,at first this anime was advertisement to the games,and it was planned to run about a year and half,and I think they were going to release a new anime as gold and silver come out with whole new characters,but the anime became very popular and some how Pikachu became the main character and the mascot of the whole franchise,that made them now unable to stop the anime or replace the characters.

up till now the anime's main concept is to show us a new pokemon in each episode,hence its an advertisement ,thats why we have a BUNCH of stupid episodes and movies that have no story at all,just to show us the pokemon from the games,but still this is not an excuse in my opinion to give us this shitty anime.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom