• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the removal of Gyms is permanent?

Do you think that Gyms are gone forever?

• Yes, it's time to do something different.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, GameFreak won't make a change that drastic.

Votes: 47 79.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah right, well then it completely proves that there aren't going to be just four. However, it could be that you only battle eight of them? So they would still sort of be the gyms of this region and you do other quests too. This change really is just for the better, going back to just gyms after this would be such a let-down.
You could battle 8 of your choice and they'll be like Gym Leaders.

We got a taste of change, don't let us experience such wonderful flavors and then take it away next time.

You could battle 8 of your choice and they'll be like Gym Leaders.

We got a taste of change, don't let us experience such wonderful flavors and then take it away next time.
Probably sticks around for the next Alola games. However, I don't want it in future regions.

I was always wondering when we would find out who the gym leaders are? But in my honest opinion, the dumping of gyms would really spice things up and make it less predictable. While some people might be offended by this, I will be looking forward to this unpredictability, and who knows, it may work.

I'm pretty much a disciple of Lockstin at this point so I firmly believe in the reset / reboot theory.

I fully expect gyms to return alongside whatever form the franchise takes on NX.

It's difficult to say for now. We'd have to wait a pretty long time to know, and even then, they could change their mind. I believe that the ultimate point IS that the change was made. They can go back and forth at will. It may at some point return, but it will never have to stay that way ever again. There is plenty of exploration that can be done in this manner, though, and I would like to see where this goes before we can return, if we ever do.

There is a fundamental part; however, that makes it impossible to return exactly as it was. I see the deeper picture here, that the Z Crystals have effectively replaced badges. One can have the argument they can coexist, but I feel that they overshadow what importance the badges originally had, which was very minimal at best. I still have the theory that the only important function they served, that being a progress gate, has been made null and void by the Ride pokemon. (who knows if that will return, though. It's something the fans have wanted for ages, so like Megas, I think they're staying) The only way badges are returning is as a mere formality, which is what I've always felt they were. As for the gyms themselves, though, they can still exist, only now they'll have to be saddled to the Z Crystals as well.

I'm unsure about the final aspect of Gyms, which they are a stand-in for what would be dungeons in other RPGs. Then again, I don't know if the trials are going to have a puzzle aspect to any of them. (if there is, it won't be that hard since they've progressively gimped that straight to the Inferno) Instead, they each have you doing a different task. It's an interesting reinterpretation of the idea of there being something else you have to do other than battling. A lot want them to be more complicated, but I just find it annoying when you have to run around in circles when you mess up. I'm sure battles will still be there, we just haven't seen them. This could open the path to proper elemental themed dungeons, but I wouldn't bank on it too soon. I like the idea they've come up with and makes it feel like I'm more personally involved.

So I think gyms can return, but not in the way we remember them. Such has already happened, though, and is to be expected. One thing is for certain, though, the spirit of the gyms lives on. Whether they return or not doesn't really matter. We will always have something that performs their function one way or the other.

Any future remakes will retain their normal Gym systems.

As for new generation games, they obviously won't use the "Island Challenge" as that is specific to Alola, but I would like to think that they would continue to look for new ways to tinker with the structure.
yeah i think it will be something along this lines, also i can see in the future games the gym quest being a post game

i'm happy they removed gyms actually. Even if the trial captains are a "reboot" of the gym leader concept, i think this bring new air for the franchise
I subscribe to the theory that Pokemon will undergo a reboot in the next five years, be it large or small, and the Trial Captains are the beta, a pacifier for the fandom.

It's been 20 years and with the addition of so many old and new fans through PokemonGo, mixing up the formula can only help.
you said everything. it seems the trial captains have been implemented to afford familiarity with gym leaders to players, and make easier future changes that may occur in the next games, as drastic changes out of nothing is too risky

Last edited:
Um, any source saying Gyms are gone?
It is pretty clear that the gyms are replaced by the Island Trials for Sun and Moon. Why else have we got news only for trials and not gyms? If there were gyms then we would have heard about it by now.

It is pretty clear that the gyms are replaced by the Island Trials for Sun and Moon. Why else have we got news only for trials and not gyms? If there were gyms then we would have heard about it by now.
Maybe because they are promoting the new stuff? I mean the gyms are a staple of the series so anyone would guess that the gyms are still there. They are not even promoting Mega Evolution anymore even though it was a big part of Generation VI and now part of the metagame which would be hard to scrap Mega Evolutions. Double Battles have been in every game since Generation III but Ruby and Sapphire were the only ones promoting it. In fact, how much were Gym battles advertised in past Pokémon games? Not much. The only reason we think they are gone is because the Island Trials remind us of the Orange League and it's stated to be a requirement to become Champion. That doesn't mean gyms are gone. If they removed gyms and badges altogether, it wouldn't feel that much like a mainstream Pokémon game.

Maybe because they are promoting the new stuff? I mean the gyms are a staple of the series so anyone would guess that the gyms are still there. They are not even promoting Mega Evolution anymore even though it was a big part of Generation VI and now part of the metagame which would be hard to scrap Mega Evolutions. Double Battles have been in every game since Generation III but Ruby and Sapphire were the only ones promoting it. In fact, how much were Gym battles advertised in past Pokémon games? Not much. The only reason we think they are gone is because the Island Trials remind us of the Orange League and it's stated to be a requirement to become Champion. That doesn't mean gyms are gone. If they removed gyms and badges altogether, it wouldn't feel that much like a mainstream Pokémon game.
There are similarities between the gyms and trials. Both have leaders that we would face. The difference is that we are not restricted to a building for sun and moon.

Just because there are similarities doesn't necessarily mean that gyms are getting replaced. I think gyms and Island Trials could co-exist.

Just because there are similarities doesn't necessarily mean that gyms are getting replaced. I think gyms and Island Trials could co-exist.
Perhaps. They could appear post game but I do think we have just trials instead of gyms.

I've gotta say this. The Aspertia Gym wasn't restricted to a building. It isn't exactly correct to say that they were a solely indoors thing.

What we call it makes no difference. It is what it is. We cannot define it.

I think they are going to remove gyms now and then in games. I doubt removing them permanently. I think they are just trying to change things up a bit, and see what kind of reaction they will get out of us.
I think they are trying to give variety in games, so that way people can't say they are all the same game that just has different monsters and a different map.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom