• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think there could be a region where there are both - mega stones and Z-moves?

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
gen 6 and 7 introduced good mechanics, mechanics that should be used.
Gen 8 would be a good way to introduce a "few new ones of this and that"(from past generations) and not focus on them too much but rather on the rivalry of trainers that use them. Which is better?
There could be 3 sides of the conflict:

- mega stone users
-Z-move users
- and trainers that dont use them and focus more on regular moves and abilities for strategy to beat both mentioned above.

Interesting would be to see this in the gen 8 game and anime how they use what already was created (+new pokemon, some new megas(Johto, Hoen starters) , z-moves , abilities(form changes) and moves to reound it up).
Would think that there could be a very old , very cold region or maybe a very hot and dry region, where both mechanics co-existed since ages.
(Z-moves could come from Alola there, mnegas from kalos and hoen, this way pokes from this regions could shine more too then only Kanto)

I still think that there will be a region where we will find the Alolan starters mega stones, we have 5 more regions to go

Last edited:
It's very unlikely imo. Judging from Gen VI and VII, Gamefreak seems to like promoting new mechanics over old ones. Chances are, Mega Evolution and Z-Moves will only get a passing mention and limited to postgame in Gen 8, while whatever new mechanic takes the spotlight.

In terms of introducing new ones, no. It's too much to manage by itself, and I expect they're going to introduce some other mechanic in the next game because they've become so obsessed with region exclusive features. Until they break from that mindset that every new game needs a shiny new gimmick we're probably going to see them introduce features like Megas and Z-moves and then drop them after a game or two.

I believe Mega Evolutions will possibly make a big return (please make a big comeback with new Megas in the next game), but I think Z-moves are a one generation, Alola-exclusive thing. It relies too much on Tapu and Alolan trial lore.

I hope no new mechanic take the spotlight in gen 8, rather would to see them create new to what we already have.

Z-moves dont need tapus only, other similar mytical pokemon could also be somewhere else.

Seeing that we got megas in gen VII too i think that rather they wont throw it away, but wait for best moment to add new ones.

Megas added stats, type and ability,
Z-moves boostet effect and power of moves,
whats left to do as a gimmick/mechanic?

I think now after 6 and 7 gen, we could get 8,9,10,11,12 with new ones of these 2 we already have and it would be enough in my opinon.

For me personally would be great if they would buff and make order with old moves and abilities like Teleport(detect+increased priority for the next turn but worser % than Protect), Iluminate, Telepathy, Anticipation(should work like Disquise against that move)

There could be new pokes with new abilities with form changes
depending on:
-getting trapped by oponent,
-flinched by oponent, (something other then inner focus)
-dranined own and draning oponets hp(+ gaining type)
-transformation during the pokemons sleep status only with reverting back if awake.
- transformation during paralyze,burn, poison, frozen status and negating it, maybe with type change

Last edited:
Hopefully not. I think it would be too much and like another said, the Z-moves are pretty heavily connected to Alola lore, so them playing a big part would be strange. Likewise with mega evolution. The two games it was big in, it was heavily connected to lore in those games. And it would just take too much from the possible lore of the newer games.

As much as I would like that to happen, I don't think it will be the case, not in the near future at least. GF seems to have taken a liking to introducing new mechanics every new generation, and keep the previous ones hidden behind the curtain till the post game. Unless they decide to do away with this trend, expecting Z-Moves and Mega Evolution to get equal (and primary) focus in the upcoming generations seems kinda far off.

- mega stone users
-Z-move users
- and trainers that dont use them and focus more on regular moves and abilities for strategy to beat both mentioned above.
Don't we already have this? Big names in the Battle Tree use Megas and Z-Moves.
Z-moves dont need tapus only, other similar mytical pokemon could also be somewhere else.
Z-Moves are hugely intertwined with Alola, beyond just the appearance of the Tapu. There's the trials, the poses associated with the crystals, the legends tied to Solgaleo and Lunala, and even the Ultra Wormholes. It'd be too much to copy+paste into another region.
For me personally would be great if they would buff and make order with old moves and abilities like Teleport(detect+increased priority for the next turn but worser % than Protect), Iluminate, Telepathy, Anticipation(should work like Disquise against that move)

There could be new pokes with new abilities with form changes
This really isn't relevant to the subject of Z-Moves and Megas, and you've brought up all of these ideas before. Why not just continue to discuss them on the threads more relevant to them, rather than shoehorning them elsewhere?

Which is why I pointed out they were connected to the lore. But if they keep on reusing stuff then the lore becomes unoriginal instead of possible new interesting lore.
in many countries the same lore can be showed in a interesting new way.
The same mechanic , other pokemon , other abilities, other moves , other effects.

new Traps, maybe new entry hazards(ghost,fairy,psychic), new megas , new z-moves, new form changes(when sleep , when trapped , when flinched) and better new switching moves(fairy,psychic, ghost) and abilities (buff Golisopods ability a little), new abilities, new sound moves(fight, ghost,psychic), new dance moves, new immunity abilities(similar to bulletproof, soundproof- "bite,blade,sword, saber,hammers"; "ground, earth, mud, sand, rock, stone" ; "punch, kick, palm"), new prioritie moves, buffing old moves and abilities that need it the most? Use old and new good abilities on "new and old" pokemon.
New relations between terrains , weathers and moves.
Maybe new terrains?(swampy terrain -bug??? desert sandy terrain-ground??? icy terrain)

Better invest time into this that over thinking it, becuse people need also time to addapt and get a like to new stuff. Plus its a game, why take away toys that you did give us in the past?
Better think of making it all really good that fans like it even more.
(not that charizard fans get better feelings then fans of venusaur and blastoise and other starters)

if winter tale then better many new interesting ice types, ice/ghost snowman, ice/ghost moose, ice/bug, ice/poison purpicuine and ice/flying owl, Delibird with Magic Bounce instead of Vital Spirit

Last edited:
Realistically, Z-Move Crystals should only be a Alola thing considering they're a big part of the culture and seem to have been hinted as existing because necrozma showed up there. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to see them in other regions. Just having an important NPC hand them out once you beat them in battle post game or something would be what I'd expect to see. Honestly it would feel awkward to go to a new region that's vastly different from Alola and find the "basically Z-Crystals but they're totally different and unique to this region! *wink wink, nudge nudge* Original Concept. donut steel!" Lore-wise it just seems weird for another region to have basically the same thing.

Mega Stones, on the other hand, are something that could realistically be found in any region. I mean, they come from AZ shooting his mega awesome death cannon into space practically so there's no reason the rest of the pokemon world didn't have Mega Stones develop as fallout from that energy getting sprinkled on the planet like one disperses febreze air refreshment spray. In fact one could even say it'd make sense for new mega stones to show up in other regions as the energy that created them was subject to different elements and things as they made their way down to the surface.

Sorry if this post seems kinda rambled its 10 am I've gotten barely 3 hours of sleep and the tylenol PM i took has started to kick in. Off to sleep for me! Insomnia's fun kids~

I'm getting the feeling that they'll add a gimmick for Gen VIII (oh god I hope not) and they'll push Megas and Z-moves aside without adding anymore new ones.

I don't want there to be any more gimmicks. It's overcomplicating the battle system. Megas and Z Moves are enough for me.

hope they focus on changinng and buffing not usefull moves and abilities, creating new ones , use switching, flinching, trapping more and make the best of what they did create through out 7 generations till now.

I appreciate what Mega Evolution did in terms of altering the status-quo and introducing many new strategies to play around with, and I love what Z-Moves did to offer inclusion for virtually any Pokemon and play style. What I don't like are features that are introduced in one release and completely removed from the next. They've been doing it for ages with in-game mechanics, but the last two generations have seen monumental shifts in the battle mechanic. I'd like to see these newer features fleshed out just a BIT more before we get something new. They include new Pokemon, abilities, and moves in every new generation, I can't see why along with 70 or so new Pokemon they can't add 5 Mega Evolutions and perhaps 6 or 7 new Z-Moves.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom