• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think there should be platonic pairing names separate to the ship name?

Likeitornot.

realisation
Retired Staff
Reaction score
Apologies for the long title; I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Over the years, shipping has seen some transformation from what is considered to be just romantic, to also include platonic pairings - an idea I personally quite like. In some fandoms, to distinguish between people who interpret the character's relationships romantically - traditionally considered those who "ship" them romantically - and those who see the relationship platonically but would like to see focus on the platonic relationship, the pairing would have different names based on the ship. Usually in fandoms it's actually with pairings that involve characters who are siblings, or where one is an adult and the other minor, or some other types of relationship, as some people due to that kind of relationship are not comfortable with seeing them romantically, but do have an interest in looking at their platonic relationship (such as myself).

Some people ship them, so for the two to have separate spaces, two different names are coined (for example, in the Osomatsu-san fandom, pairings that are the two characters' names spliced together are romantic names, whereas names like choukeimatsu are the platonic names. Though there can be confusion, some people use them interchangeably but generally, people prefer them to be separate).

There are also pairings outside of the kinds of relationships I mentioned above that people like/prefer platonic interpretations.

However, in the pokemon fandom, if people prefer the platonic interpretation, normally they put "platonic" before the shipping name. Should we have two separate names, though in the western fandom (as in the Japanese fandom, the shipping names are just the characters' names spliced together)? Should we just leave people to use the ship name and indicate it is platonic? Has there been any moves to distinguish the two? What do you all think?

Let's be honest, ship naming in the Pokemon fandom is such a hot mess that you could argue it either way and it would make very little difference.

We literally have ships involving items and body parts and characters\monsters that are fictional in-universe
#0_________________0CupShipping - Anabel & Iron
1SignificantFigureShipping - Roark & Protein
20YearsAndStill10Shipping - Ash & a calendar
3DSxLShipping - Malva & The Limited Edition Pikachu 3DSxL
3RolesShipping - Brycen, Brycen-Man & Mecha Cop
404ErrorShipping - Porygon & F-00
7-11Shipping - Malva & A Pokemon Center
KetchupShipping (Ash's Pikachu x Ketchup)

We even started shipping cities!
MasaTokiShipping - Pallet Town & Viridian City
AwfulMusicShipper - Violet City & Olivine City

We should start shipping regions! Maybe les\bi\pan\aroace icons Sinnoh and Alola!

Anyways, yeah, having the same name for platonic and romantic is'nt the worst thing.

We literally have ships involving items and body parts and characters\monsters that are fictional in-universe
#0_________________0CupShipping - Anabel & Iron
1SignificantFigureShipping - Roark & Protein
20YearsAndStill10Shipping - Ash & a calendar
3DSxLShipping - Malva & The Limited Edition Pikachu 3DSxL
3RolesShipping - Brycen, Brycen-Man & Mecha Cop
404ErrorShipping - Porygon & F-00
7-11Shipping - Malva & A Pokemon Center
KetchupShipping (Ash's Pikachu x Ketchup)

We even started shipping cities!
MasaTokiShipping - Pallet Town & Viridian City
AwfulMusicShipper - Violet City & Olivine City

We should start shipping regions! Maybe les\bi\pan\aroace icons Sinnoh and Alola!

Anyways, yeah, having the same name for platonic and romantic is'nt the worst thing.
Some of those ships look really interesting especially the cities and I would like to know the justification behind those ships!

I think they're about gen 2 era so just kids being kids I guess. I know that there were a few nerds who got into Pokémon as teens or even adults in 1996-1999 just because they were nerds and it was the nerdy thing, but most of Bulbagarden seems to have been in elementary school when gen 1 was released, and those ships are just the kind of thing that elementary schoolers would do.

MasaToki - they're the two first towns
AwfulMusic - someone thought they had awful music

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom