• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think we will ever get an anime as good as Diamond and Pearl again?

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
DP_main_EN.jpg

Everything about it was perfect
Perfect OST (season 1-13 was used)
Perfect League
Perfect Rival
Perfect Team (Ash actually had a well-balanced, and evolved team)
Perfect Team Duo (Dawn, Ash and Brock)

Probably not.

Even then it has some big flaws.
Heck, the good parts were sprinkled throughout the saga like bits of the Hershy's chocolate, but the bad parts were in every damn episode... :sick:

Interesting. Well I do like Diamond and Pearl, it it my favorite saga (former one being the Advanced Generation), but I always tried and for the most part and managed to find at least one thing about each saga that I can enjoy, even Black and White which is my personal least favorite saga by far (I have to admit to liking some of its fillers). Many may say the original series is the best, others may XY, and some may even say Black and White despite its somewhat infamous rep, but in the end it's all very subjective what everyone's taste is. You never know, maybe Sword & Shield will end up being praised as greatly as Diamond and Pearl. Tomorrow can be a promising day.:)

Last edited:
We got one better: XY/Z

It's just sandwiched between two utter slogs of a series and nobody remembers it

Plus, a lot of people hate it for something they should've known was coming (Ash losing the League). Sometimes I even wonder if they rage-quit before the Team Flare attack and missed the rest of the series :cry:

It's just sandwiched between two utter slogs of a series and nobody remembers it

That's a pretty strange claim about XY. From what I can tell from this site and other places I've seen people discuss the anime, XY is far from forgotten, so I don't know why you think that is the case. If anything, coming after BW probably helped to give more attention to XY since people were praising it right out of the gate.

As for XY being better than DP, I think that's more debatable. It does have a lot of good points and I can see why people would consider it their favorite Pokemon series. I just think it had too many flaws that brought it down for me and felt a bit overhyped as a result. DP certainly isn't perfect either, but I think it is a more solid series than XY is by comparison.

Plus, a lot of people hate it for something they should've known was coming (Ash losing the League). Sometimes I even wonder if they rage-quit before the Team Flare attack and missed the rest of the series :cry:

To be fair, I don't think that people were unjustified in being upset that Ash loss. Yeah, Ash losing the League is pretty much expected, but there were more solid signs pointing to Ash winning than there had been with previous Leagues. Even the episode previews didn't spoil the outcome of Ash vs. Alain if I recall correctly. Plus, I don't think that was the only source of hatred towards XY. While I do think that the initial backlash was a bit too intense, I can't blame people for getting upset and I don't think it's entirely fair to say that they should have seen it coming. Some people probably did rage quit the series, but it's hard to say how many obviously. Despite how so many people hated the way the Kalos League ended, I remember people being excited about the Team Flare arc about two weeks or so later. I don't think that the Kalos League had a huge negative impact on how fans saw XY, especially when it's still pretty popular/well received from what I can see online.

As for the question itself, it's possible. DP was a really great series, but it wasn't perfect in every area. I clearly remember people being annoyed at Piplup, although I don't think it's as annoying rewatching the series compared to when it was airing. A lot of people hated the year gap between Ash's seventh and eighth badge, even though I never quite understood that issue either. A lot of important development happened during that year gap. There were a few filler episodes, but not enough to drastically reduce it. I do think a big reason why DP worked so well was because it lasted four years. That gave them a lot of time to work with, but given how the past few generations have lasted, I'm pretty sure each series is going to last for only three years now. They can still make a three year long series work. XY was much better paced compared to BW. It really depends on what future games offer with their characters and storylines, as well as what the anime staff decides to do with those concepts/characters for the anime.

Diamond and Pearl and XY were the two best series in my opinion, Diamond and Pearl for some of the great storylines and characters, not to mention the battles and XY for the animation among others

Hahaha
No.
Nothing ever will top DP!
Pretty ironic the game with the most boring story(*until the XY games) ended up having the best anime, while the two generations with the best stories had such abominations of a series! Probably easy to guess what they are, everyone's favorite green haired supervillain appears in them

They can't even get rivalries right anymore, everybody has to be Ash's friend within their introduction episode :/
And team focus is hardly balanced at all. It was ridiculously unbalanced in the starter's favor in BW, and even then it wasn't great for them either. Noivern was flat out ignored and not allowed any big wins or even a gym! Torracat wasn't allowed to fight in any Grand Trials or get a big win either! Poipole literally did nothing.... Meltan's doing better than both and he was only caught 15 episodes ago, quite sad. Sure Torterra may have gotten pushed to the side a bit near the end of DP, but he had pretty fair amount of focus beforehand.

DP's success relied on something simple: Characterization. It took the AG formula that worked well and improved it by making things more personal to the characters so they actually mean something. It wasn't about rivalries, gym battles, contest, proud/rebellious Pokemon, etc. for the sake of it, we got to see the impact of each of those things on the characters (and their Pokemon) and how they changed their battle style according to that, so even the most simple battles had a meaning and became better. The writers also had ambition about to what extent should the characters be pushed, so there was very effective character development. Not every part of the series was like that (looking at you, HGSS arc and Team Galactic Arc), but what we got was great.

I think that approach of characterization and ambition can be applied to many series. In fact, most of the most popular animated and live-action series have it. And I think it can be done in Pokemon even with 3-year series (actually my favorite DP moments come mostly from the first 2 years) and yearly game releases they have to promote, as shown by many examples from XY and SM. XY's problem was that in the beginning it didn't focus on anyone, then in the middle it was about Serena and in XYZ was about Ash and Bonnie so it wasn't consistent; and in SM the problem is the lack of focus, battles and key moments for each character.

OT: No, I don't think we'll ever get another saga that was as consistent as DP, but I'm not too sad about that. I don't think future sagas should try to be too much like past ones, and the only concepts from DP that I'd want to see used again in a future saga are Contests and possibly the Champion's League that was mentioned back then.

Everything about it was perfect
Perfect OST (season 1-13 was used)
Perfect League
Perfect Rival
Perfect Team (Ash actually had a well-balanced, and evolved team)
Perfect Team Duo (Dawn, Ash and Brock)
All 100% subjective. If you ask me, the better question to ask would be if there will ever be another saga that a majority of the PokeAni fans like/love. Which is hard to say. Every saga since DP has been divisive in some way or another. But nothing is impossible.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom