• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Do you think we'll be getting any old characters from previous games as cameos in Sword and Shield? If so, who would you want to return?

I'd like to see Misty appear as part of her journey.
While not a character, I'd like to see the return of S.S. Anne...how come a cruiser that circles the globe has not yet return to any game!?
Also, don't bring back Prof. Oak or any of his cousins! He stole Elm's spotlight and in some way Rowan's (my two favorite Profs.) and I don't want that to happen again.

Elm had a spotlight? Specially seeing how Elm was a last minute addition to GS.
Perhaps because of that he also didn't get a sptolight, but the inclusion/keeping of Oak wasn't good and only helped to diminish his role.

Perhaps because of that he also didn't get a sptolight, but the inclusion/keeping of Oak wasn't good and only helped to diminish his role.
Erm, Oak (along with Blue) was the one that originally gave you your starter in GSC. So, no, it only looks that way because Elm was rushed.

EDIT: Also, they did reduce Oak's role in the story, since there was something about him going missing and an impostor Oak sprite was found in the Spaceworld demo.

Last edited:
Well, the Hoenn games are tied with the Kanto games as the earliest games in the series, so what you're saying is more likely than you think.
It certainly does make sense because he's one of the few champions that actually stepped down from being the champion to do other stuff. His PWT introduction mentions him as the heir of the Devon Corporation (which also has a history of developing natural resources and minerals), so it's highly likely he'd become the next president. Add to that, he had shown interest in mining emeralds in Driftveil City, which coincidentally has a large mining business led by Clay.

With the large underground mining tunnels shown in the trailers of SWSH, it just seems like the perfect opportunity to bring back Steven as the Devon President on a business trip to learn more about the Galar mining business and the resources. Devon President Steven pls make it happen Game Freak :D

With a Gen 4 Remake as a possibility for next year, I can already see Cynthia making a return in Sword and Shield. Perhaps reveal of where her house is located, which would tie in to what she said in Platinum.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty tired of seeing the same characters as cameos in different games. Steven and Cynthia are cool, I love them, and I totally understand why they get to appear so often, but I'd honestly like to see anyone else but them. Same goes for Professor Oak and his Alolan form, too. Cameos are always fun to have in games, but in my opinion, having the same character appear again and again makes their appearances feel a bit less special everytime it happens. I'm honestly expecting one of the three to make it in SWSH again. I won't be disappointed if they do, but I'll probably be all like "well here they are again, that's cool" and just move on.

On the other hand, seeing characters like Caitlin in BW/BW2, Grimsley in SM/USUM and Mina in LGPE were kind of neat, because I never expected to see them ever again after their debut games came out. They all also got nice redesigns too, which I thought was really cool! I hope we get more appearances like these.

As far as characters I'd like to see:

-Literally anyone from Kalos because they all got screwed over in X and Y, and I think at least one of them deserves some spotlight for once. Wikstrom in particular, because he's a knight and he's cool.
-Any Sinnoh character that hasn't been seen since Platinum (aside from the PWT and the Masters trailer), because it's been over a decade since we've seen any of them in a main series game.
-Johto characters too, for the same reasons as above.

Last edited:
-Johto characters too, for the same reasons as above.
I think this is what made Jasmine's cameo in the Sinnoh games interesting: nobody expected her. Another character that you could add to the list is Juan, who aside from the PWT, has only appeared in Emerald. I think he's technically mentioned in RS and ORAS, but I'm not sure.

I think this is what made Jasmine's cameo in the Sinnoh games interesting: nobody expected her. Another character that you could add to the list is Juan, who aside from the PWT, has only appeared in Emerald. I think he's technically mentioned in RS and ORAS, but I'm not sure.
Jasmine's cameo was a foreshadow to HGSS.

I'm hoping with Gen 4 having a remake, we could at least have Cynthia make a cameo rather than just a battle rival, as seen in Sun and Moon.

I know that. It was still unexpected to see her, though.
Well there aren't much for Johto characters tbh, apart from Lance, only he's in Gen 1 as well. Gen 2 was just an extension of Gen 1, with the original plan being of Gen 2 to be all of Japan, including Kyushu (Gen 3) and Hokkaido (Gen 4).

You know how Cynthia visited Undella Town (i think) in the Gen 5 games as some kind of summer resort? I hope Diantha can do the same thing here in the games as a sort of side boss/side character/side quest sort of gig. I think France and London are pretty cohesive in real life, and I would hope this is reflected in the games between Kalos and Galar as well. It's also a good way to obtain the Gardevoirite If they intend to bring back Megas, but here's to hoping

You know how Cynthia visited Undella Town (i think) in the Gen 5 games as some kind of summer resort? I hope Diantha can do the same thing here in the games as a sort of side boss/side character/side quest sort of gig. I think France and London are pretty cohesive in real life, and I would hope this is reflected in the games between Kalos and Galar as well. It's also a good way to obtain the Gardevoirite If they intend to bring back Megas, but here's to hoping
Cynthia said that the summer resort was a friend's house if I recall correctly. She did mention that she has a house in a different Region. Unless this was to reference Unova like Gardenia referenced Rotom's Forms with the Grass-Type Ghost Pokemon. I'm hoping that her house would finally be revealed in Galar.

Also doubt Diantha would appear because of Mega Gardevoir.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom