• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think X/Y and OR/AS could have been marketed any better pre-release?

Blazing Charmander

The Stray Veteran Pokemon
Reaction score
In the time between their announcement and launch, both sets of Gen VI games to date received rather, ahem, generous coverage in CoroCoro and on the official Pokemon website. After a dry news spell between Feb 2013 and May 2013 for X/Y news, we then received wave after wave of information until the games' release in the October. In the case of X and Y, the majority of new Pokemon and main characters, along with various new gameplay mechanics, had been revealed before players had an opportunity to discover them by themselves. Then Omega Ruby and Sapphire were announced. A quiet May following their unveiling passed by, but after that we were swamped with new Mega Evolutions to the extent that we had absolutely none to find for ourselves upon the games' launch, and even the main structure of the post-game Delta Episode was detailed. It would have at least been nice to discover that Deoxys was catchable through physically playing the game on our own.

You can probably tell i'm not a big fan of how much information was thrown out into the open prior to these games' launches. I understand and appreciate Game Freak wanting to escalate the hype levels of fans for their products, but at the same time I recall that older games had many features unspoiled in the media pre-release so that us players could find things out by ourselves. This is definitely something i'd like to see tightened up on when the time comes for the next games to be marketed. D/P had a deluge of unrevealed cross-gen evolutions to discover, for example.

Did anybody else feel that the pre-release periods for X/Y and OR/AS provided us with too much info? If so, what do you feel should have been left behind for launch and what could have been shown instead?

Last edited:
I don't know what they could have done differently. Pokemon doesn't change much at all between iterations. So they have to focus on the new features, even if that means showing all of them. In ORAS's case the Megas and the Delta episodes were the only actual new content in the game, so they moved on from the shiny graphics really fast to talk about the new things. And to me the megas were the only thing that made the time before ORAS's release actually interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom