• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use legendaries?

Before Emerald I used at least one legendary Pokémon in each game but recently the only legendary I've used in my party is my Sinjoh Ruins Giratina which I decided to use because it was obtained at level 1 so it was nearly like a starter Pokémon. I've also used Mewtwo in Red version, Mew in Blue version, Lugia and Suicune in Crystal version, Kyogre and Eon Ticket Latios in Sapphire version, Suicune, Raikou and Entei in Colosseum and Articuno in Leaf Green.

I used to, until i knew how to actually play pokemon now I try to play through a game with about 4 pokemon. Maybe try for 3. Usually the starter+2 pokes i really like.

Competitively, I only use Zapdos, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Deoxys and Heatran. In-game, I'll use them as I see fit (though usually, that translates to them spending eternity in a PC box).

I play to win. So I'll use legendaries in-game and competetively if they fit my team.

If using the best Pokemon available makes me a noob, then's I'll carry that title with pride.

It's stupid and limits your imagination. But I guess if that's the way you play.

I play to win. So I'll use legendaries in-game and competetively if they fit my team.

If using the best Pokemon available makes me a noob, then's I'll carry that title with pride.

It's stupid and limits your imagination. But I guess if that's the way you play.

How exactly does using legendaries limit one's imagination?

That makes no sense whatsoever. Apparently, a player should intentionally make bad team choices to play the game properly. Yeah, that makes no sense.

Last edited:
I have four legendaries in my party, two from giveaways on my White game. My legendary Pokemon are Mewtwo, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. I don't care, they are in the game for us to use. I care about my strength and fun in my game.

That makes sense whatso ever. Apparently, a player should intentionally make bad team choices to play the game properly. Yeah, that makes no sense.

Not using legendaries isn't necessarily a bad team choice, unless using something other than a particular legendary would be bad for your team. Though, viable alternatives to almost every Pokemon exist. As such, legendaries aren't more or less necessary than any other Pokemon as far as winning is concerned. Unless you use Flinchax Jirachi. Then you probably need it in order to win.

Mostly in-game. I don't have anything against using them,but generally don't use them. The only ones I ever used were Suicune,Coballion,Reshiram and Lugia (the last one as a HM slave)

That makes sense whatso ever. Apparently, a player should intentionally make bad team choices to play the game properly. Yeah, that makes no sense.

I think you mean that makes no sense whatsoever. And it does. I have beaten people online that use all legendaries against NU Pokemon with no legendaries. Please do not close your mind to ultimate power. It's stupid and unimaginable. Just like I already mentioned.

Not using legendaries isn't necessarily a bad team choice, unless using something other than a particular legendary would be bad for your team. Though, viable alternatives to almost every Pokemon exist. As such, legendaries aren't more or less necessary than any other Pokemon as far as winning is concerned. Unless you use Flinchax Jirachi. Then you probably need it in order to win.

I meant that if two Pokemon (one of whom is a legendary) do the exact same thing, ie, are of same type and have similar movepools but the Legendary is better because of higher stats then not using it is bad team choice. Not using the Legendary may not affect anything all if the non-legendary is able to do its job but using the legendary is just the better choice.

I think you mean that makes no sense whatsoever. And it does. I have beaten people online that use all legendaries against NU Pokemon with no legendaries. Please do not close your mind to ultimate power. It's stupid and unimaginable. Just like I already mentioned.

You were probably facing horrible players. Do not apply personal experience to debates such as these. If two players of equal skill faced each other and one used legendaries while the other didn't, then the former is gonna win.

By Legendaries, I mean good Legendaries. Not crap like Articuno or Entei. The problem with the Legendaries debate is that their status as 'legendary' only really applies for the story. Gameplay-wise, its a different story. Simply saying anyone who uses Legendaries is unimaginative is fail because you fail to understand that some legendaries are crap.

I just see them as Pokemon and select the one with highest stats, biggest movepool, etc when building a team. If I need a sweeper that fits my team well and that Pokemon just happens to be a Legendary, I don't care about being called a noob.

Last edited:
I don't, i really dont see the purpose of them. How much fun is going through the game killing every trainer with an uber mewtwo?

When it comes to the mascot legendaries like Ho-Oh, Palkia, or Zekrom I might used them a little after I caught them, usually because I would have one spot left on my team and need a strong Poke to take on the elite four of something. Although I don't care much for them afterwards.

On the other hand if I happen to get a low level legendary, like the first Victini even (at level 15) I'll go through the whole game with it, because I actually get to personally train it.

I used Terrakion in White, but that's the only Legendary I've used.

EDIT: I lied, thinking back, Mewtwo was always a must in my team. He's my number one favorite Pokemon. Also, in Leaf Green, I had Articuno on my team. But typically, I stick to non legendaries, since they come so late in the game. Even with Terrakion, MewTwo, and Articuno, they were only used to help dominate through the Elite Four, so that I could level up other Pokemon and fill my dex.

Last edited:
When I start a new game, I usually use the game mascot when I catch it for my team and then take on the elite 4 and champion with it.
After the main storyline is complete, I always have a legendary or two with me.
I don't see it as 'stupid' or 'limiting to the imagination' to have legends on your team.

I don't like to use them. They are overrated IMO. There are like 500+ other pokémon to choose from. I don't see why would I just use them because of their legendary status.

I just capture them for pokédex purposes and let them rot in the PC forever. I think the only one is used was a Mewtwo back in RBY

I don't because I feel guilty about it. It was too easy to wipe out the Elite Four with a Lugia in Silver. I didn't even train it; just went right into the E4 with my freshly-caught Lugia. It isn't as rewarding as defeating them with Pokemon you worked hard with, trained with, celebrated victories or suffered defeats with. :)

I'm a little surprised by the disdain people have for using legendary Pokemon. You'd think it was something akin to using AR. I mean, if they're made available to us, why not use them? Why focus solely on their legendary status?

It's just as Karen says, you should just try to win with your favorites, regardless of whether or not they are legendary.

It's just as Karen says, you should just try to win with your favorites, regardless of whether or not they are legendary.

Smogon tiers say otherwise, and if endgame legendaries were meant to be used, then why were they banned in official facilities? It shows that GF needs to make weaker versions like Kyurem.

My younger sister cheated through a few gyms and some of the E4 in SS with a lvl. 100 Arceus we got from a special event. In one day. That was like 4 gyms. She didn't move off her sitting are for a while. I've teased her about that ever since.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom