• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use revives in battle?

Muur

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I use to use revives in battle but eventually stopped as I decided it was an unfair advantage against the CPU. They can't use revives so neither should I. I also restrict myself to one item per battle and most of the time I don't even use them. I also set myself to set as the CPU doesn't get to switch out when they defeat one of my Pokemon...

I only use revives in battle when it's absolutely necessary. Other times, I use them in between battles.

I never use revives (unless I am battling a trainer with Pokemon 30 levels higher than my own Pokemon) out of fairness. The in-game trainers can't use revives which places you at a blatant advantage. Then again, I never use healing items in battle either.

I only ever use Revives on my Pokemon during the elite 4 and only on very rare occasions would I use it outside of the elite 4.

I'll use them on random occasions just so I can have the Pokemon I'm training get experience, and on really tough battles. I'm trying to limit my usage of them though. It kinda takes the fun out of the challenge and puts you at a disadvantage. I'm just waiting for the trainer that trolls everyone by using revives on their best Pokemon ^_^

My most recent use of revives in battle was against Lance on HG. I was unleveled as hell because Johto sucks and I thought it was fair enough with his hacked Dragonites.

I usually only use revives during Gym Battles, the E4, or really tough trainers, if only because it wastes a turn on regular battles.

I only use them in battles against legendaries, rivals, gym leaders, and the Elite Four. Occasionally against random trainers when I really want a Pokémon to gain the exp. Otherwise I'm too much of a cheapskate to use them, even when I get farther into the game. (Gotta take advantage of the free Poké-health care.)

I don't really use revives. Revival Herbs, however...
Of course, it's only if I need something active immediately. Loss of friendship is easily mended.

I use them way too often, probably because I'm too stubborn to switch out at times and let my Pokemon faint. I use them against the E4 most of the time when I'm training and against Legendaries to PP stall. If there's no way I can win a Gym battle without a certain Pokemon, I definitely use the Revive.

I feel cheap seeing that everyone else doesn't use them. I seriously buy like 50 of them every time I go to the E4; I have more than 200 Revives and 300 Hyper Potions. DX

I will usually use Revives out-of-battle, preferring to go into a battle at full strength and emerge victorious solely through Pokemon, types, and moves. That's not to say I won't use items mid-battle if I'm doing poorly -- for example, I have zero qualms about using a normal Revive because it usually happens in the context of me losing my active Pokemon to the opponent's move anyway (making it comparable to Lunar Dance) and it only restores the Pokemon to half HP (so it's easier to lose them again), but I will generally try to avoid items in general if the CPU hasn't used an item already. CPU trainers may have up to three items anyway, so if I have to use an item or two I don't mind, it's just how battling goes.

That being said, when fighting wild Pokemon or especially when doing specific training/hunts, anything goes.

Last edited:
Yes, I use revives all the time. They are so helpful to me during my most difficult battles or if I absolutely need a particular Pokémon for the situation at hand.

Out of habit, I use them all the time. Even realizing how unfair it is, I use any kind of item I can to get an advantage. Full restores, Hyper Potions (though the AI uses these, so it's not so much of a big deal), and the whole nine yards. .___.;; I should probably limit that, though...

Revives are unique in that they work on KO'ed Pokemon. If you're fighting an opponent who can hit you for 80% damage, a Hyper Potion is effectively only going to buy you an extra turn ("Champion Lance used Hyper Potion on Dragonite! Hitmonchan used Ice Punch! It's super effective"), but a Revive means you can swap in one more Pokemon than otherwise if yours gets KO.

I usually just save them until the end of the battle so I don't have to waste any turns. But I never use them in-battle.

Yes, the revives are the only reason why I beat HG with only the fire starter
(And then later with ho-oh)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom