• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use revives in battle?

Only when I really need to or when my pokemon was knocked out unfairly (Like the RNG being a D**k and giving the CPU a lucky crit or whatever.)

I personally never use items in battles, apart from the occasional hyper potion or something, and I only use those if I'm fighting someone who also will use them. I certainly don't use revives, since it always just felt wrong, even if I'm only playing a computer. I hate item use in battles, and I wish GF would put in rules to stop you or your opponent from doing so. Or at least make it an option.

Yes, I do. Why would I not? Giving myself a disadvantage, to add an arbitrary difficulty, seems silly.

Last edited:
Only when I face the E4 or champion.On a side note thank god gym leaders in emerald didnt have max revives I would go insane if I had to kill that Claydol again.

I'll use whatever resources are available to me. Considering you'll usually need 2 HM slaves for Victory Roads/other hard caves, that leaves four Pokemon that can easily be slightly underleveled and THERE IS NO WAY I'm blacking out and starting it over. It's a fair advantage, unlike cheating which is an unfair advantage.

I don't use revives on ordinary trainers, but I use them on my pokemon for gym, rival, elite four, champion and those sort of super important battles

I think the only time I use revives is in between Elite Four battles. I just stockpile them up throughout the game beforehand.

All the time with the E4 and some gym leaders too.

It's not like Pokemon games have a super wide variety of things you can spend money on anyways. If you're not dumping all of your money on potions/revives, the only other real option is spending it on a ton of Pokeballs. (Or I guess vitamins, too, if you decide to EV train.)

I use them, but only when I'm battling hard Trainers or important ones (like Elite Four members).

To be honest, yes I do use my revives in battle (as well as other items) that is if I have any with me, I feel terrible if a Pokemon of mine faints and I can't bring him back (to at least get some experience from the battle)

I use revives on weak Pokemon that I'm training and at the E4. Sometimes in gym battles if I'm having a hard time for some reason as well. Otherwise they're just too expensive...

I never want to waste Revives and Healing Items in any RPG. I somehow prefer grinding a few levels if I have a tough time with any trainer. Like I did when facing Brock in Pokemon Red with a level 18 Pidgeotto, because I had picked Charmander as my starter and didn't want to waste potions.

I use them mainly in difficult battles such as the Elite Four/Champion. I rarely use Max Revives, though, due to the finite amount of them per save.

I do not consider it cheating. Game Freak wouldn't have put them in the game if players weren't supposed to use them.

I tend to use revives outside of battle since I find it kind of difficult to do during a battle unless I have a Pokemon (HM slaves 99% of the time) to use as a buffer while I use a revive on Pokemon vital to the battle.

Spend 1.5k x # of revive used or lose half the gold I have.

Going to use revives.

As I recall the only time I really used Revives in a battle was against Cynthia (because her Garchomp was consistently taking out my Pokemon every time I sent them out at full health and that sucker was FAST!) and also against Ghetsis with his Hydreigon (same situation as Cynthia's Garchomp) really Revives put you in a bad position cuz you're only at half strength. Max Revives are like Ambrosia and Nectar, too bad they're harder to come by. But I agree with those that only use them at certain circumstances, like when the opponents Pokemon is obviously HACKED, then guess what, I'm gonna Revive my Pokemon to take that mother out.

I do actually, though always only in post game. Whenever I'm training low-leveled Pokés at the League and usually only have 2 or three strong ones in the team while all the others one carry Exp.Share I always use Revive whenever necessary so that I won't have to start all over again. That's basically the only time I use Revive, and once I do I usually use them right in the middle of the battle just because I often tend to forget about it when I'm out-of-battle.

I never use them during an actual playthrough though, and it's not because I feel this guilt of gaining an unfair advantage or something, it's just that I never need them. I waste so much time on grinding my Pokémon before Gym battles and the League, so my Pokémon are always way overleveled once battling either of them, so I just never really need them. I do in fact lose extremely much time on grinding as much as I do since it really takes forever, but I'm much to stubborn to quit since I've always been doing that.

So yeah, the times I do use Revive, it's always during the middle of a battle, since I otherwise just forget about it and get totally hammered by the next E4-member that I end up facing.

Usually only against the Elite 4, and I often try to save as many as I collect until that point. Then, I do often buy a handful more before that challenge.

Only for desperate times when I'm struggling in a battle...
Usually the only time I use them is in the Elite 4

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom