• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use the GTS?

I use the GTS very actively.

I've had infinitely more luck with depositing Pokemon and asking for something in return than I have searching, but I've found a handful of things through searching, too! I traded a Spiritomb for a shiny Scrafty a while back. And if it weren't for the GTS, I wouldn't have all of the Pokebank mons that I do. A friend gave me a Tepig, and I bred it, and traded the Tepig off for other starters that were being asked for that wanted Tepig in return, and bred those and deposited them in to the GTS asking for other pokebank mons. I was able to get all of the Gen 2-5 starters in only a few hours doing this, and have got the rest of the Pokebank mons (not legendaries) this way, too.

Spiritomb was my lucky mon for a while, I'd deposit it and get just about anything (reasonable) in return, but lately I've been depositing Castforms and Tynamos and asking for evolved Pokemon. I've gotten Kingdra, Slowking, evolved fossils, Weavile and a bunch of others through this method. In my experience, most of the Pokebank mons only want other pokebank mons in return, and maybe it is taking advantage a bit, but if you're not going to use those evolved Pokemon for battle and only want it for your dex and want to trade it for a Pokebank mon that you can breed and deposit, etc, it's more helpful in the long run, imo :) I traded a Tynamo for a Rhyperior a while ago (as in, the Rrhyperior was up for trade and wanted a Tynamo in return. Boom!) Pretty much it comes down to that I am lazy and don't want to take the time to evolve them myself sometimes if it's something tedious :p (I always put 'any' for gender and level, so that probably helps, too.)

I'll just wait for Bank to be released to get the legendaries. It's so annoying that 90% of the things wanted in return are legendaries. I am glad there is a way to filter out "special" pokemon, but it seems to only apply to Xerneas and Yveltal. It's so annoying sifting through 50 mons that want the birds, etc. I really hope they fix this eventually :/

The level thing is really annoying too. Yes, I will certainly give you my level 94 Sylveon for your Joltik...:/ And tbh I don't really understand why people want such high level pokemon? I mean the obvious thing is for battling, but isn't the whole point of pokemon to raise them yourself and stuff? Idk maybe I am just picky :p

I've never really used the GTS for trades. Any time I look at it, I just look at the offers. It's very hard for me to trust any offers being made due to the possibility of fakes/hacks instead of the real Pokemon.

I usually use the GTS if I'm looking for something that's hard to get or that I can't get by myself, like Pokemon that evolve by trading them with a specific item, or certain legendaries. Other than those kinds of situations, I just use Wonder Trade instead.

Alternately, when you deposit a Pokemon it should give you an option to look up any/all trades requesting that type/gender/level of Pokemon in exchange.

YES. :-D I was about to suggest the same thing.

Sometimes. I was surprised that my little brother managed to get an Oshawott in the same day of putting up the request in exchange for a Cacnea.

The majority of the requests are the same as the last generations: legendaries

I haven't used Gen VI's GTS that often, but I can see that the only some of the requests are more agreeable than others.

Usually only for version exclusives. If I have something I want to get rid of or just want to trade for no reason, I use Wonder Trade. If I need something rare and/or specific, I'll use a Trade Forum (usually Serebii's).

I've used the non-Kalos/Kanto starters as trade fodder on the GTS. You can usually get what you want fairly easily since they're in high demand. Heck, I've even been able to unload Fletchling and Marill in 5 to 10 minutes on the GTS if I note they're competitively bred. The one thing I've found though.....no one seems to want Chimchar for some reason?

Either way, I think if you have one of the Pokebank Pokemon, you can probably get something decent in return in the GTS. Otherwise, I just Wonder Trade because I'm in it for the Pokemiles.

"Seek Requests" would definitely make the GTS infinitely more useful, that's for sure. Select it, then it shows a list of every trade that matches a pokemon you have, which you can then refine through filters (like 'this pokemon', 'this gender', 'this nature'). That's a point - we need nature filters. Not for depositing, only for seeking.

"Seek Requests" would definitely make the GTS infinitely more useful, that's for sure. Select it, then it shows a list of every trade that matches a pokemon you have, which you can then refine through filters (like 'this pokemon', 'this gender', 'this nature').
Especially for breeding runs when you have an excess of baby Pokemon. I mean, my brain does a little victory dance every time I stumble across a trade requesting something like a Treecko, Eevee, or Shinx (which I've done breeding runs on, so I have a few boxes full of 'em). If I could just select one of my bred Mons directly and pull up a list of trades requesting it in exchange for whatever, I could empty out my boxes faster even than handing them out on WT.

BTW, I notice it seems like Vivillon/Scatterbug trades go faster than hot dogs at an eating contest. I was lucky enough to grab an Ocean pattern one (which brings my total to seven), but the competition's fierce.

As for me, I'm currently fruitcaking Riolus on the GTS (deposit, request same gender/level as deposited, see what I get back). Ideally a Prankster female with a Great Ball (aesthetic reasons), but even just in a Great Ball would be nice (deposit message: "Great Ball plz"), but nobody's gotten the clue yet. I just got a Prankster female back ... but in a Repeat Ball. Closer than usual, but still not what I'm looking for.

I like how more streamlined it is this time, that you only need to know a 'mon exists even if your character doesn't.

I got all my G2-5 starters in GTS (except Piplup and Mudkip), plus Buneary. I'll probably breed and GTS them to collect the other unobtainables if the Bank doesn't get a date soon.

The trick to the GTS is to only make offers and ask for specific Pokemon in return. Trying to find decent trades is virtually impossible, so you pretty much have to make offers yourself. When people see your totally reasonable offer amongst the sea of horribly unbalanced offers they'll snatch it up fast. I once offered a Heracross, asking for an Aron in exchange; the trade was accepted literally one single hour later. xD
I've done that quite a bit with Starters: pitch a Bulbasaur or Squirtle on GTS and ask for something reasonable and I'd get a reply pretty quick.
I swear, I don't understand what kind of people make these unreasonable trade requests... "Level 25 Pinsir for a Level 100 Zygarde," "Level 10 Ralts for a Level 100 Celebi." I mean, seriously people, you DO realize nobody is going to take you up on those offers, right? Geez...
It depends on what the offer really is.

Several nights ago, I spotted a level 27 Golett on the Gen V GTS. The Trainer was asking for a Landorus. To see a level 27 Golett is a rarity so I took the risk and traded: the Golett I received was an Impish Natured Dream Worlder. Huge risk, I'll be the first to admit but it paid off for me.
Before obtaining my 5IV foreign Charmander for shiny breeding I used the GTS to trade for them in hopes of getting one. I knew Charmanders were a hot breeding item and wanted to see if I could get a 5IV using this method. Got a few 4IVs from this method and I will use this same method to look for 5IVs of future pokemon to breed for shinies.
The GTS was kind to me in that regard: I got a 5IV Adamant No Guard Gobit for a Ditto. He's a level 100 Golurk and he'll be used for a future shiny hunt. Sure, some of the offers are terrible but others can be awesome. You just have to keep looking.

True. I managed to get a 5IV male foreign Cottonee from the Wonder Trade, so that's also an awesome option. Got several 5IVs from Wonder Trade of various types. With my Oval Charm and Shiny Charm I have a variety of potential shiny-making males.

A single (most likely hacked) foreign 5-6IV Ditto would nullify them all though, but until I obtain that illegal giggilo I'll just stick to random Wonder Trade luck. When I'm not running back and forth in front of the Daycare that is.

The GTS is just a ungoverned troll hole of people offering their junk in hopes of cashing in on someone's stupidity, trolling people with impossible trades and putting up then taking down trades that are feasible but no one has the level asked for that certain pokemon and it is then taken down.

Then you have the hacked Pokémon that despite what GF said, still gets in. Usually when you see someone put a Pokémon up and ask for the same one in return, three things are possible with it. 1 its hacked and they want your legit on. 2 they are asking for a higher level then what they're offering, 3 they are no happy with its IVs and are trying to get a better one.

If the GTS was regulated with common sense, I would use it more often.

...putting up then taking down trades that are feasible but no one has the level asked for that certain pokemon and it is then taken down.
I don't know about you, but there seems to be a lot less of people asking for specific genders/levels this time (maybe it helps that they removed the "Lv.100" from the level filter). There are still a few impossible trades ("Lv.1 to 10 Ditto" or other evolved Mon like Staravia/Lairon) that really should be blocked at the door, but not anywhere near as many as in G4/5.

3 they are no happy with its IVs and are trying to get a better one.
In my case, until I can get a Safari with Riolu in it I'm trading Riolu right and left hoping for one in a Great Ball. Matching level/gender, I check back in a few hours and it's traded. I currently have two Prankster females, one in a Luxury Ball and another in a Heal Ball. But I want the Great Ball for aesthetic reasons, and the offspring inherit their balls from the mother.

(No pun intended.)

Offering junk? I offer Pokemon with at least 3 IVs (often 4) and the correct nature when asking for something. Of course people trade their breeding rejects on the GTS. They trade their breeding rejects on this forum too (if they weren't rejects, they'd keep them), but to start-up breeders, having a Pokemon with even 3 IVs can help speed up the process by a lot.

And people trade Scatterbugs for Scatterbugs, and its much better than the Vivillon trade because no one really knows what's being offered....and people seem to avoid Japanese Scatterbug due to the overabundance of Elegant Pattern ones, but those from Hokkaido have Tundra pattern and I've gotten two extra Tundra Vivillon this way.

I would like to trade Scatterbug for Scatterbug but I cant seem to find one where a freaking Legendary isnt requested or much of anything else really >_<

Ive tried offering Scatterbug for Scatterbug but I only ever seem to get Japanese Scatterbug that evolve into Elegant Pattern.

I would like to trade Scatterbug for Scatterbug but I cant seem to find one where a freaking Legendary isnt requested or much of anything else really >_<

Ive tried offering Scatterbug for Scatterbug but I only ever seem to get Japanese Scatterbug that evolve into Elegant Pattern.

I usually trade extra non-Kalos/Kanto starters for Scatterbug--usually don't run into Japanese Scatterbug since most Japanese players had bank anyway. There's a few Scatterbug for Scatterbug, but they disappear fairly quick. Just be sure to filter out the "Special Pokémon" before setting your search.

1. ALL the trades that people have up that they are requesting impossible stuff for is for cloning so w/e, let people do their stuff.

2. There is a filter option that shows only trades that are requesting pokemon you currently have.

Anyways, I have found many reasonable trades on there and have even received a few really awesome pokemon. (highlight is someone giving me a 6iv shiny kyogre).

But, to also put it another way, I have gotten waaaaaay better stuff off of wonder trade. (countless 5iv foreign pokes.) So wonder trade lol.

1. ALL the trades that people have up that they are requesting impossible stuff for is for cloning so w/e, let people do their stuff.

2. There is a filter option that shows only trades that are requesting pokemon you currently have.

Anyways, I have found many reasonable trades on there and have even received a few really awesome pokemon. (highlight is someone giving me a 6iv shiny kyogre).

But, to also put it another way, I have gotten waaaaaay better stuff off of wonder trade. (countless 5iv foreign pokes.) So wonder trade lol.

I dont think it's always for cloning(does that even work in Gen 6?), I think it's more people doing it to show off/be funny but it's really annoying and its actually a problem because they are taking up space in the GTS that could be used for a real trade.

I dont like gts just because 99/100 pokemon are hacked. When someone has every pokemon shiny why would they even need to trade me?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom