• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use the GTS?

I don't think the GTS is too bad if you're only looking for really easily obtainable Pokemon, or ones that aren't really in high demand. I've gotten all my version exclusive pokemon off the GTS, without much issue. I do wish you could specify that you exclusively want Pokemon with a certain item/trait though. Like, I'd like to be able to say I want a Magmar holding a Magmarizer in exchange for whatever Pokemon I put up. I know you can ask in the text box thing, but people aren't necessarily going to bother. A couple of times I've also misinterpreted the text - I thought someone was offering a Pokemon with Pokerus, but it turned out they were asking for one with Pokerus. :/

But yeah, it's definitely overrun with people asking for completely unreasonable trades, and it could use some work.

I've actually gotten a few shinies from the GTS. Most for Pokemon like Entei, Latias, and all the other legendaries that are able to be traded over the GTS, but that seems reasonable to me, especially since I have some extras of them. So far I've gotten a shiny Cubchoo, Greninja, Emboar, and Skiddo (the Skiddo was for a Growlithe and all the others wanted legendaries). I even got a shiny Tornadus when offering a shiny Blaziken

I tested it a few times to see if the people claiming to have 6IV Pokemon were lying or not, but only one out of about 6 were telling the truth

I tested it a few times to see if the people claiming to have 6IV Pokemon were lying or not, but only one out of about 6 were telling the truth
You know how you can supply a text message when you deposit a Pokemon? That message needs to reset to blank every time you make a deposit. Because (1) once you've specified a text message, you can't remove it, and (2) some people might forget about it.

You know how you can supply a text message when you deposit a Pokemon? That message needs to reset to blank every time you make a deposit. Because (1) once you've specified a text message, you can't remove it, and (2) some people might forget about it.
You can change it, if you tap it before you hit deposit. I changed mine from "Nicknames okay!" to "HA for HA?" when I offered a level 30 Protean Frogadier for a level 30 Pawniard. No, I didn't get one with Pressure but I've gotten so many now that it's kinda moot.

However, I'm pretty sure most won't change their "Has 6IVs" message because they know they will get a trade. I've blown a couple of Legends getting Golett that had the message "No Guard" and got massively screwed. I even traded for a shiny Golurk that supposedly had 6IVs and No Guard; poor thing had only 2IVs and Klutz. But he's Adamant which doesn't suck, so it was worth it.

Morbid curiosity brought me back for more GTS-style entertainment. I decided to look up Pidgey, wondering if the section for this most common of Pokemon might be free of people demanding legendaries and species of impossible level in return.

It was not. Demands for Celebi, Lugia, Arceus, Xerneas... even one who nicknamed his Pidgey "Squirtle". Yeah, that's convincing.

Edit: Just picking Pokemon at random now, ended up in the Trapnich section. I'm not sure which one is a better deal: the one named "Yo mom toots" requesting a Zekrom in return, or the one named... well, not sure if I can repeat it here, but it ends in "-nipper" and states that "no-one likes him". Another one named Flygon. Yeah, we've got some real winners here.

Last edited:
I try not to use the GTS because of the unreasonable request issue.

Also those nicknames from the above post XD

I came back to the GTS to help reach the 100 mil, and I decided to kill two birds with one stone by collecting Vivillon forms. I've been able to build up a decent collection, but I've been having trouble collecting a couple of the rarer forms (Sandstorm, Monsoon, Ocean, Tundra) because there's too few of them and whatever gets put on the GTS either requests something ridiculous or gets snatched up almost instantly and gets traded before I can get to it. Which leads me to wonder, who exactly thought it was a good idea to make certain Vivillon forms exclusive to regions where Pokemon isn't popular?

I did notice something about it that I didn't before, that you can filter out requests for "special Pokemon", which I presume is event Pokemon as even with that option enabled, you still see requests for legendaries. It's a step in the right direction, but I think they need to take it a step further by having an option to filter out requests for any legendaries.

''I want a female Pidgey for breeding purposes.''
''Looks on GTS, Raikou, Darkrai, Celebi, Meloetta. Really? Ever heard of value?''
Screw it. I'll stick to Wonder Trade. I get more then I need from that.

I only deposit pokes I know I can get anything from. Starters from other then Kanto and Kalos are populair though.
Been busy breeding some just for these occasions. Deposit a Treecko and it's gone in 15 minutes.
I use them to fill up my pokedex and for breeding the specific gender.

Yup, I've been using it to trade for version exclusives. I've always got the trades through, but I always deposit instead of Seeking. Between the good offers there's too many Legendary beggars to make it worthwhile.

Update on this, I've been trading Vivillon (mine are Marine) for all sorts of breedable Pokémon with success. I've easily traded at least 30 Pokémon this way and I usually get what I ask for in half an hour or less. Of course I sometimes hit a wall, but the trades have always gone through. If I keep this up I believe I should be able to collect every non-Legendary Pokémon fairly easy to complete my Living Dex :]

I do use it for the easy obtainable pokémon, but for legendaries I use this site, it is just so much easier :) I did get a shiny exeggcute from GTS, that was pretty cool :)

Well, in an effort to help the GTS along to 100 million, I've come back to the GTS. Except I'm trading Glameow for Fletchling, because the requests for Glameow existing are absurd
I'm participating in that 100 million trades as well. It's pretty funny to see how people want surprisingly common pokemon.

UPDATE: I was trading Ditto for Ditto (I'm collecting foreign Dittos), and suddenly, I saw a shiny Ditto available! The owner was asking for a Registeel, and there wasn't any particular message from them. So I quickly got my Registeel I caught in Black2 and thankfully, trade success :D

Last edited:
It's kind of depressing to see how many people are just showing off or asking for absurd trades... Thanks to the filters in XY, I can eliminate any who're asking for "special Pokemon", but that usually leaves me with less than 10 options. And that's when I'm looking for a Pokemon like Sewaddle. From time to time though I can score some really nice exchanges. Just have to look hard...

I've found the GTS pretty useful since its inception in Diamond/Pearl. However, it wasn't until 6th Gen that I started searching for Pokémon I needed by myself. Due to the really poor interface in the previous Gens, it made searching really clunky and limited. I usually only asked for Pokémon by trading something similar, like starters.

With no more limits on skimming through searches, the 6th Gen GTS is much more convenient. There's still the typical Legendary for regular Pokémon trades, but there's a good filter to remove those asking for Ubers and events, which is most helpful. I still think it needs a filter to display only those trades asking for specific Pokémon. Overall it's the most useful it's ever been, though it still needs some improvements. My biggest gripe and the most annoying thing as of current is that you can ask for event Pokémon, but they cannot be traded. WTF. That needs a serious fix by now (Either prevent people asking for event Pokémon or make them trade-able). Also annoying is the ability to ask for impossible Pokémon, most common for low level Legendaries. Let's hope GameFreak takes some time to fix all this. :/

I still think it needs a filter to display only those trades asking for specific Pokémon.
The closest thing we have is the "Pokemon you have" filter, which is already vastly useful. But, indeed, an option to show one of your Pokemon and search for trades requesting it would be 10x more awesome.

Morbid curiosity brought me back for more GTS-style entertainment. I decided to look up Pidgey, wondering if the section for this most common of Pokemon might be free of people demanding legendaries and species of impossible level in return.

It was not. Demands for Celebi, Lugia, Arceus, Xerneas... even one who nicknamed his Pidgey "Squirtle". Yeah, that's convincing.
Yeah, it seems the nicknaming your Pokemon a different species won't trip off that little picture glitch we had in Gen V. It's funny to see some people try and fail at it miserably. And some of those offers are just insane.

Edit: Just picking Pokemon at random now, ended up in the Trapnich section. I'm not sure which one is a better deal: the one named "Yo mom toots" requesting a Zekrom in return, or the one named... well, not sure if I can repeat it here, but it ends in "-nipper" and states that "no-one likes him". Another one named Flygon. Yeah, we've got some real winners here.
I am utterly stunned at some of the nicknames that got through, yet something like "Violet" or "Casshern" is banned. And no, I'm not kidding on the name Violet, either.

The trades that really irritate me are the show off ones, though. I spotted a shiny Gardevoir and the trainer was asking for an Arceus. The trainer's message? "Just showing off." Man, I wanted to punch something so hard at that moment. :mad:

I wasn't aware there was some sort of glitch before. Did it show the wrong picture in Gen V if a Pokemon had the name of a different species?

Haven't really run into anyone obviously just showing off, but I'm sure they're in there somewhere. Ugh.

Recently I received an Articuno on Wonder Trade (not Kalos-native) and since I started with Chespin in Y, I'm considering putting this one on the GTS and asking for a Zapdos or Moltres, hoping for a Kalos-native for the Pokedex. If I don't get one that is, I can just put whatever I get back on there and ask for the other one until I get one or the other that is.

Edit: Received a Kalos-native Zapdos for my Articuno immediately, then traded it for a Kalos-native Moltres. Less than an hour. The Deposit function is awesome, the Seek function is an abomination.

Last edited:
I was trying to see if I could find a shiny Corsola on the GTS, but all of them were the regular pink ones

And most of them were asking for Entei.

I was trying to see if I could find a shiny Corsola on the GTS, but all of them were the regular pink ones

And most of them were asking for Entei.
If you think that's bad, try getting a Vivillon. Ugh, the asking prices for even the common ones will make you want to tear your hair out. I'm lacking just the Sandstorm pattern and I am living in mortal fear that I may never get one: most of them are up for a Celebi or an Arceus. If one of them is posted with a doable trade, like a Giratina, it's gone within the span of five minutes.

The other ones I do have cost me dearly, so they are not going anywhere. But that Sandstorm is gonna be a pain in the skidplate to get, I tell ya.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom