• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want Hikari/Dawn to be the main character from now on?

Ashfangirl17

Reaction score
Do you want Hikari/Dawn to be the main character from now on? I think it would be pretty neat. I'm an Ash fan but I'd love to see Hikari/Dawn as the main character too, we'd get to see contests as the main veiw and see Hikari's/Dawns rivals a lot. Who else hopes next generation they continue with Hikari/Dawns point of view? Maybe since there doing things very different in D/P series they'll do this.

She's already the main character, Ash's co-star.

Thankfully, she's just as replaceable as May proved to be.

The writers are not going to make a whole show about Contests. They're nothing more than an optional sidequest in the games, they're not going to devote an entire series to something that's relatively unimportant to advertise.

The reason why Contests are such a big deal in the anime is because the writers know better than to remove them and give us a repeated Johto effect. The big mistake in Johto was having only Ash with a quest and not having Misty do anything, and the writers definitely do not want to make that mistake again. This is why we had Contests continue in Battle Frontier, the writers know it helps the series and keeps fan interest high.

Contests helped get rid of all the filler that plagued Johto, while also letting Gyms still have the overall main focus. However, they're unlikely to make an entire show advertising them because there's really no point. Its exactly why May has been completely neglected since she left the show, there's virtually no reason to give Contests spotlight outside the main series.

Last edited:
Apparently, Dawn getting Buizel = her overtaking the show and turning it into a fairy tale, or something.

The writers are not going to make a whole show about Contests. They're nothing more than an optional sidequest in the games, they're not going to devote an entire series to something that's relatively unimportant to advertise.

The reason why Contests are such a big deal in the anime is because the writers know better than to remove them and give us a repeated Johto effect. The big mistake in Johto was having only Ash with a quest and not having Misty do anything, and the writers definitely do not want to make that mistake again. This is why we had Contests continue in Battle Frontier, the writers know it helps the series and keeps fan interest high.

Contests helped get rid of all the filler that plagued Johto, while also letting Gyms still have the overall main focus. However, they're unlikely to make an entire show advertising them because there's really no point. Its exactly why May has been completely neglected since she left the show, there's virtually no reason to give Contests splotlight outside the main series.

Sorry Scott, but as much as you (and I must admit me too) hate it, Dawn already IS main character, who gets as much spotlight as Ash have. Plus, they add her name to that "This is Pokémon world…" text at the begining of japanese opening, which thy never do for another character until now. And this have nothing to do with contests, but with Dawn as character.

Dawn is not the main character. She gets the same spotlight that May did.

Ash is clearly more important. :rolleyes:

Dawn is not the main character. She gets the same spotlight that May did.

I beg to differ with that. By now, Hikari has proved to have more spotlight than Haruka did. by now, Haruka had 2 pokemon and competed and lost in one pokemon contest while now, Hikari has 4 pokemon and has competed in 2 contests and won one not to mention the many episodes dedicated to her.

Hikari has definitely proved she has potential to be a main character but I don't think the writers will easily shaft Ash. Hikari has proved to be much more capable than Haruka who stopped being the focus of attention since AG2.

I beg to differ with that. By now, Hikari has proved to have more spotlight than Haruka did. by now, Haruka had 2 pokemon and competed and lost in one pokemon contest while now, Hikari has 4 pokemon and has competed in 2 contests and won one not to mention the many episodes dedicated to her.

The difference is her Contest arc started sooner, (May didn't enter a Contest till AG35), and caught Pokemon at a faster rate, however if you compare the first 35 episodes of AG to the first 35 of D/P, where is the major difference in spotlight? Its not like May wasn't doing anything at all in that time.

Almost all the non-Ash fillers of AG went to May. If you scan your eyes down the episode list, May is doing something in all episodes that don't focus on Ash. Hell, even episodes that did focus on Ash feature May in the second prominent role. Half the Dewford arc was spent on May training her Beautifly for her first Contest.

Hikari has proved to be much more capable than Haruka who stopped being the focus of attention since AG2.

How did May stop being the focus of AG? She got almost every non-Ash episode. She was secondary to Ash, obviously, and so is Dawn.

I fail to see how Contests in D/P are more important than Gyms or AG Contests.

I don't see why some people (not you guys, but other fans I've seen on another forum) would get worked up over the fact that a female character is getting a lot of spotlight and is a main character. Hikari is a very popular character, so naturally the writers are giving her a lot of attention.

But I don't want Hikari to be 'THE' main character. The main focus of the anime is and always will be gyms, and, unless we get a main girl who battles instead of entering beauty pageants, that means Ash will be 'THE' main character for the remainder of the anime franchise.

The difference is her Contest arc started sooner, (May didn't enter a Contest till AG35), and caught Pokemon at a faster rate, however if you compare the first 35 episodes of AG to the first 35 of D/P, where is the major difference in spotlight? Its not like May wasn't doing anything at all in that time.

Almost all the non-Ash fillers of AG went to May. If you scan your eyes down the episode list, May is doing something in all episodes that don't focus on Ash. Hell, even episodes that did focus on Ash feature May in the second prominent role. Half the Dewford arc was spent on May training her Beautifly for her first Contest.

How did May stop being the focus of AG? She got almost every non-Ash episode. She was secondary to Ash, obviously, and so is Dawn.

I fail to see how Contests in D/P are more important than Gyms or AG Contests.

Well, you made me count and until DP34 we have 8 episodes centred on Ash and 8 episodes centred on Dawn (the others were either centred on both or none of them), while to AG34 we get 8 episodes centred on Ash and only 5 episodes centred on May. Add this to the fact they add Dawn to that opening text I mentioned above and let her narrated prewievs on almost half of the episodes and you get to the answer about how importent Dawn is.
And once again, you missed one point, not all about Dawn is about Contests, so it's not like Contests are as importent as Gyms, even though Dawn IS as importent as Ash. Hope you understand now.

The problem is you're still saying implying that Ash isn't more important to the series than Dawn.

Ash and Pikachu are still the "main" deal of the anime, Dawn, whether she does Contests or not, does not come close to Ash's overall importance.

This is why the Hyouta Gym arc had 4 episodes, whereas Dawn's Contests only have 2. This is why Ash is the last to appear in the opening with Pikachu, while Dawn appears next to Brock, as the sidekicks.

Dawn is definitely the most battle-centric girl we ever had on the cast, but she's not on Ash's level, and she's not focused on that much more than May was at this point. The amount of Pokemon you own has NOTHING to do with importance, otherwise Misty would be considered the most important girl on the cast since she had four Pokemon (Staryu, Starmie, Horsea and Goldeen) at this point of the first 35 eps, and we know Misty didn't have even half the role May and Dawn do on the show.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom