• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want Knight Pokémon University back?

Do you want Knight Pokémon University back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As any previous players still active on the forums are well aware, the complete halt in activity forced me to close the Knight Pokémon University RPG back in February. Since then, I've seen inconsistent reappearances by a few of the players, and wondered to myself if maybe there's hope of resurrecting the game and picking up where we left off.

So my question is, do you guys want it back? Or are you content to wait for the sprite comic and (with any luck) YouTube series?

I had seen some of the threads when I was lurking and it was definately one of the first places I would have loved to join, until it got deleted. I wanted to understand how you actually RP'd there, as it seem comlicated as in timelines, money and places to actually post for development.

I would love to see it reopened so I could give it a chance.

I was thinking of Joining just before it closed. I would be happy to help with the comic aswell.

I was about to join too. I'd been referred to it by a few friends who were members of it.

I miss it. I was having fun developing my character, especially with all the crap that happened to him. (He was one of the guys who battled Shadow Gengar in that basement.)

I was never let in and the concept of levels being used outside a D&D like table top game, a card game or a video game baffles me. In a way I'm glad it's gone because now I know I'm not missing anything but it did seem pretty cool.

Just as I'd heard it was closing I decided to see what exactly it was. I wish I'd gotten the chance to try it out.

KPU... I feel like I missed something grand in my life when I didn't join. It seemed so fun, too.

I'd say yes. I liked it a lot when I first joined, but I found it hard to get back into after my hiatus. I'd really like to see it come back. :}

I ask for a restart. This time with an orgasnised posting order/time thing :\ I really liked KPU because it let me explore what kind of characters I liked using, and which type I'm bad at writing and role playing out

That never worked, the whole thing with certain times on certain days.

If we do restart this, I'd be willing to offer a few suggestions on how to do some things.

how about something like "20 posts till midnight" or something along those lines?

For the love of God, will you stop with the time thing?! The reason it went so slowly is because no one had time to post. It wasn't a matter of choice.

You should watch this Penny Arcade - Extra Credits – Playtesting It is about videogames but it tells you what to do about feedback that annoys you and I think lessons can be learned from it. Everything is connected after all. Hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't

DarkDreams' feedback annoys me because it has absolutely no foundation. She's been trying to shove this posting order/time limit crap down my throat since I took over as RP head, and she needs to realize that she is mistaken. If we impose that sort of thing, it'll just be us GMs advancing days constantly without any players ever posting, or else no days will advance at all because the next person in line has disappeared.

Also, to be honest, I'd much rather pick up from where we left off than have to press the reset button again. Although, given the fact that we've lost pretty much all of our staff at this point, a do-over may be necessary just to get the new GMs up to speed.

Ugh, real life is such a pain.

If...I may post my opinion...

It all comes down to organization. KPU was and probably will be poorly organized. It released without a map, without any system, and without a plot. There was no direction, which was what really pissed me off as the kind of person who really really really likes planning (but oddly enough, never doing.). So I tried to do it. I tried to make a plot, I tried to make a villain. Something for the students to strive towards. The next paragraph can be skipped if you want, but I think it helps me get my point across.

The villainous team's first outing would have completely destroyed the students, but the teachers would have saved the day. This would have made the students respect the teachers, and give them a goal - to defeat the villains. The second attack would have the students successfully fend off the villains, to show that they had grown. The third attack would have the villains defeat the teachers, but the students would be able to push through and succeed, which would show that they have finally proven themselves as equals to, some better than, the teachers. A final attack would have defeated them completely and thoroughly, only for them to rise again for the final battle, when they were no longer on defence, and would take back what was theirs.

Which I had posted in the admin thread. Unfortunately, somebody else had already made a villainous team, so it got rejected. So I asked her how the plot would go. She didn't say anything. Which really, really annoyed me (I left a comment which thinking back could have been a lot better worded and not as forceful. Not that it would have changed anything, but I would emerge as much less of a jerk.).

Now, you might argue that KPU isn't about villainous teams, but about socializing and getting to the end of the school year. To which I reply, yes, I totally agree with you. So...why do we need a villainous team again? I mean, there was a "villainous team" section in the original plan which was incomplete, so I kinda went ahead and...oh...ohhhhhh. See what I did there? "Plan". "Incomplete". We did have a plan, but it wasn't complete.

And that is the problem with KPU. If we're going to grab our defibrillators and bring this sonuvagun back to life, we need to get ourselves organized. We don't need a villainous team, we don't need any fancy schmancy battle/leveling system, all we need is planning and organization.

So, who wants to be a GM?

Last edited:
I don't mind getting involved with this but reading many ex player comments I think the problem is not everyone agreeing.

Also, Glitch most of your points are good but I disagree with the starting from the last point instead of starting again. Mainly because if it was faulty the first time there's not point restarting it from a mess, especially when there seems to be a new wave of interest.

This is just my opinion though.

@White Len; Much as I'd like to do a game solely about character development, it would turn into pretty much a high school drama/sitcom. A villain would give the game a defined goal to strive towards, and a villainous team works a lot better than what System Error had in mind.

Matter of fact, I think I may have a new idea since we've lost our previous villains' creator. That will be something to discuss later.

And I think I can satisfy both those who want a restart and those who want to continue from where we left off. It's a bit cumbersome, but it could work: The very first version of the game was archived and kept readable by guests, so what if we just archived the last incarnation but kept it playable by those involved at the time? Then we can start over without throwing everything out completely.

@Glitchipedia; Why can't character development be tied into the fight against the villains? My character, Aaron McCallister, exemplifies this quite well IMHO: After losing to that Shadow Gengar, he started to doubt himself and he decided he needed to become stronger. In fact, I was really hoping he'd have a chance for a rematch against Shadow Gengar sometime down the road, after he became stronger abd had a chance of defeating it.

I don't think there was a chance of defeating it. System Error rigged that fight so there was only one way to win it, and he never indicated what that way was until well after the fact.

But anyway, I never said that villains and character development were mutually exclusive. It's just that a game lacking villains would lack a defined goal, and thus fail to give players a reason to keep playing beyond a certain point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom