• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

• Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

Votes: 166 73.5%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Yes please!
I've had cases where my pokemon gained 2 levels in 1 battle and then missed out on a move that could only be learned at the exact levelup level. Heart scales are not exactly common.

Yes and no. Yes only if there's a way where the battle would not slow down between the Evolution and no because though it would be cool, I see nothing wrong with the current way of Evolution.

I would HATE using evolution-inducing items in battle, but if it's a plain level-up, then that would be awesome. I would love to see it with the 3D graphics.

I feel a mid-battle evolution could be done. And it would be awesome. But if it does happen, it should happen between rounds, just like when a Pokemon learns a new move upon Level Up and has to pause for a moment to learn it. While it would gain a big stat boost, I would still vouch for it. Even though evolving after a battle is rewarding, too, my only complaint about that is that what if a Pokemon learns a new move right away after evolving? Like Monferno learning Mach Punch right after it evolves, or Torterra learning Earthquake. Since they only learn those moves at that level of evolution, it would help so that way the move isn't accidentally skipped due to leveling up too fast. At least, that would make sense to me. But I would vouch for a mid-battle evolution, even if it makes it a little unfair for the NPCs. But I think it would be cool if they did that.

So I'm not very much for or against, but some of the arguments here are pretty, well stupid.
1) It wouldn't be hard to program
I'm not a very skilled programmer at all (and I'm assuming most of you aren't either), but I can give you an idea of how it would work, and yes, I know that no compiler in the world would be able to produce anything from this.
Let's say we go from this:
(The Pokemon KO's the opponent)
Code:
if (level == 100) skip to next event, else; 
add [given EXP] to [current EXP];
if ([new current EXP] == [required EXP]) level up; 
else skip to next event;
if ([current level] == [move level]) ask for [move] to be learned;
else skip to next event;
return to battle;
to this
Code:
if (level == 100) skip to next event, else; 
add [given EXP] to [current EXP];
if ([new current EXP] == [required EXP]) level up; 
else skip to next event;
if ([current level] == [move level]) ask for [move] to be learned;
else skip to next event;
if ([current level] == [evolution level]) start evolution process;
else skip to next event; 
return to battle;
As opposed to have the game check all Pokemon that leveled up during the battle after the battle ends to see if any of them can evolve.

2)It wouldn't give us an unfair advantage, evolution does not cure status or heal your Pokemon now, why would it in-battle?

3)It wouldn't be hard to program in the EXP change for the CPU, also the size of the catridge are up form 512MB to a max of 8GB, there are plenty of space, but I still don't think the NPCs will get to gain EXP.

I selected "Other" simply because I'd only want Level/Friendship based evolution during battles. I think using evolution items mid-battle would be unfair and quite silly.

Everyone's worried about it being unfair on NPCs, but they're missing the point.

The point of Pokémon is going out, getting some friends and playing with them. Pokémon is a very multiplayer game.

I'm sitting on the fence here. I see no reason why not, and it'd turn the tide of battle, but I personally don't see it happening, at least any time soon...

YES! I've been wanting that for so long! Don't see why Pokemon in the anime evolve during battles 90% of the time, but we still can't do the same in the games. Most arguements against it are invalid anyway.

Reason, I voted yes because it happens in the anime so, why not games? And no, I'm not saying you should be allowed to use items such as rare candies. I don't think GF would ever allow it to happen. Just imagine 3D poke evolution awesome. I don't understand why people are so against the idea.

It would be an awesome feature to have in the new games, but given the circumstances I doubt it will happen...
I'm not a person that would die without Pokémon evolving during Battle... It would also just be a long process to conquer for the creators of the games.
In all though, with what we've seen so far, I could see it happening in the near future (perhaps the games after these), when GameFreak has become greater than it already is. Also, if this does happen; I expect it to only be Pokémon evolving by exp/level that should evolve in mid-battle...

Well, I prefer having it as a battle winning reward, but it wouldn't really matter much to me. Only for level up evolving Pokémon, though, if it does happen.

And remember, games=/= anime.

But I REALLY can't wait to see the evolution animation for these games.

I'd love it. It could change the whole course of a tough battle in the games. So, Wynaut do it that way?

For people who are against it, picture this, you only have one poke left with minimum HP just having beat your opponents 2/3 giving your Pokemon enough EXP to gain a lvl and no potions, but wait "what's this my Pokemon is evolving? "And in mid battle?" Now you just might stand a chance to win the next battle

Darn... I actually answered the poll with "No" at first, but then actually thought about it about a second after I submitted my answer. It really doesn't make much sense to have it after the battles, especially since it seems like they would be fully capable of including an evolution sequence on the battle field with these graphics and the experience to make it work with the mechanics of the battle.

It would be amazing having this new 'change' . In the anime we see that during the battle the pokemon can evolve , and since playing with pokemon games of the 3rd gen. ruby , I have wondered why they didn't applied in these games this way of evolution?. It would really be exciting to watch the pokemon evolve during a battle. I think that is the most necessary or fantastic thing that they could include or apply in these games. I really expect these games to be more cool then the previous ones. PLEASE it would be great , apply this change :))

I believe the best way to implement evolution during battle would be to follow these simple rules.

-Pokemon can only evolve between rounds thru level up. The player cannot use an item from their Bag to invoke evolution at any point during a battle. *However, a pokemon that evolves after exposure to an item (fire stone, ect) can evolve between rounds if they were given the item to hold PRIOR to battle.

-As for NPC pokemon evolution, it shouldnt require the actual gaining of experience points, but rather a pre-set trigger. If the NPCs Charmander is at level 15 and defeats ONE of your pokemon, it will evolve into Charmeleon between rounds and be at level 16. Not all NPC pokemon will be programmed to evolve and gain a level, only certain ones throughout the game that have been programmed to do so.

I can imagine a very dynamic animation during evolution on the battlefield, quicker than current postbattle evolution animations... and more epic

It always annoyed me that once you reach the level to evolve, it won't do so until the battle is over. Sometimes, I can make it gain a whole other level during the battle and that can screw up moves I want to learn. Yes, I know that the move relearner makes that moot now, but the items that he asks for are still a hassle to get at times. On the other hand, one of the aspects I hate about this in the anime is that one can depend on the evolution to save your butt. This matter is fairly moot to me since one can simply use potions and ethers or some kind of power enhancers anyway. In my experience, evolution doesn't starkly increase the abilities you have. In fact, it vaguely makes any difference other than in a lot of cases, the stats gained through a new form are far superior to the previous one. Nonetheless, evolution doesn't really make that much of a difference in the instances I've experienced. Calling anything unfair in the context of in game seems like a useless gesture. (although I can argue that this game is unfair IN GENERAL, casual or competitive) My thoughts are that it would be neat, but I can't determine if it would be a good thing or not.

I'm indifferent. It would be cool if they implemented it but I wouldn't even be slightly disappointed if they didn't put it in.

That would make things really exciting.

I doubt it'll happen because of the aforementioned technical limitations, though.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom