• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want the games available for PC format??

PC format - yes or no?

• YES!! PC would be awesome!

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • No - they're best with consoles

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • [s]there are emulators[/s]

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
Aside from ROM emulation, I don't think there should be a Pokemon PC game. Aside from capacity for better graphics (of course, it depends on individual PC specs) and better online play, there really isn't any reason to do PC when Nintendo has gotten the formula down pat on consoles and handhelds. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having to update at all is enough of a problem for me. The only reason I get Nintendo handhelds is for the Pokemon games.

Then that is a personal issue, not something that Nintendo is going to address. Eventually, updating will become mandatory as technology improves. PCs come and go just like consoles.

Not everyone uses or owns a console. On the other hand, pretty much everyone uses a PC. Other than the improved graphics capacity and such, the franchise becomes more widely accessible to everyone.

Also with a PC, at least you have a wide choice of games to choose from whenever you've finished with one of them, whereas for consoles, the choice is so darn limited.

Never. An important aspect of pokémon is the portability and convenience. You can just bring your dudes along with you and train or something anytime, anywhere.

It's the main reason why I find playing Pokemon in emulators isn't really like in a hanheld. It is nowhere as personal.

A Pokémon game on PC? sure. Though I don't see that happening officially ever. But the main games really aren't for that.

I know posting about ROMS is against the rules, but you can play online i guess technically with them. You just need a good emulator, and a working good rom. Takes time sometimes to find a working rom, but usually it's not that hard to find one.

But, I'm guessing you meant like available on Steam or something like that? With that in mind, I say yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted "other".
Past games, it doesn't really matter to me... future games, no.
Nintendo has never focused on using the PC as a gaming platform. If they do start, I would not like to see it done to a well-established franchise like Pokémon... the first game would no-doubt be gimmicky / a general test to see what can be accomplished on the PC / and it wouldn't fully take advantage of the PC since it would be thier first game and they have no experience.
And I'd rather not see them get into PC games... PC games really depend on the PC itself. They can perform better or worse depending on your RAM, video card, etc... even my new computer is not capable of handling a certain game I bought (and I'm not really into PC games so I don't know if it's just the game or if games in general won't work well on it). Anyway, Pokémon games won't be as processor-intense (at least the way they are at this point), but there's no doubt that they'll begin adding features and whatnot... if the games ever go 3D then it's possible my computer won't be able to handle it. And they'd need to make a PC version along with a Mac version.
And the handheld systems do have the advantage of portability. Not to mention the 3DS can make the 3D images literally appear to have depth, which cannot be accomplished on the PC without 3D glasses of some sort.
Also I find that holding a handheld or a controller has a different (and better, in my opinion) feel than using keys on a keyboard.

Not everyone uses or owns a console. On the other hand, pretty much everyone uses a PC. Other than the improved graphics capacity and such, the franchise becomes more widely accessible to everyone.

Also with a PC, at least you have a wide choice of games to choose from whenever you've finished with one of them, whereas for consoles, the choice is so darn limited.

Actually, most people probably do have at least 1 console in their home. I find it very hard to believe in this day that most families do not have a game console of some sort. Video games are no longer simply for children either, more adults seem to be gaming these days as well.

Video games are already widely accessible. All you have to do is go to a Walmart and you'll find most of the popular games there, not all of them, but most of them. And I can promise you they'll have Pokemon games.

I don't understand your argument about game choices being limited on consoles. Only when a console is new are there ever limitations. Once new games starting coming out, that problem is over.

And think about this. What if your PC gets a virus? Then what? You just lost your game data, or maybe even your PC!

Actually, most people probably do have at least 1 console in their home. I find it very hard to believe in this day that most families do not have a game console of some sort. Video games are no longer simply for children either, more adults seem to be gaming these days as well.

Video games are already widely accessible. All you have to do is go to a Walmart and you'll find most of the popular games there, not all of them, but most of them. And I can promise you they'll have Pokemon games.

I don't understand your argument about game choices being limited on consoles. Only when a console is new are there ever limitations. Once new games starting coming out, that problem is over.

And think about this. What if your PC gets a virus? Then what? You just lost your game data, or maybe even your PC!

What if a ds loses it battery power. its screen gets broken, etc? Without even a figment of doubt, i will say that a pc is more versatile than a console. A console is there for gaming and maybe a couple of other stuff. With a pc, you can do a lot more.

I would love to see Pokemon games over computers. You can even keep portability intact by using laptops, ipads etc.

What if a ds loses it battery power. its screen gets broken, etc? Without even a figment of doubt, i will say that a pc is more versatile than a console. A console is there for gaming and maybe a couple of other stuff. With a pc, you can do a lot more.

I would love to see Pokemon games over computers. You can even keep portability intact by using laptops, ipads etc.

What could a PC give to the Pokemon franchise that the DS or 3DS or Wii doesn't already give it? Most consoles have evolved to include many features beyond just gaming, including Internet browsing. Also, remember what Pokemon are: Pocket Monsters! Meaning, you are supposed to be able to take them with you. If they were stuck on a PC, Pokemon wouldn't be as fun.

What could a PC give to the Pokemon franchise that the DS or 3DS or Wii doesn't already give it? Most consoles have evolved to include many features beyond just gaming, including Internet browsing. Also, remember what Pokemon are: Pocket Monsters! Meaning, you are supposed to be able to take them with you. If they were stuck on a PC, Pokemon wouldn't be as fun.

PC will give Pokemon a wider audience. Plain and simple. There are more people with pc than ds. I know so many people IRL who have always wanted to play the mons but never had the console.

Again, I talked about portable computers. You can carry them around. As for "being fun", that is just an opinion, which will change from person to person..

PC will give Pokemon a wider audience. Plain and simple. There are more people with pc than ds. I know so many people IRL who have always wanted to play the mons but never had the console.

Again, I talked about portable computers. You can carry them around. As for "being fun", that is just an opinion, which will change from person to person..

Pokemon already has a wide audience. Everyone from kids to adults play Pokemon. The only issue I see is that people don't want to pay for a console, so they think putting everything on 1 device solves the problem. If people want to play Pokemon, they should save up and buy a DS/3DS or whatever handheld they want. I see no benefit in Pokemon jumping to PCs. Pokemon should stay on consoles because the consoles themselves improve with each new installment that is introduced and they are always worth the investment.

Also, a portable computer doesn't fit into your pocket, which against takes away from the name Pocket Monster.

Pokemon already has a wide audience. Everyone from kids to adults play Pokemon. The only issue I see is that people don't want to pay for a console, so they think putting everything on 1 device solves the problem. If people want to play Pokemon, they should save up and buy a DS/3DS or whatever handheld they want. I see no benefit in Pokemon jumping to PCs. Pokemon should stay on consoles because the consoles themselves improve with each new installment that is introduced and they are always worth the investment.

Also, a portable computer doesn't fit into your pocket, which against takes away from the name Pocket Monster.

We are talking about an even wider audience than now.

"Those who donot want to buy a console" will simply use pirated stuff. A person who cannot afford or get the ds will use pirated stuff. On the other hand almost every person has a pc. More people can play on pc than ds. And pcs improve faster than consoles. A pc is actually a better investment than a console, anyday.

A nintendo wii doesn't fit into a pocket either and yet it has "pocket monsters" games. What's in a name?

"Those who donot want to buy a console" will simply use pirated stuff. A person who cannot afford or get the ds will use pirated stuff. On the other hand almost every person has a pc. More people can play on pc than ds. And pcs improve faster than consoles. A pc is actually a better investment than a console, anyday.

A nintendo wii doesn't fit into a pocket either and yet it has "pocket monsters" games. What's in a name?

Pokemon is known worldwide, so I don't know how you go forward from there. PCs also become obsolete faster than consoles.

More people have cell phones than PCs. It would make much more sense to allow the games to be compatible with cell phones since even 6 year olds have cell phones now.

And people who play the PC version pirate as well. If anything, having them on PC makes pirating easier and the temptation to pirate greater. All you'd have to do is download it. With consoles, I don't believe it's quite that easy. Pirating will occur either way. But if they games are on the PC, more will pirate just to avoid paying. I've already talked to oen person who was so excited about B2/W2 because he knew he could download them for free. Pirating is already easy, it doesn't need to be easier.

The main series Pokemon games do not run on the Wii, but on the DS and all its other incarnations. Those DO fit in your pocket.

Pokemon is extra, we don't NEED Pokemon in our daily lives, so treating it like it is something important won't change anything. Nintendo isn't worried about people who can't afford their products, they want to reel in people with money to spend, so they make fancy gadgets like the 3DS to bring in customers. It's a better deal for Nintendo to produce games for their own consoles and we get unique features such as handheld 3D gameplay and interaction.

As I've seen posted in different threads, I'll post it here as well: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pokemon is known worldwide, so I don't know how you go forward from there.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. And yes, read what I said properly. Pokemon can expand even further. There is always room for improvement.

PCs also become obsolete faster than consoles.
huh, you just took what I said and twisted according to your needs. Firstly, consoles turn obsolete before pcs. Why? becuase, pcs upgrade faster than consoles. As far as performance is concerned, a pc outranks a console anyday. Same with versatility. Ps 2 and nds remain the same for 10 years. The same is not true with pc. Pcs upgrade very rapidly.

More people have cell phones than PCs. It would make much more sense to allow the games to be compatible with cell phones since even 6 year olds have cell phones now.

You are shooting your argument here by saying games should be on cell-phone. In-short you are agreeing that games should be on other devices than ds.

And people who play the PC version pirate as well. If anything, having them on PC makes pirating easier and the temptation to pirate greater. All you'd have to do is download it. With consoles, I don't believe it's quite that easy. Pirating will occur either way. But if they games are on the PC, more will pirate just to avoid paying. I've already talked to oen person who was so excited about B2/W2 because he knew he could download them for free. Pirating is already easy, it doesn't need to be easier.

The temptation to pirate is actually greater when you know you can't games legitly. I have known more people who pirate console games since they can't buy the console.

It is already easy to pirate Pokemon games. It won't get "easier".

The main series Pokemon games do not run on the Wii, but on the DS and all its other incarnations. Those DO fit in your pocket.

You didn't get my point. You are trying to say that Pokemon should stay portable. My reply is that some games are already not portable. Again, those who want to play portable games, can play on ds. And those who can't get should get the option to play on pc. I am not insulting you here, but "they should stay on hand-helds because they are called Pocket Monsters" is very poor logic.

Pokemon is extra, we don't NEED Pokemon in our daily lives, so treating it like it is something important won't change anything. Nintendo isn't worried about people who can't afford their products, they want to reel in people with money to spend, so they make fancy gadgets like the 3DS to bring in customers. It's a better deal for Nintendo to produce games for their own consoles and we get unique features such as handheld 3D gameplay and interaction.

Frankly, I can only read the words "elitism" coming here. GF should exploit the pc market because it has potential and because it is something that can grow. As far as consumer satisfaction is concerned, nintendo can again provide games to a wider segment of people.

Again nobody is opposed to console gaming. Consoles can come and go and people can play on them if they want to. The argument is whether the games should expand to pcs and I feel yes. It would be a great expansion to the franchise.

As I've seen posted in different threads, I'll post it here as well: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And that is one the most failed arguments I read everyday in the fandom. As a consumer, I have every right to ask for better quality games. Simply stagnating never helps. The fact that gf brings in major changes every gen like the physical / special split, breeding, etc. inspite of games selling like hotcakes speaks volumes how wrong the argument is. I'll repeat, there is always a scope for improvement and definitely no room for sitting satisfied with what currently exists.

Actually, no. There might be a a significant percentage of people that own consoles in certain countries, but considering worldwide, I doubt even a 1% of people actually own them. For example, Nintendo isn't even prominent here. Only a select few cities (and even in there, only a few places) actually sell the consoles or games and it isn't even heard of anywhere else. For most of us, you'll have to ship the consoles over if you want to play and every time you want to play a new game, you'll have to ship that over as well.

While for a PC, everything is so readily available. New games, new upgrades, everything. You're also stuck with the consoles until they release a new version while you can upgrade the PCs anytime depending on our requirements.

You'll get a hell lot of new consumers for the games compared to now, it's not even funny...

The only issue I see is that people don't want to pay for a console, so they think putting everything on 1 device solves the problem.

Wait, so putting the main games on one device is an issue, but having them stuck on the DS/3DS isn't? The Nintendo handheld devices are still one "device" if you will compared to PCs. The main difference is that you could have a Pokémon game on a PC, a laptop, a tablet, etc. It's a lot more versatile than the Nintendo consoles.

If people want to play Pokemon, they should save up and buy a DS/3DS or whatever handheld they want.

But as you've said before, they can't buy whatever handheld they want, as its only available for Nintendo handhelds. If I want to play Black and White, I have to get a DS or a 3DS, not a handheld that I would actually want.

I see no benefit in Pokemon jumping to PCs. Pokemon should stay on consoles because the consoles themselves improve with each new installment that is introduced and they are always worth the investment.

As other users have said earlier in this thread, they don't actually play any other Nintendo-franchises games. If the only game they play is Pokémon, then they've just spent £150+ on a console they'll only use for one purpose, so it isn't always an investment. In this economic climate, I'm not spending a stupid amount to play one game.
There's also whether you'd actually use the features a console provides. My PS3 has a web browser but why would I use it when its hard to navigate with a PS3 controller? Why would I browse the internet on my Wii when I have to point and click each letter individually to access a website?

The investment argument doesn't work because it doesn't take into account fans who only want to play Pokémon and nothing else that the console can offer.

What do you think about an Android/iPhone version? I'd like it.

I remember there was a Pokédex at the Android Market, but it was removed.

@commandurrClowncrete & @ J J M

I just noticed something that changes things a bit. Judging by your locations, you are both from India. I don't know much about how Nintendo operates there, but in the US, things are very different.

Where you guys live, consoles may be rare, but in Japan and I KNOW in the United States, consoles are very common. In fact, I think most people have multiple consoles in their homes. Nintendo's main market includes its own and the US market simply because people have more money to spend, or are more willing to spend it. They're going to make games and consoles for the people that want to buy them. Several of you have said that you don't like buying new consoles, which is basically telling Nintendo that their product isn't worth it. Though, I do understand that living in an area where gaming isn't as big as it is in US is rough, but Nintendo is advertising to the places it knows will help their products be successful.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Nintendo has been successful for years marketing the way it has been, and the Pokemon franchise is one of the most popular series of games there is. They're not going to abandon a method that has given them good results to try something new.

The thing about the games being on cell phones was about the claim that more people have PCs than consoles. I just meant that theoretically, it would be better to just put them on phones, but I personally hate this idea.

Pirating is more likely, not when it's difficult to find something, but when it is far easier to obtain it. Some piracy comes from not being able to find something, but most of it is simply to get it for free. If it's easy to obtain without having to pay for it, people will steal it. Though, this may be different in your part of the world. Here, people steal anything they can.

And just because the potential for improvement is there, doesn't mean the games will do better on PCs. If your computer's memory is low, it might affect game play, where on a console, you won't have that issue. It's best to just leave the games where they are.

Our views come from 2 very different worlds. I can see why you'd think that Pokemon on the PC would be a good idea, because it would help people in your country be able to play these games when consoles aren't easy to come by. But in places like the US, it would just open the door to be taken advantage of. It's not a perfect presentation, but Nintendo would be wise to stay with the plan they have now.

But as you've said before, they can't buy whatever handheld they want, as its only available for Nintendo handhelds. If I want to play Black and White, I have to get a DS or a 3DS, not a handheld that I would actually want.

As other users have said earlier in this thread, they don't actually play any other Nintendo-franchises games. If the only game they play is Pokémon, then they've just spent £150+ on a console they'll only use for one purpose, so it isn't always an investment. In this economic climate, I'm not spending a stupid amount to play one game.
There's also whether you'd actually use the features a console provides. My PS3 has a web browser but why would I use it when its hard to navigate with a PS3 controller? Why would I browse the internet on my Wii when I have to point and click each letter individually to access a website?

The investment argument doesn't work because it doesn't take into account fans who only want to play Pokémon and nothing else that the console can offer.

In other words, you'd like to be able to play Pokemon on something like a PSP? Won't happen, and shouldn't happen. It's a Nintendo game made for Nintendo consoles.

I also highly doubt that Nintendo is going to change things for people who are only interested in one franchise. They would never change things for just Pokemon. If you don't want to spend that much money to play a game, then you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to play the game. Fun stuff costs money. The more fun it is, the more it's going to cost. That's the way it is and it isn't going to change. Nintendo wants the customers that frequently buy their products, not people who only buy once every year or 2.

What do you think about an Android/iPhone version? I'd like it.

I remember there was a Pokédex at the Android Market, but it was removed.

No. Phones already control everything, even cars. Leave the games on the game consoles.

The Pokemon Company never approved any of the Pokedex apps on the Android Market. All were guilty of Copyright Violations and were taken down.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom