• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want the games available for PC format??

PC format - yes or no?

• YES!! PC would be awesome!

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • No - they're best with consoles

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • [s]there are emulators[/s]

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
In other words, you'd like to be able to play Pokemon on something like a PSP? Won't happen, and shouldn't happen. It's a Nintendo game made for Nintendo consoles.

*facepalm*
Here is what you said earlier:

If people want to play Pokemon, they should save up and buy a DS/3DS or whatever handheld they want.

So you're saying that people should buy a handheld if they want to buy Pokémon, but now you're saying it shouldn't be on the PSP, which is a handheld. Not once did I say I want it on a PSP, you were the one who brought that argument into this thread.

I also highly doubt that Nintendo is going to change things for people who are only interested in one franchise. They would never change things for just Pokemon. If you don't want to spend that much money to play a game, then you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to play the game. Fun stuff costs money. The more fun it is, the more it's going to cost. That's the way it is and it isn't going to change. Nintendo wants the customers that frequently buy their products, not people who only buy once every year or 2.

One game is not worth the original game price and the console price.
There are also several successful game franchises which don't restrict themselves to one console. Call of Duty, GTA, Assassin's Creed, etc. It isn't some foreign unknown concept. Game Freak as far as I know could always not sign a Nintendo-exlusive contract whenever signing rights come up. Of course Nintendo will make a good offer to try and keep one of its cash cows but if Masuda ever wants to increase the amount of people who have access to Pokémon then he'll need to branch out one day.

*facepalm*
Here is what you said earlier:

If people want to play Pokemon, they should save up and buy a DS/3DS or whatever handheld they want.

So you're saying that people should buy a handheld if they want to buy Pokémon, but now you're saying it shouldn't be on the PSP, which is a handheld. Not once did I say I want it on a PSP, you were the one who brought that argument into this thread.

And here is what you said:

But as you've said before, they can't buy whatever handheld they want, as its only available for Nintendo handhelds. If I want to play Black and White, I have to get a DS or a 3DS, not a handheld that I would actually want.

You are clearly suggesting Pokemon being available outside of Nintendo handhelds. I wasn't suggesting specifically the PSP or any other non-Nintendo handheld in my original post. I used it later as an example.

One game is not worth the original game price and the console price.

That is solely your opinion on the games and consoles. Early on, the Wii was the most successful console in sales. Most people were fine with paying for those consoles and all the games they played.

There are also several successful game franchises which don't restrict themselves to one console. Call of Duty, GTA, Assassin's Creed, etc. It isn't some foreign unknown concept. Game Freak as far as I know could always not sign a Nintendo-exlusive contract whenever signing rights come up. Of course Nintendo will make a good offer to try and keep one of its cash cows but if Masuda ever wants to increase the amount of people who have access to Pokémon then he'll need to branch out one day.

Game Freak COULD do it, but they have no reason to because Pokemon is a success without it. It comes down to choice. You can't mix and match to get your way. If you want to play Pokemon, by a Nintendo console. If GF really thought Pokemon would do better on other platforms as well, they would have changed plans years ago.

Think of the audience, though. The target of pokémon games is basically kids and Nintendo fans. For both of which the company's portable markets to as well, and the vast mayority do have.

So it'd make no sense to "expand the audience" if all those with ipods and PC and PSP aren't part of the audience. They DO overlap, but those cases already do have the console.

It makes perfect sense for someone who wants to play pokemon to buy the system; a case where someone wants the game but doesn't want the DS would be a very rare one that absolutely wouldn't outweight the implications of having it for PC or whatever

@commandurrClowncrete & @ J J M

I just noticed something that changes things a bit. Judging by your locations, you are both from India. I don't know much about how Nintendo operates there, but in the US, things are very different.

Where you guys live, consoles may be rare, but in Japan and I KNOW in the United States, consoles are very common. In fact, I think most people have multiple consoles in their homes. Nintendo's main market includes its own and the US market simply because people have more money to spend, or are more willing to spend it. They're going to make games and consoles for the people that want to buy them. Several of you have said that you don't like buying new consoles, which is basically telling Nintendo that their product isn't worth it. Though, I do understand that living in an area where gaming isn't as big as it is in US is rough, but Nintendo is advertising to the places it knows will help their products be successful.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Nintendo has been successful for years marketing the way it has been, and the Pokemon franchise is one of the most popular series of games there is. They're not going to abandon a method that has given them good results to try something new.

The thing about the games being on cell phones was about the claim that more people have PCs than consoles. I just meant that theoretically, it would be better to just put them on phones, but I personally hate this idea.

Pirating is more likely, not when it's difficult to find something, but when it is far easier to obtain it. Some piracy comes from not being able to find something, but most of it is simply to get it for free. If it's easy to obtain without having to pay for it, people will steal it. Though, this may be different in your part of the world. Here, people steal anything they can.

And just because the potential for improvement is there, doesn't mean the games will do better on PCs. If your computer's memory is low, it might affect game play, where on a console, you won't have that issue. It's best to just leave the games where they are.

Our views come from 2 very different worlds. I can see why you'd think that Pokemon on the PC would be a good idea, because it would help people in your country be able to play these games when consoles aren't easy to come by. But in places like the US, it would just open the door to be taken advantage of. It's not a perfect presentation, but Nintendo would be wise to stay with the plan they have now.

So basically concentrate on a few countries and ignore all the other potential consumers they're missing out on? Why not at least try to expand their market by allowing the games to be playable on different systems, not just the DS and such?

So basically concentrate on a few countries and ignore all the other potential consumers they're missing out on? Why not at least try to expand their market by allowing the games to be playable on different systems, not just the DS and such?

As bad as it sounds, that's right. Those "few countries" are where the majority of gamers are. Nintendo will go to where the profit is to keep themselves in business. Seeing as how Pokemon is in its 5th generation, they know what they're doing. Like I said before, it's not perfect but it leads to success.

Game Freak works exclusively for Nintendo. They aren't going to make games for other systems.

I'll add some thoughts here:
Nintendo will never do this unless they completely abandon the hardware business. Pokemon is a first-party franchise. Nothing groundbreaking here.

Expanding to other consoles would increase accessibility of the franchise, but this doesn't matter because of the first paragraph. If the main games were ported (or if new multi-console games were made), they would probably best work on the smartphone platforms. You probably wouldn't have to fuss with the resolution much and the games would not be hurt by the lack of buttons.

It's also hard for me to consider how many people Nintendo is some how missing out on by keeping Pokemon a first-party franchise given how massive the sales for the Pokemon games are.

Why not at least try to expand their market by allowing the games to be playable on different systems, not just the DS and such?
Because the cost of expanding their market is selling less DSs at the expense of a minority. The games they could potentially sell simply don't outweight the consoles they sell this way.

And a collective of exclusives IS what sells consoles in the end. Most Pokémon players will be interested in other exclusives, like Zelda and such, which will make them buy the system.
And Pokémon will ALWAYS be a Nintendo exclusive.

It's also hard for me to consider how many people Nintendo is some how missing out on by keeping Pokemon a first-party franchise given how massive the sales for the Pokemon games are.
That's because the sale of a new generation Pokémon game basically ensures the sale of a system, if the player doesn't already own one (each new Pokémon generation except V has been made specifically for a different system). Meaning if you bought one game from each geneation, you'd have some variant of the GameBoy, the GameBoy Advance, the DS, and in the next generation the 3DS. And that's not the only effect it has... once someone buys the system then he now has access to the Nintendo-exclusive games that he won't find anywhere else. So for example, a Pokémon fan who has never played Mario is more likely to play Mario than somone who doesn't own a DS / have access to Mario. If Pokémon was for PSP then it won't attract customers to the Mario games, or the Zelda games (well, these are bad examples since they are very popular on their own, but what I'm saying is if they weren't then Pokémon could really boost their sales).
Then we have the issue of "what system works best with the game?" Pokémon is a family-oriented game... Nintendo is a family-oriented system. PlayStation and XBox are not. It is more likely that the target audience would be Nintendo fans anyway.
And also, there may be some sort of company loyalty going on. I believe that Satoshi Tajiri knew Shigeru Miyamoto on a personal level, so he'd probably rather support Nintendo over Sony. Not sure if this is what's going on at all, but it's possible.

That depends. Do I want to see Kosher, better looking, more user friendly versions of PWO and Pokemon essentials fuck yeah.

Man series games with slightly better online not worth it I like my 3DS

I haven't thought about it to be honest, but it might be interesting to play a Pokemon game on PC format. I voted "Other" because I can't really say that I would want that one way, or the other.

@voicerocker

I just noticed something that changes things a bit. Judging by your locations, you are both from India. I don't know much about how Nintendo operates there, but in the US, things are very different.Where you guys live, consoles may be rare, but in Japan and I KNOW in the United States, consoles are very common. In fact, I think most people have multiple consoles in their homes. Nintendo's main market includes its own and the US market simply because people have more money to spend, or are more willing to spend it. They're going to make games and consoles for the people that want to buy them. Several of you have said that you don't like buying new consoles, which is basically telling Nintendo that their product isn't worth it. Though, I do understand that living in an area where gaming isn't as big as it is in US is rough, but Nintendo is advertising to the places it knows will help their products be successful.

Firstly, I dislike this "stereotyping by nation" even though I have a feeling that you don't mean harm. India has a massive number of gamers and that is increasing daily. By sheer population, I can say that we have more gamers than some European countries. And that is precisely why, Sony and Microsoft are marketing the Playstation and X-box series here and are doing it successfully. Nintendo lags behind thanks to poor marketing and equally poor games.

If I say that Playstation games are actually better than Nintendo games here in the forums, I am going to be flamed since we have far too many Nintendo fangasmers here. However having played both, I know what the truth is.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Nintendo has been successful for years marketing the way it has been, and the Pokemon franchise is one of the most popular series of games there is. They're not going to abandon a method that has given them good results to try something new.

Firstly, let me tell you that 20 years back, there was no Sony or X-box to compete with Nintendo. They had competition from what? Sega?
The times have changed. You change with the times or die. Simple.

Game freak is not the biggest game creating company either. EA, for example, is doing far better. Why? Because there games are made for multiple consoles.

The thing about the games being on cell phones was about the claim that more people have PCs than consoles. I just meant that theoretically, it would be better to just put them on phones, but I personally hate this idea.

So, thats your personal feeling. I dislike the ds but that doesn't change the fact that it is a fairly successful console. Similarly, mobiles are here to stay and Mobile gaming is increasing.

Pirating is more likely, not when it's difficult to find something, but when it is far easier to obtain it. Some piracy comes from not being able to find something, but most of it is simply to get it for free. If it's easy to obtain without having to pay for it, people will steal it. Though, this may be different in your part of the world. Here, people steal anything they can.

I have already refuted your claim here. Piracy of Nintendo games is high and easy already. Having games on Computers won't change that.

And just because the potential for improvement is there, doesn't mean the games will do better on PCs. If your computer's memory is low, it might affect game play, where on a console, you won't have that issue.

lol, now I am gonna use Sarcasm. Cool story bro. You haven't taken into account how computers actually have more capabilities than consoles.

It's best to just leave the games where they are.

And that is bias. I have already pointed out the benefits of PC gaming. If you dislike PC gaming, so be it. That doesn't change the fact that PC gaming is a viable market.

Our views come from 2 very different worlds. I can see why you'd think that Pokemon on the PC would be a good idea, because it would help people in your country be able to play these games when consoles aren't easy to come by. But in places like the US, it would just open the door to be taken advantage of. It's not a perfect presentation, but Nintendo would be wise to stay with the plan they have now.

lol, please do me a favor and don't use your "I am from a different world" card. You haven't once told me why Nintendo should stick to the same thing when the competition and times are clearly changing.

In other words, you'd like to be able to play Pokemon on something like a PSP? Won't happen, and shouldn't happen. It's a Nintendo game made for Nintendo consoles.

Again you just ignore Iteru's point and take everything at face-value. He is clearly saying that consoles are far less capable then PCs. You have literally closed your eyes to the fact.

I also highly doubt that Nintendo is going to change things for people who are only interested in one franchise. They would never change things for just Pokemon. If you don't want to spend that much money to play a game, then you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to play the game. Fun stuff costs money. The more fun it is, the more it's going to cost. That's the way it is and it isn't going to change.

And that boldened part is so hilarious that I can't control my laughter. Don't tell other users that they should stop playing just "because they can't afford it".

Nintendo wants the customers that frequently buy their products, not people who only buy once every year or 2.

And who told you that? Are you some Nintendo employee? Or someone who knows about Nintendo's strategies?

No. Phones already control everything, even cars. Leave the games on the game consoles.

Again that is just an opinion and not an argument.

The Pokemon Company never approved any of the Pokedex apps on the Android Market. All were guilty of Copyright Violations and were taken down.

You already answered yourself here. They were taken down because they broke the laws. Not because they were failures.

I may be incorrect about this, but aren't most consoles/handhelds usually sold at a loss, so that more people can buy the consoles and therefore increase the sale of games? I was always under the impression that the games were what really brought in the profits, so releasing Pokemon games on the PC should be highly profitable for Nintendo (if they were still the publisher for the computer games).

I don't want Nintendo games in PC format. I hate downloading a lot of stuff onto my computer (makes it run slower), and I'm on the computer enough as it is XD

Plus I like the greater portability of the DS/3DS over a laptop.

[mention]CommandurrClowncrete[/mention]-
Chill out. Obviously he wasn't making a stereotype... he was just pointing out that the 2 people who were saying things that are completely opposite to how things are in America are both from India. So things must be different there.

Nintendo lags behind thanks to poor marketing and equally poor games.

If I say that Playstation games are actually better than Nintendo games here in the forums, I am going to be flamed since we have far too many Nintendo fangasmers here. However having played both, I know what the truth is.
You criticize him for using his opinion rather than facts, yet you do the same thing?

Game freak is not the biggest game creating company either. EA, for example, is doing far better. Why? Because there games are made for multiple consoles.
Why is a big gaming company any better than a smaller one? All he said is that Pokémon is one of the most popular games there is, which is completely true. EA doesn't have a single game as popular as Pokémon.
And besides, you can't even really compare the two. Pokémon is for a broad audience of kids to adults, EA games are mostly for an older audience.

lol, now I am gonna use Sarcasm. Cool story bro. You haven't taken into account how computers actually have more capabilities than consoles.
You're forgetting that gaming consoles are made specifically for playing games, PCs are not. From my experience almost every new game out there assumes you have these gaming computers with maxxed out RAM, video card, etc. that are made for the purpose of handling games. Most computers aren't like that... most games run slowly or not at all on most computers. You can't say that about a console... every game for every console runs perfectly on that console.

Nintendo wants the customers that frequently buy their products, not people who only buy once every year or 2.
And who told you that? Are you some Nintendo employee? Or someone who knows about Nintendo's strategies?
That's common sense, why would Nintendo want someone to buy Pokémon and none of their other games?

No I'm gonna have to disagree with this one of the reasons I like Pokémon so much is because of its portability.

Firstly, I dislike this "stereotyping by nation" even though I have a feeling that you don't mean harm. India has a massive number of gamers and that is increasing daily. By sheer population, I can say that we have more gamers than some European countries. And that is precisely why, Sony and Microsoft are marketing the Playstation and X-box series here and are doing it successfully. Nintendo lags behind thanks to poor marketing and equally poor games.

All I was doing was comparing your description of the gaming community of India with the gaming community of the US. You said you doubted that even 1% of people owned a console. That may be true in India, and I'm not doubting you, but in the US, that is not the case. Many people have consoles and many have more than just 1 console. Consoles sell great in the US and probably in Japan to, which is probably why Nintendo doesn't reach out to India. If people in India prefer PC gaming, Nintendo isn't going to care. They'll go for the places that want consoles. You can't ask Nintendo to sell PC games, the same way you can't go into a McDonald's and ask for a Whopper, or go to Burger King and ask for a Big Mac.

You're opinion on Nintendo is also incorrect. Nintendo has been successful for years, so clearly their marketing technique is working. Right now, Wii sells are dropping because at first, the sold quickly. Now, everyone has a Wii, so no one needs them. And with PS3s going down in price, more people are finally buying them. This why they are hoping the Wii U and 3DS will make up for that. Sony and Microsoft have their own strategy, but Nintendo is after its target audience: kids and families with kids, 2 groups the Sony and Microsoft are not after. And it works for them.

Firstly, let me tell you that 20 years back, there was no Sony or X-box to compete with Nintendo. They had competition from what? Sega?
The times have changed. You change with the times or die. Simple.

When the Wii, X-box 360 and PS3 were all fresh, the Wii was selling far better. People loved the interactive gameplay of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, which is another reason why Nintendo won't be moving to PCs anytime soon. You are right, you have to change or you die...but Nintendo brings change through innovation. People loved games like Wii Sports and Mario Kart. Any game that allowed you to act out the movements of your character people loved. PCs won't let you do that. Nintendo doesn't care for the graphic quality, they are simply trying to make the games as interesting and fun as possible. They sacrifice graphics (only to a small extent) for fun, and they only keep improving.

So, thats your personal feeling. I dislike the ds but that doesn't change the fact that it is a fairly successful console. Similarly, mobiles are here to stay and Mobile gaming is increasing.

Mobile gaming is increasing, which is why Pokemon will do just fine on a portable console. People want to take their games with them to play on the go. Nintendo has been ahead of the game for years and handhelds are still popular. Even now, a 3DS is like having a mini-Wii because of all of its extra features. Phones aren't designed to play games, the games are designed to work on phones. A 3DS is made for the games it plays, meaning you get the best quality gaming experience with a console. A phone or PC will never give you the best quality experience in any game that is also available on a console.

I have already refuted your claim here. Piracy of Nintendo games is high and easy already. Having games on Computers won't change that.

Are you talking about physical piracy or digital piracy? Right now, physical piracy is the only real form of piracy Nintendo has to worry about. I doubt Wii games can even function on a PC. If the games go all digital, it will introduce a new threat to Nintendo, one that is much harder to prevent.

Not true. The Wii not only has its unique motion-sensor gameplay, but the Virtual Console is popular too. People seem to really enjoy creating Mii's and sharing them, as well as browsing the internet. Consoles have far more potential than PCs, which as far as gameplay goes, will never see motion-sensor control like the Wii.

That doesn't change the fact that PC gaming is a viable market.

It's a viable market for other companies, but not Nintendo. Nintendo's core audience is families and kids that play games together, not grown adults that play with folks online through PCs. A hamburger shack will never advertise to vegetarians.

lol, please do me a favor and don't use your "I am from a different world" card. You haven't once told me why Nintendo should stick to the same thing when the competition and times are clearly changing.

If I still haven't made my point yet, you are not a part of Nintendo's desired audience. You prefer PC gaming, Nintendo does not do PC gaming. You don't appear to be interested in buying a console, so that only gives Nintendo further reasons to not care about your opinion on how they run their business. You're basically telling them "Your products suck." You've already said you only play Pokemon, no other Nintendo title, and you don't want to buy a console. Nintendo would rather make games for people who love consoles, Pokemon, and their other games. If you were to tell them everything you've said in this thread, I can almost promise you they won't care. 1 key to staying in business: keep your regulars happy. New customers come and go, some will still, others move on. You have to protect the regulars first and foremost.

Again you just ignore Iteru's point and take everything at face-value. He is clearly saying that consoles are far less capable then PCs. You have literally closed your eyes to the fact.

See previous points. Consoles have room for innovation. PCs might upgrade, but you won't see innovation on them, on in terms of graphics or sounds, but that wouldn't be exactly "innovation". Again, there is no way a PC or even a phone(not made for gaming) can out-perform a console made specifically for gaming.

And that boldened part is so hilarious that I can't control my laughter. Don't tell other users that they should stop playing just "because they can't afford it".

I meant people that CAN afford it, but don't want to pay. But either way, it's true. I can't always go out and buy the games I want because I don't usually have any extra money. (Goes towards stuff like food, bills, gas, rent and other fun things like that.) Nintendo isn't going to change things for me just because I want to play a new game. No one else should expect special treatment either. They want people with money to spend, not broke people.

That's just Business 101: take care of your regulars. Nintendo caters to people who like Mario, not Master Chief.

You already answered yourself here. They were taken down because they broke the laws. Not because they were failures.

I was just explaining WHY they were removed in case the person who mentioned them didn't know since they remembered the app being there. That was all. But still, a portable console will provide better quality than a phone that already does a million other things.

No I'm gonna have to disagree with this one of the reasons I like Pokémon so much is because of its portability.

I sort of agree, I travel a lot, so thats when I do most of my level grinding...

I can imagine it to be pretty cool on PC, bigger screen, maybe better graphics, but can you imagine the lag? A lot of my friends laptops and desktops hate it when the Sims or something similar is running. It would be pretty awesome to have a WOW sort of thing going on though.

I dont think its ever going to happen though.

I sort of agree, I travel a lot, so thats when I do most of my level grinding...

I can imagine it to be pretty cool on PC, bigger screen, maybe better graphics, but can you imagine the lag? A lot of my friends laptops and desktops hate it when the Sims or something similar is running. It would be pretty awesome to have a WOW sort of thing going on though.

The reason of the lag is because they're playing games that take up an extremely large amount of memory space. Pokemon games don't need as much

They wouldn't lag much at all. Any decent computer can run the Sims or WoW without lag, however if your internet connection isn't very solid WoW might still lag. Pokemon isn't an MMO though, so that's not a big problem.

I don't think they'll do it (because of reasons already stated), but it would be interesting, and I wouldn't mind if they did. However, if you really do want them for the PC, you can just get an emulator. Problem solved.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom