• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want the games available for PC format??

PC format - yes or no?

• YES!! PC would be awesome!

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • No - they're best with consoles

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • [s]there are emulators[/s]

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
When dream world was first announced, for some reason, i thought that meant you would be able to upload your save file to the service and you could then actually play Black or White on the Mac/PC through the service. I wouldn't mind something like that.

I honestly pray they do not. Why? Because about 80% of my love of Pokémon gaming in the long term comes from portability. I will be working soon and I study and travel a lot. I like dedicated devices I can take with me. My computer could handle it, sure, but I don't want it to. The only games with real and consistent longevity with me are on handhelds because being able to take them with me means more than just playing them on the bus home and far more than the obsessive bursts I have with home consoles before I leave them for another while due to inconvenience. I don't like all of these combined functions we have now. I don't want lots of games and music on my phone. I believe everything has a purpose and it should do one or two things extremely well without all the bells and whistles I frankly find confusing and irritating. I want my phone to make calls and texts and run Facebook, I want my iPod to play my music and maybe some simple minigames if I'm really pushed for entertainment (or for other casual gamers), I want my Kindle to let me read books and I want my 3DS to let me game "properly". I appreciate the impressive leaps our common handheld devices have made, but as the saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none". I think everything does enough already, but of course that's not how most consumers think. I like my PC but the only gaming I want to do on it is online (and possibly The Sims purely because the best features are in PC versions).

I believe Pokémon made such an impact on me and my childhood because it fitted into my life whenever and wherever I wanted it to. That is the charm of the series and many of the spinoffs too - that it's always there, simple yet convoluted, convenient yet extensive. Lasting. In the background somewhat, yes, but with far more staying power than the games I sat up all night playing on home consoles but then forgot during my busy days when I couldn't reach for them.

The day the main series goes onto any non-Nintendo console is the day Nintendo loses my consistent loyalty. For me, it would be like selling out on the exclusive charm Nintendo and it's handheld series' have always maintained during my childhood. I'm aware that this is a choice all businesses make - exclusivity and tradition vs accessibility and potential profit - but I believe changing a trade many love and still invest in just for the sake of "moving with the times" would leave Nintendo mastering none for no good reason - at least while the fanbase is still excited for what handheld/portable game comes next.

Last edited:
One online feature I'd like would be for the Vs. Recorder to allow you to upload battle videos and view them in a browser. Uploading the videos is great but it'd be nice to watch them on the computer rather than going into the game.

If there's an MMORPG component connected to the games then I would like it to be available for PC. Maybe the DW was a little bit of an experiment going in this direction.

I honestly pray they do not. Why? Because about 80% of my love of Pokémon gaming in the long term comes from portability. I will be working soon and I study and travel a lot. I like dedicated devices I can take with me. My computer could handle it, sure, but I don't want it to. The only games with real and consistent longevity with me are on handhelds because being able to take them with me means more than just playing them on the bus home and far more than the obsessive bursts I have with home consoles before I leave them for another while due to inconvenience. I don't like all of these combined functions we have now. I don't want lots of games and music on my phone. I believe everything has a purpose and it should do one or two things extremely well without all the bells and whistles I frankly find confusing and irritating. I want my phone to make calls and texts and run Facebook, I want my iPod to play my music and maybe some simple minigames if I'm really pushed for entertainment (or for other casual gamers), I want my Kindle to let me read books and I want my 3DS to let me game "properly". I appreciate the impressive leaps our common handheld devices have made, but as the saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none". I think everything does enough already, but of course that's not how most consumers think. I like my PC but the only gaming I want to do on it is online (and possibly The Sims purely because the best features are in PC versions).

I believe Pokémon made such an impact on me and my childhood because it fitted into my life whenever and wherever I wanted it to. That is the charm of the series and many of the spinoffs too - that it's always there, simple yet convoluted, convenient yet extensive. Lasting. In the background somewhat, yes, but with far more staying power than the games I sat up all night playing on home consoles but then forgot during my busy days when I couldn't reach for them.

The day the main series goes onto any non-Nintendo console is the day Nintendo loses my consistent loyalty. For me, it would be like selling out on the exclusive charm Nintendo and it's handheld series' have always maintained during my childhood. I'm aware that this is a choice all businesses make - exclusivity and tradition vs accessibility and potential profit - but I believe changing a trade many love and still invest in just for the sake of "moving with the times" would leave Nintendo mastering none for no good reason - at least while the fanbase is still excited for what handheld/portable game comes next.

We're not talking about them moving the franchise onto PC's only, just making them available on PC's and the handheld systems. Nothing would be stopping you from continuing to play them on handhelds.

I'm aware of that. But I'm thoroughly against it anyway. I don't think any main series games in Pokémon belong on the PC at all for the above reasons and I believe the dynamics of the games and their appeal is not suited to PC gaming - which is why I will probably stop playing/buying even a quarter as much if they begin changing the successful formula of the main series purely to put in on the PC too. In all honesty, it strikes me as selling out, but that's because I don't believe Pokémon's main series belongs on anything but Nintendo handhelds and the fact that it's only on those has been to my favour and comfort so far. That's a belief that, for me, holds true unless Nintendo does it out of real financial necessity because they're not ticking over without it any more.

I voted no, because there are already people playing Pocket Monsters on PC (emulators) and you can't trade or battle with them. If the PC version could be linked to the handheld game, then I guess it wouldn't matter, as long as there still is a version of the game for DS. I wouldn't play a Pokemon game on the PC. I don't even play the Dream World game often, since uploading and downloading takes such time and I always have bad connection. Isn't there a Pokemon game already for the PC, with Pikachuu in it?

I voted no, because there are already people playing Pocket Monsters on PC (emulators) and you can't trade or battle with them. If the PC version could be linked to the handheld game, then I guess it wouldn't matter, as long as there still is a version of the game for DS. I wouldn't play a Pokemon game on the PC. I don't even play the Dream World game often, since uploading and downloading takes such time and I always have bad connection. Isn't there a Pokemon game already for the PC, with Pikachuu in it?

I don't remember if there is any authorized Pokemon game on PC featuring Pikachu. However one thing that a PC pokemon game could create is a lot more hacking.

I vote both handheld and PC/Mac. Handheld because, well, it's a handheld! PC/Mac because that would make things like Let's plays and stuff easier, without overheating your MacBook (been there, done that).

I would be interested in a Pokemon game on the PC, provided it's in the casual game format. By this, I mean not in the normal adventure format seen in the Nintendo games, but something new that differentiates it from the others. There are a couple of PC casual games that comes to mind when I am writing this:

1) Pac-man Pizza Parlor - This game is based on the Pac-man franchise, and it's an interesting spin of the time management genre from a game normally associated with eating pellets in a maze. It still have elements from those famous games, making it a case of a mixture of Pac-man and time management.
2) Tropix 2 - This game is essentially a minigame-fest, in which each minigame has several levels. When you win the level, you score currency to buy stuff, which is used to progress with the game and just for decoration. I think it is cool. Now, the reason this game comes to mind is the Dream World, which I imagine works similarly.

So, if I want a Pokemon game for the PC, it would need to cover a different genre. Tower Defence isn't a bad idea, and it's shown that it wouldn't be a bad idea, thanks to that Flash game. Time Management is tricky, because that is overused (although not quite so this time). Hidden Objects is the least likely, because I don't think it works wonderfully with Pokemon, as each creature and item has a unique look that would make them stand out a lot.

Thanks for reading.

I voted for yes but they would be able to hack esaily. But ohwhell it will make it really fun!

It wouldn't necessarily make the games "easier" to play, no. Not every household has a family computer. Not to mention that one of the biggest selling points (portability) is now gone. Unless you have a laptop, and even then, a handheld game console is lighter (and cheaper) than any laptop.

If one wants to play it on their computer badly enough, there are emulators widely available. Not to mention all of the simulators available, such as Shoddy, Pokemon Online, etc.

And as a side note, any type of software is easily "hacked" and manipulated if you know what you're doing. Be it DS, PC or otherwise.

Judging by the fact everyone on YT emulates the games, sales would go way up if it were on Steam.

I feel like the sprite based mostly 2Dish graphics used by the pokemon series is a better fit for handhelds. When I think of PC RPGs, I think of more complex graphics and full on 3D animation. Part of Pokemon's charm is its art style.

Also, I like being able to take the games anywhere and play them in small bite sized bits. Having to boot a computer and load a game everytime I wanted a battle would not lend itself well to the current pick up and play style. All in all, I feel it would change what Pokemon is about.

No way. Pokemon should just stick to handhelds. Some spin off games are good for home consoles, but not for PC's.

Why not? There are a lot of in-PC features that the games would be able to utilize. Say, faster internet (therefore making more networking activities possible) and bigger memory (the limited memory of the DS cartridge did hinder things somewhat).

Though if it does happen, I'd like it to be significantly different from the console-based games. Have it still follow the core concept, the journey, and change things a bit. Maybe add a battling style closer to the one in the anime? Integrate the trainer? There are possibilities.

Still, I really don't see this happening. The reason why Pokémon has never been released on a non-Nintendo platform is because Nintendo knows the immense value of the franchise. It knows that keeping it exclusive will only do good. It will make people buy the consoles and stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom