• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want to see the original Kanto episodes remade?

The Region 1 Pokemon DVDs are fine. It's in the UK that we have the short end of the stick, however, as we've only got here are some of the movies and Pokemon Chronicles on DVD.
I don't understand the whole concept of Region-encoding on DVDs... I mean, what's the point? VHS didn't have that problem (to my knowledge). Why create a new problem? Or if VHS did have that problem, why keep it and not fix it when DVDs were invented? On top of that, why can't they just make the DVD players universal so that even if a DVD uses a different encoding, it can still be played? If there was no regional encoding or DVD players were all able to play any DVD then people of Britain / any ther English speaking country would just be able to buy the American dub. Or anyone from any country who wants to watch the stuff in Japanese could just buy DVDs from Japan.

No, not really. Unless they inserted Paul competing (and losing) at the league as a little easter egg or something :3

Nah. I'd rather have them get the old voice actors together to do some special episodes or something... I hate the new voice actors :(

Why would that happen? You do realize that the show is produced in Japan, and the Japanese do not give a shit what happens in foreign dubs?

Yes I know, I am well aware of that fact, and I know it will never happen, but I was just saying...

The Region 1 Pokemon DVDs are fine. It's in the UK that we have the short end of the stick, however, as we've only got here are some of the movies and Pokemon Chronicles on DVD.
I don't understand the whole concept of Region-encoding on DVDs... I mean, what's the point? VHS didn't have that problem (to my knowledge). Why create a new problem? Or if VHS did have that problem, why keep it and not fix it when DVDs were invented? On top of that, why can't they just make the DVD players universal so that even if a DVD uses a different encoding, it can still be played? If there was no regional encoding or DVD players were all able to play any DVD then people of Britain / any ther English speaking country would just be able to buy the American dub. Or anyone from any country who wants to watch the stuff in Japanese could just buy DVDs from Japan.
VHS players did indeed have that problem, with various regions using the NTSC, PAL or PAL-SECAM systems. This was simply the result of a lack of standardization, however. The DVD region system was an intentional move to allow DVD producers to charge different amounts for the same product in different regions, and also to allow for different release dates. In practice, almost all standalone DVD players can be made to play all regions via a simple (and entirely legal) process. In the UK, where people commonly import American DVDs, many retailers actually sell players that have already been region hacked. So on the whole, the DVD region system is an inconvenience, but to less of an extent than the old VHS region differences were.

VHS players did indeed have that problem, with various regions using the NTSC, PAL or PAL-SECAM systems. This was simply the result of a lack of standardization, however. The DVD region system was an intentional move to allow DVD producers to charge different amounts for the same product in different regions, and also to allow for different release dates. In practice, almost all standalone DVD players can be made to play all regions via a simple (and entirely legal) process. In the UK, where people commonly import American DVDs, many retailers actually sell players that have already been region hacked. So on the whole, the DVD region system is an inconvenience, but to less of an extent than the old VHS region differences were.

Damn you beat me to it

To summarize that,its basically so there's no reverse importation. Aka competition with their prices.

Its makes plenty of sense from a buisness standpoint

Unless they somehow managed to actually remake them into something better like with an actual overarching storyline, probably not.

no no no no no. I liked the episode as they were. I wouldn't say no to seeing them re-aired, but I would hate for them to be re-made. How would they do something like that anyway?

Seconding the all of the 15 years should be remembered, not just Season 1.

(But considering the earthquake/tsunami incident last March, would something like "Tentacool and Tentacruel" fly these days in Japan? That's something I've been thinking.)
I don't see any reason why not... I mean, people are sensitive about stuff I guess, but that episode had nothing to do with the earthquake / tsunami.

There's city destruction, including a tidal wave flooding a part of the city. I honestly don't know if by now a Kanto re-release (which I relate to this thread topic by an alternate idea to remaking the Kanto episodes) would be fitting to do considering that incident.

Anything that happened in it was pure fiction

Yeah but so were the TR vs TP episodes and the banned Barboach episode.

and the episode itself was made long before the earthquake / tsunami even occured, so its not like they are taking advantage of a real-world tragedy by putting it into a popular show to make a few bucks.

They weren't trying to take advantage of the episodes I just mentioned either but they got... unshown before their time to air.

It's this kind of thinking that makes them need to change Jynx to purple... people take things and try to connect some completely unrelated meaning to it and then say it can't be shown.

But regardless of what it's based on, Jynx with its black skin does look like a racial stereotype. And it's risky to expect whoever's offended to look for or be convinced by alternate explanations.

To relate this more to the thread topic again, Jynx would have purple skin if the episodes were remade, but "Tentacool and Tentacruel"... I'm not sure what they'd do with that one.

I also figure the series would have less comedic violence and such that they wouldn't show in Pokemon today. And there'd be, like, no Japanese writing. But that's all hypothetical. Either they'd change very little, meaning legit New Kanto's only quality is that it's in HD (and I don't think that many people would care so much) or that they change much and risk taking out things that Kanto fans like about old Kanto.

Anyway, if they do re-make the Kanto episodes, there's a few things that I would like to see done differently. First off, (and I posted this in a different topic) put some Pichus in the Pikachu nest in Pikachu's Goodbye and change some of their tails to signify that there are some females. Also, remove certain errors, such as the Mewtwo picture on Bill's house (which shouldn't have been there because no one other than Team Rocket and their contractors even knew about Mewtwo at that time). Change the colouring on that female Butterfree to the official shiny coloration so that it has more meaning. Remove the concept of "there's only 150 known Pokémon and all others are new discoveries" because in the Johto episodes they mention a lot of these "new" Pokémon having always been there so they weren't "new" at all. And that concept doesn't even make sense since #150 is Mewtwo, who no one knew about at the time, so there couldn't have been 150 known species anyway. Also, remove old concepts that were never expanded on, such as when Brock said "you can transfer Pokémon between your party and Prof. Oak's lab by using a button in the Pokédex" which was just ignored in later episodes all together. And they should make a Safari Zone episode, maybe not with all the guns, but they need to show where those Tauros just magically appeared from.

All this being hypothetical... I agree with this.

Yeah but so were the TR vs TP episodes and the banned Barboach episode.
I'm not familiar with the Barboach episode. As for the Rocket vs. Plasma... the difference is that the episode took place at around the same time as the earthquake so people might draw a connection (even though there was none). The Tentacruel episode was made long before any earthquake so its clearly not connected. That would be like banning Independence Day (the movie) in which the White House was destroyed on grounds that it was reminiscent of the September 11th terrorist attacks on the Pentagon, when clearly the movie was made way before the attack and had no connection to it whatsoever.
The other thing is, if they did decide that it would be a bad idea to show this episode, they could always just skip over it. They skipped over Beuty and the Beach and this is the episode right after it so it doesn't really make much of a difference. Especially because it has nothing to do with the plot... and the general message was the same as the Diglett episode anyway. The only important thing that happened is that Misty caught her Horsea, but Horsea isn't even that important. Also, besides the flooding of the city, there were semi-automatic machine guns being used in this episode, and I don't understand why that was never censored or cut or anything in the first place.

It has been confirmed that tomorrow's Pokémon Smash episode will feature a digitally remastered version of the very first anime episode. So at least one episode will get this treatment.

It is rather a shame that they didn't opt to create brand new footage for the anniversary special, though.

It has been confirmed that tomorrow's Pokémon Smash episode will feature a digitally remastered version of the very first anime episode. So at least one episode will get this treatment.

It is rather a shame that they didn't opt to create brand new footage for the anniversary special, though.

They would have to hire Misty's VA again if they did, remember she gets a short 2 minute scene in the first episode.

Just reanimate the first episode. That's enough to celebrate the fifteen years.

If they'd reanimate the entire first series that'd would be a loss for them. They'd have nothing new to showcase, and it's the new Pokemon that move this franchise. Why remake something old to cater to a small niche, while you can create something new to cater to a large group?

And don't come at me with the game remakes. We know those can't live on their own without the main new versions of the current generation.

They would have to hire Misty's VA again if they did, remember she gets a short 2 minute scene in the first episode.
They could always get someone with a similar voice. Or even if they did redraw everything, they could reuse all the sounds from the original episode. Unless they expanded that scene to give her more dialogue or whatever.

And don't come at me with the game remakes. We know those can't live on their own without the main new versions of the current generation.
The remakes probably would have been able to live on their own. Lots of video games have been remade with improved graphics / extra features and they have done just fine. Ocarina of Time 3D... Final Fantasy III... etc. Why would Pokémon be any different?

NO WAY!!
I'm sure that somehow, probably unintentionaly, they would mess something up and make everyone mad.
and i honestly like Kanto's animation better than the new ones.. but maybe thats just me

Would've been cool if this was also in widescreen, but the remaster's still nice.

Did they re-animate it, or is it the original film re-scanned and restored? How does it compare to the work Paramount's done on the Star Trek TV shows?

It's just the original film restored, by the looks of things. Nothing redrawn or reanimated. Even watching it on Keyhole, the colours were a lot more vibrant (or at least, moreso than my memory is letting on) than those of the original, in any case. Particularly noticeable when they air part of original Orange Island footage after the episode finishes.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom