• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you watch Let's Plays?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Recently I've gotten into watching Let's Plays in the background while I'm working. It's good white noise for me to help focus, while also having a visual if I ever want to take a break. It's helped me revisit some older games of mine that are favorites, in particular.

Do you watch Let's Plays? If so, who are some of your favorite LPers/series that you've seen? Have you ever played along with a Let's Play? Discuss in the thread below!

I used to watch a lot of Chuggaaconroy years ago, as well as a few other let's players. I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but I also watch KZxcellent (in particular his SMT let's plays) and JohneAwesome (also SMT). I never play along since I don't want to accidentally get spoiled lol, but they do make for some good entertainment when I'm not in a Netflix mood.

I'll be honest I generally don't watch that many, partly because if I kept filling my watch queues with LPs I'd never finish. I do have a decent number of followed channels on Twitch, and every now and then I'll pop in and see if anyone's going and then just stick around and watch for a bit. The only one to really break this trend I have has been SnapCube's stream vods, which I'll just throw into my YouTube queue and watch start to finish, because she just has such great energy and is a treat to watch.

Hm... Depends on my mood. There was this guy who did a lets play of BOTW and he was so in love with it, mirroring the wonder I felt when I played it, which was fun. Also, he was hilarious to watch. I don't remember his username, but IIRC he was known mainly for Pokemon.

Let's Plays? Not usually, except maybe as a guide when I want to know how to progress in a game I'm playing. But the only (few) full LPs I'll watch are games that I would be interested in seeing for the story but would not play first-hand, mainly Point-'n-Click Adventure games. And, yes, it is odd when you consider that I've made LP series myself on my own YT channel...

Generally, I prefer livestreams for the interaction with the streamer, and other viewers, in the chat to just watching recordings.

I used to watch LP’s all the time, but now it seems most of the people I watched moved on to Twitch

I enjoy Darko on occasion, though that's mostly for his Five Nights at Freddy's content. JackSepticeye is good. Mattpat and I enjoy Graystillplays (who was my first gaming follow when he did his Sims 4 playthroughs-which he doesn't do anymore for some reason despite people begging him into the comments to go back to them). Now he just does GTA V and stupid mobile games with occasional happywheels so now I just watch him for the GTA V stuff.

I've never been able to get into them. Which in a way is kinda disappointing to me? There are a few games that I'm interested in seeing the story of but don't want to/can't afford to shill out the money to play myself, so you'd think watching LPs would be a good solution... but I can't usually even get through an episode without getting sick of whoever the person playing is. Like regardless of the Let's Player's personality or how good the game seems, I just cannot bring myself to enjoy watching a total stranger play a video game.

I still watch some Let's Plays from time to time. I usually watch shorter series or one-shot LPs since I tend to have a lot of work to do.

I used to watch Chuggaconroy religiously as a kid, and he's probably one of the biggest reasons I got into Nintendo games at all. I love how thorough he is with what he does, amd how much effort he puts into his videos, like infographics and whatnot. I'd like to go through some of his more recent LPs to catch up on my CC lore, but some of them are just so long coughxenobladecough. His collab channel with ProtonJon and NintendoCapriSun is also fun to listen to.

Edit: gdi, not this again

Aside from him, I also follow Pikasprey's second channel and try to catch his streams on Twitch whenever I can. I like his Pokemon and RPG maker game playthroughs the most.

I also really like ManlyBadassHero, who plays a lot of horror games. His channel is something special, because he doesn't scream every 3 seconds like other youtubers who play the same games. His voice is actually calming and good to listen to as background noise. He also manages to dig up a lot of really interesting and unknown indie games too, which is cool.

Last edited:
Only for games I've already played or plan on playing. I binged a lot of Life Is Strange LPs sometime ago, since I like seeing the outcomes for options I didn't pick, and also it's entertaining in a similar fashion to watching a movie. For me, the game itself is only one half of the enjoyability in a LP. If I like the game but the gamer is totally irritating, I'm probably not gonna bother past the ten minute mark.

Sometimes I just watch them just for rofls and absurdity, like Bad Rats or that KFC dating sim.

I like to watch Let's Plays of certain people, I definitely enjoy watching those who play Zelda or Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy. I like to see their reactions to parts that were huge plot twists or when they get to a hard boss to see what they do. I also just like to listen to them sometimes especially when I am feeling anxious.

i wish i've understood what people found appealing on let's plays. is it because they want to see through another person's eyes what a particular game is about before they try it themselves? or is it more for entertainment? if it's the former, i usually do a bit of research into game reviews and the like and watch a few gameplay videos before making a purchase decision, and if it's the latter.... maybe it's a time thing but i haven't really the interest to really get into the lets play genre.

on the surface it seems appealing to watch someone journey through a particular game and make commentary on it, but in that case i'd just watch someone stream. is there a difference, here? idk.

i wish i've understood what people found appealing on let's plays. is it because they want to see through another person's eyes what a particular game is about before they try it themselves? or is it more for entertainment? if it's the former, i usually do a bit of research into game reviews and the like and watch a few gameplay videos before making a purchase decision, and if it's the latter.... maybe it's a time thing but i haven't really the interest to really get into the lets play genre.
Tends to be a bit of both as I understand. Sometimes it's a bit more for watching the personality/ies involved having a fun time with the game being more of a background noise, and sometimes it just feels really good watching somebody play something where you can tell they're genuinely enjoying it and having a great time, especially if you already know the game.
on the surface it seems appealing to watch someone journey through a particular game and make commentary on it, but in that case i'd just watch someone stream. is there a difference, here? idk.
I feel like extended stream playthroughs and LPs are honestly pretty interchangeable. A Let's Play might have some tighter editing to remove dead air or something, but I feel like there's no functional difference between watching a 4-part stream series of somebody playing Metroid Prime and a 30-part LP series of the same. Only real difference is that one has a greater number of shorter episodes than the other.

To me, I guess the appeal varies on a case-by-case basis.

If it's a channel you normally follow otherwise, then you are probably watching the LP for the personality of the person playing it, than the game itself.

Unedited LPs make nice background noise when you are occupied with non-essential tasks in your own game (which could even be the same game).

Otherwise, I generally prefer edited LPs and then being partitioned into a series of shorter episodes. Gives it more of a "highlight reel" impression, and it's easier to make comments on specific moments.

I do watch them, but I don't stick to any particular channel. I search LP's by the video game played, which means I get to watch a lot of less known LPers which is good since I don't really care for youtube "celebrities".

I do however ignore LP's that have a livechat going on. I found that LPers tend to get distracted by it constantly, which I find annoying.

I used to every day, but my favorite channels banned me. ;_;

I also produce my own which unfortunately involves watching them a lot for editing reasons.

Back
Top Bottom