• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you wear glasses?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
The title says it all: do you wear glasses? Or perhaps contact lenses, or have you had some other type of aids provided or procedures done for your eyesight? How well can you see, or were able to see, without any aids or procedures? Did you get glasses or contact lenses when you were younger, or when you were older? Do you enjoy wearing them, hate wearing them, or have no feelings one way or another? Do you have a favorite color, frame, or some other style of glasses that you’ve worn before or are currently wearing? And are there any other experiences with glasses, contact lenses, or any other similar things that you think would be funny, insightful, or otherwise interesting to share here?

As for me? Well, being the kind of paranoid person that I tend to be on the internet (even here), let’s just say that I’ve had pretty much 20/20 vision for as long as I can remember and leave it at that. Whether that’s from glasses or from having the gift of perfect natural vision is something that you’ll just have to guess for yourself, haha.

I do! I started needing them for nearsightedness when I was ten years old, and then about halfway through high school my vision got worse and ever since I've needed to wear them all the time except for when I'm reading. I can't bring myself to try contacts; I hate touching my eyes :(

No but I look damn good in them, so it’s kind of a shame I have 20/20 vision lmao (though I haven’t actually had that checked in years)

Yep I’m short sighted (-2.75) and I started in middle school. At home I only wear them if I’m watching TV. At uni or school I’d wear them if I was looking at the board, later on I started wearing them all the time but I take them off when I don’t need them. I wear contacts when I’m out usually.

I wore glasses for some time when I was 4 / 5 years old because an eye doctor decided I needed them, but eventually I was not able to properly see through my glasses anymore so I stopped wearing them. I've never had any trouble with my eyesight since oddly enough. Never wore contacts either.

I don't wear glasses but haven't had my eyes checked for quite a long time, last time was 2006 I think when I was starting to learn to drive and they said my eyesight was pretty good and I didn't need glasses. I haven't noticed any changes in my eyesight since then and my vision still seems ok and can read fairly small text from a distance still. I think I'll need them when I get older though as my parents started to need glasses in their 40s.

Last edited:
I wear glasses for distance. I used to take them off at home when I wasn't out when I first were prescribed them when I was 11. Starting when I was thirteen and started seriously noticing problems when looking at them from the back of one of my classrooms even with them on and another eye exam I started wearing them full-time and have come to the conclusion I look better with them than without them after wearing them for so long.

I have glasses, but I rarely wear them because my vision is just barely good enough to use a computer, which is all I do all day at home & at work. I think I look better with them, so besides when I genuinely need to see, I'll wear them anytime I want to make a good impression, e.g. job interviews, fancy events, etc.

Yes, I do wear glasses, starting in late 2007 (towards the end of my undergraduate studies at university, so I was almost 23 when I started wearing glasses). I enjoy wearing glasses, but never wore contact lenses, and I don't think I will wear contacts.

No. But... I really should be. Back in fifth grade I remember I got my eyes checked and it was determined I needed glasses. My parents made me wear them in school for a while (for long distance reading in the classroom), but I stopped shortly after that IIRC. There exist no pictures of me with glasses from that time, that's how little I wore them. :LOL:

It was determined that I'd need glasses to drive, so I wore them again when I tried to learn to drive. My parents even bought me these expensive prescription sunglasses, but in the end I wore them mostly for marching band rehearsals in high school. Driving scared me and thus was shelved until "later", but before "later" could come I had developed vision problems and was never to drive anyway.

So, no, no glasses since high school marching band.

Nope, no glasses here, at least not yet. I'm fairly sure I have 20/10 vision, but I feel like it's been very slightly declining recently... and both of my parents have worn glasses since their twenties I believe, so I know it's probably only a matter of time before I'll need them too.

If that happens I'll likely go for contacts anyway, since glasses don't suit me and the yuck factor of contacts doesn't really bother me that much lol.

Yep. I'm incredibly farsighted with a +10.00 perscription in both eyes (well, the left one should be up to 10 by now seeing as it's been a couple of years since I've had my eyes checked, and they've been getting worse for years). I've had glasses since I was 3 I believe, and can hardly see without them. Additionally, I had a surgical procedure done around that time to correct an issue I was having where my eyes would go cross a lot, without me even trying.

In my early teens I heavily considered switching over to contacts, but plans never went through for that and I lost interest in them.

Only when I drive, as I'm just nearsighted enough to have a hard time reading signs and the like. Otherwise I don't need them in most other cases. Although I do, occasionally, wear them when reading something online, especially if the text color and background color blend a bit too well to make it hard to read. I started wearing glasses roughly in college due to becoming more nearsighted as I got older. Now my eyes seemed to have settled on a roughly 18/20 vision level that has been consistent for the past few years so I don't need to adjust the strength my glasses anymore. I never considered contacts as I'm very flinch-y when it comes to my eyes, even more so that most people. And I like the style of my glasses (rectangular half-frame) so I'm content with them, especially since I've had them for over 10 years (unlike my parents who lose, and eventually find/replace, their glasses more than most people change their underwear).

As mentioned earlier, I wear glasses and I got an appointment with my optometrist next Thursday in Taylors Lakes, the day after I am due to get my booster shot. It's been a while because of coronavirus (and I have been on my laptop a lot over the past year), so I will tell you the situation next Thursday.

I don't need glasses when I'm at home, or all that urgently when I go out. I've been wearing them since I was about 9-10, though, when I discovered I was nearsighted. I noticed a bit too late that I didn't have my current pair of glasses fitted to my face properly, so they squeeze on my temples after a while and I've stopped wearing them for the past few years because of that. lol That, and I decided for a while that I looked better without them (but I'm too squeamish to get contacts). I plan to go back to just wearing glasses again once I can get back to the doctor to have my prescription updated and a new pair of frames.

I had to be in vision therapy for a while in elementary school and wore glasses from...I believe headstart until beginning of sixth grade. I think I have a lazy eye (left eye) but was told (this was back in the 90s) that laser surgery would do nothing to correct my vision at all so it was a waste of money and time.

Back
Top Bottom