• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you wish Nintendo released EVENTS more often?

If they want to keep regular people interested in the series and promote game sales, they should do events every three months at the beginning of a new generation and make commercials (like they did with Jirachi in HG/SS, which is how I found out about it). Not only would this keep Pokémon in the public eye, it would possibly bring back some of that feverish fandom from the early 00's and it would keep older fans satisfied, as we'd have access to Pokémon we haven't gotten in years, such as Manaphy or Shaymin.

I don't remember them ever doing commercials for events, but it seems like such a waste of money to make a commercial just for a free download. Now if they mention the event alongside the game, that's a different story because then they give greater incentive for you to go out and buy the game. But after the game is already in everyone's hands? That wouldn't be quite as effective.

They did one for Jirachi. It was around the end of Gen. 4, beginning of Gen. 5... So of course they made a commercial to promote the new games.

If they want to keep regular people interested in the series and promote game sales, they should do events every three months at the beginning of a new generation and make commercials (like they did with Jirachi in HG/SS, which is how I found out about it). Not only would this keep Pokémon in the public eye, it would possibly bring back some of that feverish fandom from the early 00's and it would keep older fans satisfied, as we'd have access to Pokémon we haven't gotten in years, such as Manaphy or Shaymin.

I don't remember them ever doing commercials for events, but it seems like such a waste of money to make a commercial just for a free download. Now if they mention the event alongside the game, that's a different story because then they give greater incentive for you to go out and buy the game. But after the game is already in everyone's hands? That wouldn't be quite as effective.

They did one for Jirachi. It was around the end of Gen. 4, beginning of Gen. 5... So of course they made a commercial to promote the new games.

Was Jirachi released around the time HGSS came out? I don't remember. It wouldn't make sense to have a commercial for it anytime after.

Was Jirachi released around the time HGSS came out? I don't remember. It wouldn't make sense to have a commercial for it anytime after.

Yep. Right at the beginning, I'm guessing. If I remember right the event was around January 2010...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEEpVQnPx3M

Do them more often and, oh here's one....

all event legendaries automatically have perfect I.V.'s

Yep. Right at the beginning, I'm guessing. If I remember right the event was around January 2010...

Now see, that's different. They're using Jirachi to help promote HGSS, so it makes sense to advertise that. Arbitrarily advertising an event Pokemon not associated with the release of a new game isn't quite as worth it.

Well, I don't think we should have events more often. The whole reason they are special is because they are very rare, and for the ones that you get from Gamestop, Toys R Us, etc., going there to get it just adds on to the magic. But I do wish that before they shut down Nintendo Wi-Fi that they had some huge event blowout for Gens IV and V.

Lightningrod Pikachu. There was absolutely no way to get Pikachu in 5th gen, and the U.S. was never given one through events. Luckily it was breedable, so this wasn't that hard to get, but still.

The US got Lightning Rod Pikachu at the 2012 World Championships in Hawaii. I live in the UK where the only way to get Lightning Rod Pikachu was by buying Black and White 2 in a common supermarket some time after the release date of the games so anyone who bought them on the release date missed out on this event. In Generation VI Lightning Rod Pikachu is available in any Friend Safari with Pikachu so it isn't very rare in Generation VI. Living in the UK I think we have the right amount of events but I expect it is due to having a lot of events within a small distance compared to the US where some people have to travel a long way to get to a local event.

Now see, that's different. They're using Jirachi to help promote HGSS, so it makes sense to advertise that. Arbitrarily advertising an event Pokemon not associated with the release of a new game isn't quite as worth it.

But what I said was that they could do events every three months at the BEGINNING of a generation. So maybe four events, all promoting the current games, for the first year of a generation. Then they'd do it again with the third version/sequels/prequels/whatever.

I agree with all of those who say that we need global Wi-Fi events, and Nintendo should definitely make events more frequent. However, I'm more worried about the accessibility of these events than I am about the frequency. A lot of these event seem to take place in game stores, and not everyone has access to those specific store depending on where they live. So yeah, more Wi-Fi events for everyone!

Lightningrod Pikachu. There was absolutely no way to get Pikachu in 5th gen, and the U.S. was never given one through events. Luckily it was breedable, so this wasn't that hard to get, but still.

The US got Lightning Rod Pikachu at the 2012 World Championships in Hawaii. I live in the UK where the only way to get Lightning Rod Pikachu was by buying Black and White 2 in a common supermarket some time after the release date of the games so anyone who bought them on the release date missed out on this event. In Generation VI Lightning Rod Pikachu is available in any Friend Safari with Pikachu so it isn't very rare in Generation VI. Living in the UK I think we have the right amount of events but I expect it is due to having a lot of events within a small distance compared to the US where some people have to travel a long way to get to a local event.

I forgot about that, but that wasn't distributed to everyone, only people who entered the tournament. So it still wasn't very fair because only a select number of people in the U.S. could get one.

But what I said was that they could do events every three months at the BEGINNING of a generation. So maybe four events, all promoting the current games, for the first year of a generation. Then they'd do it again with the third version/sequels/prequels/whatever.

Except the marketing for new games generally stops after about a month or two, so that wouldn't really work past the first event.

I forgot about that, but that wasn't distributed to everyone, only people who entered the tournament. So it still wasn't very fair because only a select number of people in the U.S. could get one.

Except the marketing for new games generally stops after about a month or two, so that wouldn't really work past the first event.

Exactly. If they kept the marketing going past then, maybe the Pokémon games would sell even more. That'd be a force to be reckoned with. And they don't have to make commercials. I meant they could have events every three months, and commercials for the first two of the generation.

Exactly. If they kept the marketing going past then, maybe the Pokémon games would sell even more. That'd be a force to be reckoned with. And they don't have to make commercials. I meant they could have events every three months, and commercials for the first two of the generation.

Yeah, marketing is great, but how would you go about marketing an event distribution if not through commercials? My point is that commercials cost money, and that they typically stop making commercials a few months into release because that's about when sales start to taper off (and thus the money they spend on those commercials is no longer worth it).

The quote pyramids are getting really out of hand.

OT yes I wish there were more event distributions. I hate that I never got Genesect...they really dropped the ball on that one. But not more Gamestop distributions...those were annoying and a lame attempt to get people inside the store, when you could just stand outside and get the event Pokemon.

Since Pokemon isn't as popular as it is in Japan, maybe they don't think it's worthwhile to do the distributions anywhere else?

Pretty much. Yeah.

Before I moved to a new town, the little amount of events they had were at locations that were an hour away from where I lived and I would always miss them. Sometimes I would have the time to go to them but it wasn't often. I wish they gave every opportunity for those who want to complete their Pokedex. Wi-Fi, game stores, and toy stores...

Location is not the only issue. I also see the events they release in Japan and can't help but be green with envy, and I mean Jolly Green Giant green! They get a lot of cool stuff and downloads. Event Pokemon are a given, but when Gen V was a thing, I really wanted those Kanto final starter skins for the C-Gear. North America didn't get them, period. All we got during that giveaway was a worthless musical. I was really frustrated at that and thought that was really unfair. It's a terrible tease when you see the events released in Japan and then you are hit with the realization that you more than likely will not be getting it, and it sucks!

Yes, Pokemon XY lacks of events, I'm tired of seeing "there are no gifts found", it has been a long time since Pokemon hasn't had an event.

YES.
Is that even a legitimate question? I'd like to see the odd person say, "Nope, had enough."
Never enough events. Ever.

It really sucks that most XY events are event-centered and not wifi! C'mon ninty, we have wifi for a reason. And most poggey players are hermits anyway.

I would really like a cool event ticket thing (that would be given away through wifi, of course), and it unlocks this whole mini-but-not-so-mini-story arc in the game.
I want that :(

Why is the US getting the shaft for these events? I found out that Pokémon Centers in Japan will get a special-patterned Vivillon and a Jirachi...okay, so we got a special Vivillon from the GTS milestone thingy, but the Poké Ball patterned one looks cooler.

Apparently, we're all about M-rated crap like The Last of Us rather than a fun, colorful journey that features math if you want to be the greatest Pokémon trainer. (venting, and I'm referring to the EV-training)

Part of me sincerely wishes that folks at Nintendo read fan-forums, specifically for this reason. Then, they'd be able to see that the whole world wants even Pokemon, not just Japan. Hell, even if I had to fill out an online survey, or play a crappy flash game to win the damn thing as a prize, I'D DO IT FOR A DAMNED JIRACHI.

I got out of Pokemon after Gen 2, and only recently got back into it with Gen 6, so there are a hell of a lot of events that I've missed. This means that I need to trade pretty much my best pokemon for legendaries, then create legend chains through the GTS so I can get a 'mon that some six year old will gladly trade a Darkrai for (traded a Moltres and an Articuno for 2 Darkrai to this poor kid). Even then, I'm not sure these things were legit, or just a Powersaves hack.

More events would likely reduce the amount of hacked event pokemon out there.

I just wish they'd make distributions worldwide instead of zone specific. Then again, if we do get worldwide distributions, not only the japanese folks will be using a Darkrai on wifi battles, but everyone will.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom