• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you wish Nintendo released EVENTS more often?

I agree with most everyone else here. They don't necessarily need to do events more often, but they really need to cut the region-exclusive crap. Yeah, okay, the franchise is a LOT more popular in Japan than anywhere else, we get it, but why does Game Freak seem to think that's a good reason to almost completely neglect every other part of the world?

Lightningrod Pikachu. There was absolutely no way to get Pikachu in 5th gen, and the U.S. was never given one through events. Luckily it was breedable, so this wasn't that hard to get, but still.

The US got Lightning Rod Pikachu at the 2012 World Championships in Hawaii. I live in the UK where the only way to get Lightning Rod Pikachu was by buying Black and White 2 in a common supermarket some time after the release date of the games so anyone who bought them on the release date missed out on this event. In Generation VI Lightning Rod Pikachu is available in any Friend Safari with Pikachu so it isn't very rare in Generation VI. Living in the UK I think we have the right amount of events but I expect it is due to having a lot of events within a small distance compared to the US where some people have to travel a long way to get to a local event.

I forgot about that, but that wasn't distributed to everyone, only people who entered the tournament. So it still wasn't very fair because only a select number of people in the U.S. could get one.

If they want to keep regular people interested in the series and promote game sales, they should do events every three months at the beginning of a new generation and make commercials (like they did with Jirachi in HG/SS, which is how I found out about it). Not only would this keep Pokémon in the public eye, it would possibly bring back some of that feverish fandom from the early 00's and it would keep older fans satisfied, as we'd have access to Pokémon we haven't gotten in years, such as Manaphy or Shaymin.

I don't remember them ever doing commercials for events, but it seems like such a waste of money to make a commercial just for a free download. Now if they mention the event alongside the game, that's a different story because then they give greater incentive for you to go out and buy the game. But after the game is already in everyone's hands? That wouldn't be quite as effective.

They did one for Jirachi. It was around the end of Gen. 4, beginning of Gen. 5... So of course they made a commercial to promote the new games.

Was Jirachi released around the time HGSS came out? I don't remember. It wouldn't make sense to have a commercial for it anytime after.

Yep. Right at the beginning, I'm guessing. If I remember right the event was around January 2010...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEEpVQnPx3M

Now see, that's different. They're using Jirachi to help promote HGSS, so it makes sense to advertise that. Arbitrarily advertising an event Pokemon not associated with the release of a new game isn't quite as worth it.

But what I said was that they could do events every three months at the BEGINNING of a generation. So maybe four events, all promoting the current games, for the first year of a generation. Then they'd do it again with the third version/sequels/prequels/whatever.

Except the marketing for new games generally stops after about a month or two, so that wouldn't really work past the first event.

Exactly. If they kept the marketing going past then, maybe the Pokémon games would sell even more. That'd be a force to be reckoned with. And they don't have to make commercials. I meant they could have events every three months, and commercials for the first two of the generation.

Yeah, marketing is great, but how would you go about marketing an event distribution if not through commercials? My point is that commercials cost money, and that they typically stop making commercials a few months into release because that's about when sales start to taper off (and thus the money they spend on those commercials is no longer worth it).

That's a lot of quotes

-14th movie Shiny Hydreigon/Golurk. They really fucked things up with the 14th movie events internationally. Reshiram/Zekrom was late, and we never saw the shinies.
This one is a massive sore point with me, for very obvious reasons.

The movies themselves made it a point to feature at least one of the shinies; Japan gets an event for them and we get nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Getting the Dragons was nice but they were released far too late and I honestly didn't care about them at all. All I wanted was that slagging Golurk and I had to make do with a Japanese one I found via the Gen V GTS and it lacks the blasted Ribbon. Good Nature, horrible stats and hacked. I know he's hacked but since he's the closest thing I'll get to the actual event Golurk, he stays.

And that's a pity, as I'd rather the actual event Golurk. But we never got it. Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes I want events released more often. Or at least, stop ignoring us NOA. =/

I don't really mind they're not released more often. But they need to be released simultaneously worldwide. Guess why hacks exist? Because people want the content in the game but Nintendo/Game Freak are holding it back or making it exclusive to somewhere most people can't even attend.

Right now, there have been events over the past month or so in Japan for:
Charizard with the opposing Mega Stone
Gyarados holding its Mega Stone
Scizor holding its Mega Stone
Kangaskhan holding its Mega Stone
Gengar holding its Mega Stone
Tyranitar holding its Mega Stone
Mawile holding its Mega Stone
A special Pikachu holding a Light Ball
Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

To top it all off, they get Shiny Jirachi and Pokéball Vivillon starting in two weeks time.

Moves like this are a huge slap in the face to everyone who doesn't happen to live in the region.

Once an event has ended, it should go on wi-fi and remain there permanently, so that years down the line, people can still get the content.

I don't really mind they're not released more often. But they need to be released simultaneously worldwide. Guess why hacks exist? Because people want the content in the game but Nintendo/Game Freak are holding it back or making it exclusive to somewhere most people can't even attend.

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

To top it all off, they get Shiny Jirachi and Pokéball Vivillon starting in two weeks time.

Moves like this are a huge slap in the face to everyone who doesn't happen to live in the region.

Once an event has ended, it should go on wi-fi and remain there permanently, so that years down the line, people can still get the content.

And in that same time, the US has had:
Fancy Vivillon
Shiny Mamoswine ONLY if you happen to be at the VGC Nationals

I don't know about the rest of the world.

I agree, fans shouldn't get the short end of the stick simply because they weren't in the right place at the right time or didn't have access to WiFi. I don't know about you guys, but I can't invest in a trip to the VGC Nationals just so I can get a Mamoswine.

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

You do know that most of the Mega Stones can already be obtained in game, right? So it's not that big a deal if we miss those. Charizard, Pokeball Vivillon, and the event legendaries, though? That's a bigger deal, and it's upsetting to think we'll probably miss all of those except for Diancie and maybe Poke Ball Vivillon.

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

You do know that most of the Mega Stones can already be obtained in game, right?
I am completely aware of that. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they're giving away limited items you can only get one of without trading or restarting the game.

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

You do know that most of the Mega Stones can already be obtained in game, right?
I am completely aware of that. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they're giving away limited items you can only get one of without trading or restarting the game.

I don't really see much of a need for multiple Mega Stones, you can only use one per battle and distributing extras to everyone decreases their trade value.

The general idea of what Nintendo should do is that they should have the events like normal but offer older events on the eShop for download for those who missed them. If-and ONLY if- they must be sold, make it like 50 cents or a dollar, lest we create a Capcom-esque controversy.

Bang,everyone wins.

Event exclusive pokemon are on disc dlc. People say it's okay cause you don't pay for it but you still have to have the game at the right time. The least they can do is give new players some possibility of catching up. It would be nice if I didn't have to destroy my old collection for the sake of a new one.

If I understand correctly we have. All of the Japan only events have basically been the local wireless gamestop type thing. Now you would think they would be able to use the Nintendo zones for those but that requires logic.

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

Wait wait wait,the get a damn shiny jirachi,and we get a VIVILLION?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!!?!?!WTF?

Darkrai
Diancie
Fancy Vivillon

Wait wait wait,the get a damn shiny jirachi,and we get a VIVILLION?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!!?!?!WTF?
Yes, but not only that, they get the Shiny Jirachi, a special Pokéball Vivillon, *and* the same Fancy Vivillon that we get.

I'm very mad over this whole "events" thing... first of all, XY was a joke in that regard, giving us only Torchic and Fancy Vivillon... the games are finally getting global release, we have wifi, there is absolutely no excuse at all to limit 99% of the events to in-store distribution that mean if you don't like in the right place you're screwed... (and seems like even these don't happen nearly as often as Japan gets it)
We should at least get the Pokéball Vivillon over wifi down the line but something tells me it won't happen... and that's gonna make it a real pain for one to complete his Vivillon collection (as if it isn't a total pain to do without event patterns existing...) and I'm still hoping that maybe at least we'll get Diancie over wifi but better not expect that either

You know what's the worst though? that past event pkmn keep their event status... like... WHY?... I can understand maybe keeping last gen's ones... but the gen 1-4 even pkmn have absolutely no excuse to still keep this status... we already have like 15+ event pkmn and it's becoming more and more ridiculous with every gen...
We really should be able to just catch them in-game... maybe make it a bit more complicated by restricting them to be available only to players with an otherwise complete dex, so they're still sort of "special"...

ORAS should at the very least have a Jirachi as the "Torchic" of this game (a game release wifi event) which btw is a pkmn I never managed to get so far since I got HGSS a bit too late for that event and they never distributed it since (while Japan is getting it like yearly for the Tanabata festival, I think... and they're getting a SHINY one this time)
I'd like to believe we'll at least get this Jirachi, maybe Deoxys too (I got the Deoxys distributed to BW or was it BW2, so I don't care as much about it... although I wouldn't say no to having another one)

Maybe, one day, I'll have my own Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin and Meloetta... maybe... probably not... oh, and that Pokéball Vivillon... now joining these legendaries to the same stupid "event status"...

You do know that most of the Mega Stones can already be obtained in game, right? So it's not that big a deal if we miss those. Charizard, Pokeball Vivillon, and the event legendaries, though? That's a bigger deal, and it's upsetting to think we'll probably miss all of those except for Diancie and maybe Poke Ball Vivillon.

They could be giving away free ice cream, the point is Nintendo showers Japan with free stuff and video game memorabilia and gives a big middle finger to the west.

It's probably because they are mad the Westerners don't buy as many Wii's as they do Xboxes and PS4s. This is YOUR FAULT AMERICA!

"First, from August 13th to September 17th, you will be able to download Heracross or Pinsir to your X & Y games over the Internet. In addition to that, if you go to Gamestop stores from August 18th to August 31st, you'll be able to receive a special serial code to download the Heracronite or Pinsirite Mega Stones."

That's a complete joke. Aside from how worthless Heracross/Pinsir are as a special giveaway even with their mega stones, compared to things like Pokéball Vivillon or Diancie, we don't even really get their mega stones..... unless we can go to the in-store event... like, wtf?! it's as if they split the event in half, giving over wifi the less useful half and giving in-store the better half......

I think we can safely say it actually hurts them to give us anything over wifi... sigh...

"First, from August 13th to September 17th, you will be able to download Heracross or Pinsir to your X & Y games over the Internet. In addition to that, if you go to Gamestop stores from August 18th to August 31st, you'll be able to receive a special serial code to download the Heracronite or Pinsirite Mega Stones."

That's a complete joke. Aside from how worthless Heracross/Pinsir are as a special giveaway even with their mega stones, compared to things like Pokéball Vivillon or Diancie, we don't even really get their mega stones..... unless we can go to the in-store event... like, wtf?! it's as if they split the event in half, giving over wifi the less useful half and giving in-store the better half......

I think we can safely say it actually hurts them to give us anything over wifi... sigh...

As long as they switch the Mega Stones so you're not just getting the same one you can already get, I'm frankly quite happy to be getting something for once this gen. Hurts to give us anything over Wi-Fi? More like it hurts them to give us anything period. NA hasn't gotten shit this gen aside from the Blazikenite event at the beginning of 6th gen and the Bank Celebi, they've been so fucking stingy with events lately and I have no idea why. Even Europe and Australia have been getting more events than us, at least they got the Electabuzz/Magmar serial code event. Every other region got that one except NA.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom